Is this normal for a Matrix 405

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

pfunk1543

Is this normal for a Matrix 405

Post by pfunk1543 »

I'm new to the forum and shooting crossbows. I just bought a matrix 405. Out of the box, the string is pressing down hard on the bumpers. Is this normal? The manual says that the brace height needs to be .5 to 1 inch.

I'm assuming that I'll have take the string off and twist it up? Is there a way to do this w/o their re-stringer?
Normous

Re: Is this normal for a Matrix 405

Post by Normous »

Welcome, you will need a stringing aid before you shoot it.
Danny Miller in Ohio sells a fine stringer for a reasonable cost. 740 483-2312
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

No, Your string needs twisting CCW to shorten it and get it off the bumpers ! Don't shoot it like this until you correct this problem . You want at least a 1/4 gap between string and bumpers .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
bubba

Post by bubba »

X-3 And welcome to the forum. And congrats on a great Excalibur..
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
pfunk1543

Post by pfunk1543 »

flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

You can make a slave string out of starter cord. A simple bowline knot in each end will get you going. Google Bowline knot. You want it just long enough to slip over the ends. Good luck and welcome
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Welcome aboard.
Good info given. :mrgreen:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
bubba

Post by bubba »

That will work for sure..
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
frontsite

Post by frontsite »

Why is this a big deal? Mine was like that when I first got it and I shot it and it seemed to shoot fine.
MATRIX MEGA 405 W/ Parker REDHOT scope
bubba

Post by bubba »

It's a big deal because not having the proper brace height can seriously damage your bow. The string should be off the rubbers so it don't tear them off. Proper brace height is the most important rule for your Excalibur..Not to mention the safety factor. The 405 is the beast in the line, all more reason...
Last edited by bubba on Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frontsite

Post by frontsite »

okay bubba. thanks for clearing that up. I guess I am disappointed that it comes out of the box incorrect is all. Im new to the bow world, but seems to me that a 1100$ recurve crossbow should be ready to go right away. Especially when theres nothing in the manual about it that I could see. Only mention of twisting your string that I could find was when it starts to loosen up after use.
bubba

Post by bubba »

Hey frontsite.. No big deal bud..Stick around your gonna see it's one of the biggest issues members here on the forum have, and not supplying a stringing aid with there Excalibur crossbows,that bugs us.. Most problems with our bows come's from this one issue. It's almost common,new people with Excaliburs blowing up limbs. Many of us here are trying to get Excalibur to mark on the box'es or add a stringer. So all who buy these bows.. The best crossbows made in most of our opinions. To make new customers and owners know the importance of keeping a proper brace height. I apologize sir if i came on a little strong, Sincerely. Look forward to your future post's. ...
frontsite

Post by frontsite »

No worries Bubba. I guess tomorrow Im gonna have to go buy a stringing aid so I don't break my bow. Dang it! So if you twist it up a few times, that will lift the string off the pads, right? Is that all you have to do is twist'r up a little?
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

frontsite wrote:Why is this a big deal? Mine was like that when I first got it and I shot it and it seemed to shoot fine.
Well that is just Messing with fire so to speak.

Great info above.

And welcome. I also have the 405 and love it. Congrats on a great bow
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
pfunk1543

Post by pfunk1543 »

Someone sent me a pm but I'm not allowed to read it?

How do I fix this?