Laser II inserts?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Newbi

Laser II inserts?

Post by Newbi »

The lasers that I got have brass inserts in the front. I haven't weighed them, but they are quite a bit heavier than aluminum inserts of the same size. Does anyone use aluminum, and if so which do you prefer? Does it change the flight of the arrow?
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

I changed mine out and went to aluminum.

There is quite a bot of difference in weight..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Newbi

Post by Newbi »

Woody, what is the proper size to change out the brass for aluminum? I know that the 2216 inserts don't fit.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

It has been awhile, but there are certain inserts for the carbons... I think.

Maybe someone else on here remembers better than I do.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
BUCKSHOT

I think!

Post by BUCKSHOT »

The weight of your insert should be judged by other factors! The length of your arrow, the weight of your points, the length of your vanes, and the weight of your rear insert. All these factors are important to maintain a particular balance of your arrow during flight. I am not sure of the exact proprtions but there is a range you should try to maintain!
If you want to know the proper insert weight you might ask bj, he would know off the top of his head!
It is important to remember that the front end of your bolt leads the back end to the target, and if you cut down the weight too much, you may sacrifice some accuracy and consistency.
You might also assume that the weight distribution is correct and replace your brass inserts with alluminum of a similar weight!
Just .02 for ya, hope it helps!
Happy tinkering :wink:
Enjoy the Harvest!

re

Post by Guest »

Red Label

Post by Red Label »

GaryL

Post by GaryL »

I use both, the brass cut a few fps off the top end but with my exomag at 20-30 yrds can see no drop in the bolts. I can weigh out the difference in the bolts if you want as I can't rembere the diff at this time. Idon't rembere the fps diff. but can also check it out. You might do a search and get your answere.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Newbi

Post by Newbi »

Thank you everyone! I will probably stay with the brass for now. I've been shooting them for a while and the fly very well with 4" vanes. I just happened to be going through some of my arrow building material and for the first time really noticed the difference in weight of the two insert materials and got curious. I'm not that much of a fanatic, just inquisitive at times. I'm pretty much of the opinion that, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But I know that if I have any question there are people here who have the answers, and that's reassuring. This is a great forum!! :D