economy option arrows/broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MickB

economy option arrows/broadheads

Post by MickB »

Hi guys for a 380 what might be the cheapest brand/type in arrows and broadheads for general hunting if I was happy to stay around 400-425 grains. I am figuring out some costs here in Australia where I will be (hopefully) shooting a lot of our feral species if I get the 380. And wanted something that won't kill the pocket too much.

I also wondered what bolt/broadhead survivability is generally like for hunting with these fast bows? Do they always get lost/destroyed each shot?
paulaboutform

Re: economy option arrows/broadheads

Post by paulaboutform »

Hey Mick, kinda tough question as there are some variables. Aluminums are probably the cheapest but the durability isn't great. They bend easily and after enough target shooting the aluminum tends to just get weaker. I would still tend to go with carbons....and still the black eagle zombie slayers. If I was down under, I'd look into buying the bare shafts in bulk to get a break in cost. Next I'd buy all the components, i.e., plastic nocks, blazer vanes, brass inserts and target points. Next I'd buy the Arizona Rim E-Z Fletch Bolt and epoxy (G5 Blue Glue is my choice). I'd buy extra vanes and inserts and nocks and points. I have an arrow saw but I'm sure a local shop would cut your shafts to size or possibly your seller.
Personally, my list would be :
- 3 dozen zombie shafts
- 4 dozen 92gr brass inserts
- 5 dozen yellow nocks
- 200 blazer vanes
- 100 filed points
- 2 bottles of adhesive glue
- Arizona Rim E-Z Fletch Bolt

It's a huge initial expense but you'd be good (and self sufficient) for a long time.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Throw in a couple strings, a serving jig and spool of Angel Majesty serving..
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I really like the Carbon Express XTs for the price - they fly like field points for me and leave a big nasty hole in my Block target:

http://carbonexpresscrossbow.com/collec ... e-serrated
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

I have had great success with the Carbon Express broad heads as well. I bought a couple packs at Walmart last year for $12 for 3. They shoot perfect and go through deer just as good as super expensive brands.
Taylmatr

Post by Taylmatr »

I used to shoot with amazing success the carbon express Torrid expandables in my compound bow. Think I may go back to them in my 330 this yr with the price of any of the name brand broadheads going through the roof.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Paul you have the wright idea, that's what I do and learned how to make my own strings. with help of course. the arrow is the heart of it all , good arrows and a good broad head.is the key to success . JMO.
W.M.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

A home made string jig, of course. Good point. Serving tool and serving. A frequently overlooked broadhead is the Muzzy. I've seen six packs as low as $25.00. I'd say a dozen broadheads and a couple dozen replacement blades. Your initial expense would be hundreds of dollars but would pay off hugely in the end saving you nearly as much as you've spent I'd guess. Luminoks would double the cost of your shafts but a half dozen would really aid in arrow recovery.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
kd8jgu

Post by kd8jgu »

The XTs Vix mentioned I use on my vert bow
They run 16 dollars at Wally world
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
Taylmatr

Post by Taylmatr »

Antony actually harvested a deer with those heads? Wondering how the holes/blood trails were? Look like those 2 little blades would help keep the channel open and bleeding well.
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

If you're going to hunt varmints, get yourself some good rubber blunts. The will take a lot of the impact shock from the arrow and will help to keep them from zipping off into the sunset. Save the broadheads for bigger game.
Hank
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

some things you just don't buy bargain :wink: ....
exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
bubba

Post by bubba »

X-2 On what Paul said, buy in bulk and build your own. Don't compromise on Quality. cheap dime a doz, arrows, are like buying a Ferrari for a race car, and having a rag head camel jockey drive it. I wouldn't settle for less...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
cb175

Post by cb175 »

Hi Mick,

A bit closer to home for broadheads - Outback Broadheads have a lot of support from the vertical bow hunters.
http://outbackbroadheads.com.au/

I have bought my arrow components from Archery Mart in Adelaide (where I live!) and have found their prices good. They have Goldtip Laser II shafts at pretty reasonable prices. Given the state of the Aussie dollar, anything you buy from the U.S. at the moment is going to hurt the back pocket!
http://shop.archerymart.com.au/collecti ... p-lazer-ii
I don't know if these are stiff enough for your faster bow - maybe someone on here can comment?

I find they work fine out of my Ibex and will also shoot them out of my new Grizzly. This is field target shooting, not hunting.

Good luck with whatever you decide.