Make your own bolts...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mr.Boiler

Make your own bolts...

Post by Mr.Boiler »

Ive been thinking... Yes, the wife gets worried when that happens.
Anyhow, I've been thinking about making my own bolts. I see that you can buy some of the materials already. Inserts, tips and so on. The shafts are what I'm really looking for. Ive tried finding them on line but I'm at a loss or where to buy them from.
Don't get me wrong. I think Excalibur makes a great bolt. Its just something I'd like to try on my own. I've made my own golf club sets and I've forged my own knives so its only natural to make my own bolts...
Anyone know where to get good shafts for crossbow bolts? Maybe even a suggestion or two on what brand you like?

Thanks!
"So at this time take, please, your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt some wild game for me." Gen. 27:3
So I took my Excalibur Micro 335 and my Marlin 336 and my Henry .22lr Frontier and did just so...
xcaliber

Re: Make your own bolts...

Post by xcaliber »

I like Black Eagles. Welcome to the forum.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
XcaliburFX

Post by XcaliburFX »

x2 Black Eagle Arrows
Assassin 360 Strata
BEA Zombie Slayer - BEA Executioner
Boo/VixenMaster/Xcaliber/NCHunterKW Strings
cld.1

Post by cld.1 »

x3 BEE,

I also like to use the Lock-N-load inserts, self aligning and no glue.
XcaliburFX

Post by XcaliburFX »

BTW, .... via Black Eagle Arrows >
Hot Melt is NOT recommended for use with Black Eagle Arrow shafts.
Assassin 360 Strata
BEA Zombie Slayer - BEA Executioner
Boo/VixenMaster/Xcaliber/NCHunterKW Strings
CrazyAce

Post by CrazyAce »

I ordered directly from BEE. Price was comparable to what all the online archery stores sell for. Think it was around 90 for a dozen SZ .001.

http://www.blackeaglearrows.com/product ... -shaft.htm
-SnotRocket-
Matrix 405
DLX scope
TriggerTech 2.5#
DrStirrup rig
8ptbuk, vixenmaster, Boo Flemish String
Zombie Slayer, Executioner
Wabi Call
ohiobuck

Post by ohiobuck »

I am wanting to give it a go myself. So far it seems black eagle executioner and zombie are popular. also gold tip laser 2. I have been searching the web on fletching jigs. Still trying to decide on which one to get.
Best of luck. keep in touch. We can compare on things.
SEC-ond 2 none

Post by SEC-ond 2 none »

Welcome ! You have come to the right place to get advice on whatever question you may have. Many knowledgeable people here. I am also new to the forum and when they give advice I listen. I have made my own arrows for many years back in my vert. bow days when I shot IBO competition. I had a lot to learn about crossbow arrows, such as Brass Inserts. I had never heard of them until I came on this forum.
My advice is to use the highest quality arrow that you can afford. The best, in my opinion, is Black Eagle ! I have the Zombies.

Happy Trails
Stephen
Matrix 380
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....Mr. Boiler...welcome to the forum..you surely have come to the right place to obtain mostly any and all information which you might need for both your bow and all of it's "needed" :lol: accessories...

....you specifically asked about arrows and what do people use and suggest...
I use the Black Eagle Archery Zombie Slayers and/ or their Executioners as previously mentioned. The ZS are more firmly spined for the continued pounding of the faster XB's like the 405 and 380...you don't mention what you shoot so I threw this in.

....I previously purchased my shafts from BEA direct and the price mentioned previously is correct....HOWEVER, I now buy my shafts through a forum member named Dan (xcalibur)...he is a BEA dealer and the prices are the lowest that I have seen. You would have to PM him for the current prices delivered to you as they are drop shipped to your door...In order to PM you will need, I believe, 5 or so posts....

....as far as a good jig goes, most of us use the Arizona EZ Fletch Bolt. It is designed for the 2" vanes...many of us use the Bohnning 2" blazers...but some use others. It puts a right helical to your vane placement on the shaft. There are other jigs out there...The long standard Bitzenberger is really not designed for putting a helical on the 2" vanes...you get more of an offset with the clamp....Bohnning also puts out a tower jig....

.....you can buy components all over the web from eBay to Lancaster Archery, to South Shore Archery..literally just google crossbow arrow components...

....if you give up on your endeavor, as you really do not save on arrow building there is a well known and respected arrow craftsman on this forum named Big John....he is known to create masterpieces that each weigh within the right front leg of a mosquito....

....Now we asked one favor of you...in order for us to help you better...assuming you want to stick around and be part of this great forum why not complete your registration information letting us know where you hail from....this helps us in helping you as to where you might find certain things you might be needing...

....finally which bow is in your arsenal and how long have you been using a crossbow...

again....welcome aboard!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

cld.1 wrote:x3 BEE,

I also like to use the Lock-N-load inserts, self aligning and no glue.

...I also use the 92g Lock-N-load inserts with my arrow construction for my 18" arras I make for my 380...One caveat however, you MUST keep checking the insert to make sure it remains tight...I have lost a few and now I check before I shoot at the beginning of each shooting session....

Last edited by amythntr on Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Welcome ! South shore Archery for all things Arrows .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Welcome aboard...
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

X2....everything Anthony said. Welcome to the forum. :D

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

X3....well said Anthony
Matrix 380 blackout
18" Zombies/92 gr. brass inserts
100 gr. Slick Trick Mag
18" Spinal Tapp's
170 gr F.O.C's
NChunter/BOO/ VixenMaster strings
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

amythntr wrote:....Mr. Boiler...welcome to the forum..you surely have come to the right place to obtain mostly any and all information which you might need for both your bow and all of it's "needed" :lol: accessories...

....you specifically asked about arrows and what do people use and suggest...
I use the Black Eagle Archery Zombie Slayers and/ or their Executioners as previously mentioned. The ZS are more firmly spined for the continued pounding of the faster XB's like the 405 and 380...you don't mention what you shoot so I threw this in.

....I previously purchased my shafts from BEA direct and the price mentioned previously is correct....HOWEVER, I now buy my shafts through a forum member named Dan (xcalibur)...he is a BEA dealer and the prices are the lowest that I have seen. You would have to PM him for the current prices delivered to you as they are drop shipped to your door...In order to PM you will need, I believe, 5 or so posts....

....as far as a good jig goes, most of us use the Arizona EZ Fletch Bolt. It is designed for the 2" vanes...many of us use the Bohnning 2" blazers...but some use others. It puts a right helical to your vane placement on the shaft. There are other jigs out there...The long standard Bitzenberger is really not designed for putting a helical on the 2" vanes...you get more of an offset with the clamp....Bohnning also puts out a tower jig....

.....you can buy components all over the web from eBay to Lancaster Archery, to South Shore Archery..literally just google crossbow arrow components...

....if you give up on your endeavor, as you really do not save on arrow building there is a well known and respected arrow craftsman on this forum named Big John....he is known to create masterpieces that each weigh within the right front leg of a mosquito....

....Now we asked one favor of you...in order for us to help you better...assuming you want to stick around and be part of this great forum why not complete your registration information letting us know where you hail from....this helps us in helping you as to where you might find certain things you might be needing...

....finally which bow is in your arsenal and how long have you been using a crossbow...

again....welcome aboard!

Thanks for the plug Anthony, but you get the famous discount! :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!