Sighting in my 380 - red dot help

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R4fan

Sighting in my 380 - red dot help

Post by R4fan »

Finally got a chance to shoot my bow today. I set my Rinehart 18-1 about 20 yards away, and shot in the center circle, a little low and to the right. I'm using an Aimpoint Micro borrow off another rifle for now, and maybe in time for winter bow I'll get a scope or pick one up before next fall bow.

I got ahead of myself, and set the target a lot further away. Not thinking where the arrow would go, I shot and it cleared the target and went right through a large sticker bush into some dense overgrown brush that is hard to access without a flamethrower. :shock: Lesson learned on my second arrow. Backstop was fine, but the possibility of finding the arrow is slim without getting some punctures! I'll have to see if it cleared through the sticker bush before I search further.

Okay, so I go back to pull my first arrow out... and it's like the sword of Excalibur buried in a stone. So with all the things I bought for my new crossbow, an arrow puller wasn't one of them. :?

I found a vendor on ebay selling the Danny Miller arrow pullers (new), so I bought one. In the meantime I'll see if I can use rubber gloves or something to pull this thing out. I even sprayed the front of it with silicone spray to make it easier to remove. :roll:

I don't know how much drop the arrows are going to have at different distances. So for a crossbow do you sight it in at the range you plan on shooting, then use Kentucky windage (elevation) if the target is closer or farther away?
Normous

Re: Sighting in my 380 - red dot help

Post by Normous »

I would start practicing at 15 yards and advance your target in 5 yard increments then record your trajectory using the dot scope. Next, tape a small drop chart to your stock and cover it with clear packing tape to protect it. I used this method for about 5-6 deer seasons with my dot scope in the past, quite successfully I might add.

Example:
15 +2"
20 0
25 -2"
30 - 5"
35 -11"
40 -18"
Last edited by Normous on Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
R4fan

Re: Sighting in my 380 - red dot help

Post by R4fan »

Normous wrote:I would start practicing at 15 yards and advance your target in 5 yard increments then record your trajectory using the dot scope. Next, tape a small drop chart to your stock and cover it with clear packing tape to protect it. I used this method for about 5-6 deer seasons with my dot scope in the past, quite successfully I might add.
Sounds good, thanks! :D