I Need a Drink or 2,Maybe 3

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

UPSMAN

I Need a Drink or 2,Maybe 3

Post by UPSMAN »

My kids are going to be the death of me yet. I misjudged my future Son-In Laws boating skills and let him take my flats boat out for a day of fishing. It's the first time I have ever let it out of my sight without at least being on board. I took him out a couple of times and he seemed to know what he was doing. I even made him take the Coast Guard boat class. Prior to the trip, I gave him all the instructions. He assured me that he would be very careful and everything would be fine.

When he gets home from his trip he informs me that the boat broke down and he had to get towed to the dock. Says that the heat buzzer went off and he immediately turned the motor off. Waited 5 minutes and tried to crank it and it wouldn't start up.He has no clue why it over heated. Needless to say,here is what I found. Bottom two pistons on my 150 V6 Merc were melted to the cylinder walls.

This has turned out to be a $3000 fishing trip. Needless to say, I cancelled my Texas whitetail hunt. Live and learn. :cry: :cry: :cry:
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
xcaliber

Re: I Need a Drink or 2,Maybe 3

Post by xcaliber »

One question, is he still the future son in law?
Sorry about the engine, hope you get it back to top condition soon.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Man that REALLY stinks..... Sorry you had to cancel your trip... :(

Maybe it's time to reclassify his status to "EX-future son-in-law"..

On a serious note, what would cause that to happen?
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
Normous

Post by Normous »

Detonation is unkind to Pistons and Cylinder heads and Marine repairs are not cheap. Try a cigar with you drink(s), with all the stink around you nobody will bother you while your angry.
What happened? lack of fuel? not enough Octane? Did it go lean?
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

definitely not a lack of cooling, normous most likely knows of this failure.
to me, merc........ :wink:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I see broken piston rings. Detonation causes cracks or fissures in the crown of the piston. Heat seizing shows up at the skirt as a collapsed piston.
The only time I've seen broken rings is from cowbows who drive their cars like a bull ride, full tilt on start up. :roll: Yahoo!
Broken rings aren't proof of beating an engine when cold but it sure is suspect.
Sorry about your troubles Dennis.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Guys,
Sure wish I knew what caused this failure but I have no clue. My thoughts would be a cooling failure(water pump or a plugged up intake). Engine has a special low water pick-up that is on the very bottom of the foot. He might have dug it in the mud and plugged it up. I don't know enough about EFI to speculate about a fuel delivery issue.
Zombie Slayers
Boo String
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Sorry for about the engine ! Appears maybe the oiler wasn't supply any oil or at least an adequate amount to the engine . Don't know if your model mercury has a reservoir tank and automatic oiler or you mix it directly into the gas . Major repair for sure !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Waif

Post by Waif »

Ouch!
I would not want to have been the lucky winner on that one.
A couple drinks, and he'd need to hide or get put to rowing while I skied. :lol:
Wonder what the deal is....
If not being beat on, oil pump failure maybe.
Has me thinking I need a nanny cam before anyone borrows a boat, though I have not loaned one in a long time.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
strum

Post by strum »

This sucks man.. In his defense it could have been just time for this to happen.
Would you have caught it in time? maybe ...did he run it too hard ?... maybe ..
did the water pump stop up ?..maybe.. This is why i hate to borrow anything.. and also why i hate to loan anything..
I hope you will let him live :lol: :lol: :lol:
This is a good time to make him help out with all tear down and rebuild.. maybe it'll teach him something.
My son called me a couple of years ago and said his transmission stopped working.. I go look ..yep ..no fluid and its burnt up ..so i check the oil while im under the hood..yep .. you guessed it no oil either..
I have preached keeping the oil changed and fluid levels checked forever to him..well he learnt that day. They say good decisions come from experience which comes from bad decisions.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
galamb

Post by galamb »

I would put my money on a clogged carb.

The bottom two cylinders are fed by the same carb bank on that motor - no oil to the cylinders would be a top contender and would explain why both of the bottom ones only got chewed.

But hey, you could take out an insurance policy on the "future in-law", take him out fishing, even if you have to paddle, and be there when he "unfortunately falls overboard and drowns".

Cash in and buy a brand new engine with enough money left over for a couple of hunting trips :lol:

I will add, looking at the discolouration of the scoring on that one cylinder, this didn't "just happen", looks like it was brewing for a bit and just picked this occasion to finally throw in the towel - so maybe don't be too hard on him...

(ps - if you are handy enough to do this yourself the rebuild can be done for about a grand - if so inclined drop on over to marineengine.com, drop into the mercury outboard section and we can help walk you through it)
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

sorry man, I feel for ya. That's a lot of work and expense.

knowing nothing about marine engines, I wouldn't suspect cooling. I think you would see more damage on the other cylinders, and being the bottom two if any were getting cooled... it would be those two. I would lean more towards fuel or oil. EFI: not sure how they do their fuel delivery but the bottom is where crap would gather

marine is a whole nother ball game
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Normous

Post by Normous »

[quote="galamb"]I would put my money on a clogged carb.
quote]
Dennis said he has EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

This was a EFI 2.5 litre V6. About 10 years ago (at my mechanics urging) I removed the oil injection and started to mix the oil directly into the gas. So for that reason,I know that lack of oil was not a problem. I may never know what caused this but I still feel like it would not have happened had I been there. I'm not a mechanic but I can't believe that the fuel injectors on 2 separate cylinders would fail. Sure hoping that my mechanic will have an idea when I talk to him tomorrow. What really aggravates me is that I was planning on selling my boat and buying a duck boat with a mud motor. :evil: :evil:
Zombie Slayers
Boo String
bubba

Post by bubba »

That sure an'it any good news Dennis. Glad i have a hear sensor on my Suzuki 4 stroke 175, that cut's the engine off until it cool's down. It' also a shame you have to cancel your Texas trip.Hope all gets better...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)