Excalibur Grizzly

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Nathan_armstrong

Excalibur Grizzly

Post by Nathan_armstrong »

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum :D .... I just bought the Grizzly two weeks ago and am getting pretty excited to take it out on opening day (October 1st). So I went out the evening to set up my trail camera and as I'm walking along the river bed and edge of one of the many corn field sounding the bush I found some fresh deer droppings under a small apple tree, so I'm being as quiet as can be walking back and as I walk another 10yards a huge, and I mean huge buck jumps out of beside a bunch of brush into the riverbed. I heard him stop so I stood there waiting for a few minutes and the very quietly walk on looking for him. I walked around another 10 yards and he just bolted right towards where I was going to set up my camera!! But for my question being, when he took off he was making this really load squeal, almost like an old cars fan belt... Anyone know what that noise he was doing meant or why he was doing it? Also I bought the BOLTCUTTER broad heads for my bow, what is everyone's experience with them? Pros & cons?

Sorry this is so long!! :roll:
xcaliber

Re: Excalibur Grizzly

Post by xcaliber »

He blew to alert all the deer in the area, it sounds God Awful. I have heard that when bumping, or spooking deer several times, and I have never seen a deer return to that area for hours.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
bubba

Post by bubba »

Welcome to the forum. And congrats on your new Excalibur crossbow.. As for that buck you spooked, He was to put it mildly UPSET.. Good luck opening day..Maybe you can snort back at him, after you stick an arrow in him.Smile..
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Buddyshort

Post by Buddyshort »

He was sounding the alarm for all to hear
Nathan_armstrong

Post by Nathan_armstrong »

bubba wrote:Welcome to the forum. And congrats on your new Excalibur crossbow.. As for that buck you spooked, He was to put it mildly UPSET.. Good luck opening day..Maybe you can snort back at him, after you stick an arrow in him.Smile..

Thanks Bubba! Glad to be here, seems to be a lot of great guys and gals on here that know their stuff! As for the big buck sounding the alarm.... I forsure plan to put an arrow into him as he's my target this year! Hopefully see him on the camera or for my own eyes again :) would you have any insite on the boltcutter broad Heads?
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Not sure what that squealing sound was ??? Maybe I need to come listen to it in person :mrgreen: :mrgreen: just picking ! Welcome to the forum ! Hope you let the air out of him on opening day !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Cibby

Post by Cibby »

I was new Griz owner back in July you'll love yours I'm sure. They do shoot great.
bubba

Post by bubba »

No bud.. I have not shot any boltcutters, but i hear they are bad to the bone. I personally shoot Swhackers 125 grain for deer, and keep one Slick trick 125 grain in tow for the hogs and other game. Any how what you got will sure to put a nice hole in that buck..Don't forget to give him a snort or two, for the get back.. Good Luck..
Last edited by bubba on Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
kd8jgu

Post by kd8jgu »

I used the Boltcutters the first 5 years hunting Excaliburs
Killed plenty of critters
Switched to Magnus Stinger buzzcutts 150grn
Now using Magnus Stinger Buzzcutts 125grn both the 4 blade
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Welcome aboard, and congrats on a fine crossbow :)

Ron.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
deertrx

Post by deertrx »

Nice bow it will serve you well! :D
Good Hunting!
deertrx :mrgreen:
Matrix 380 Xtra " Sweets "
Leupold Crossbones
TT Matrix Hunter 2.5
Boo Strings Danny Millers Bumpers
18" BE Zombies, Slick Trick 150 xbow BH's
" She's a beaut Clark! "
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome and congrats on the bow!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
ExCal

Post by ExCal »

Have only had my Grizzly for 22 days. After reading this forum, I decided on the Boltcutter BH which arrived yesterday, and I couldn't be happier. One bolt at 20 and one bolt at 30 yards. Both in black and no scope adjustment needed. :D
"Archery does not get difficult or hard to understand until the arrow misses."

Milan E. Elott - Preface to "Why We Miss"

Excalibur Grizzly
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Welcome!

Sounds like you got busted by the buck. :D I'd avoid the area as much as you can - don't check cams too often, etc. When you go in to hunt make sure the wind is in your favour. Be aware that the buck might very well circle downwind of you even if conditions are ideal. That's all part of the stuff that makes hunting so much fun! :mrgreen:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.