Arrow Weight-Does 14 Grains Matter?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big Woods

Arrow Weight-Does 14 Grains Matter?

Post by Big Woods »

I recently ordered 6 more black eagle executioner arrows from the same place I had ordered them before. I asked if all of the components would be the same and if the total arrow weight would be the same. I was told it would. Last night I weighed them. The first dozen I got previously weigh 400 grains with 100 grain tips on them. The new ones weigh 386 grains with the same 100 grain tips on them. The original dozen were 20 inches and cut down to 18. The new ones were 18 inches from the factory.

My question is this: will the 14 grains make a difference in where my shots impact and is there anything I can do to them to make them all 400 grains?

Thank You!!
Hester0305

Re: Arrow Weight-Does 14 Grains Matter?

Post by Hester0305 »

14 grains should make very little difference in shots 30 yards and under, I still would separate my arrows by weight and how well they group. I shoot everyone of my arrows with broad heads when its time for hunting and number them from 1-4 on the vanes with being 1 as my best arrows.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Big Woods

Post by Big Woods »

Thanks! How much difference do you think it will make at 40-50 yards?
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

This depends on speed of bow, etc. I would guess less than an inch, but you can go to Nikon BDC, and play with numbers using the Bolt XR tool. It will show you various changes in POI with varying speed. I would use 4 FPS as the speed change.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Big Woods

Post by Big Woods »

If it matters, I am shooting a Matrix 355. Do you think I should call and just return the bolts? Is there a way to add some weight? I'm assuming he used inserts that were 14 grains lighter and that explains the difference in weight?

Thank You!
bubba

Post by bubba »

You can send them back i guess, but i would probably just use them. Separate your arrows in groups = or + 3 grains. Shoot them thru your set up and adjust your 0 and scope to those arrows. And so on with the next batch. Like said don't see you getting much of a different poi out to 30 yards, but after that? I also shoot a M-355 and am very strict on weight tolerances. I know there might be some here that don't give it much thought. But my son and i, try for close to perfect on all things hunting. I have three set's or groups of arrows i shoot, for two bows. Which gives us a wide range to choose from. And the ability to go up or down on our broad head selection. Good Luck...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Big Woods

Post by Big Woods »

I checked the standard components for black eagle executioners and they list 3 different weight inserts including 80 and 92 grain. Looks like the first batch had 92 grain inserts and these have 80 even though I was told they would be the same. There is no way to take the inserts out without potentially ruining the arrow with heat correct?

Thanks!
Drew

Post by Drew »

If you have plastic nocks you can remove the nock and use a 1/4" steel rod that is longer than the arrow to use as a kinetic hammer. Just hold the arrow vertically and slide the rod inside to hammer out the insert. I've done this with ZS's with no issue. you just have to brass brush the inside very well prior to reglueing the inserts back in.

For 14gr I'd either just use them or order new ones. Use the light ones as practice arrows. 14gr won't change your FOC much.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
bubba

Post by bubba »

No it can be done.There are a few different methods, Most of the arrows built today use a super glue mixture, and not a hot melt one. It's a lot tougher with the glue, but is done all the time. I like to heat a bullet head field point and grab hold of with some pliers and work it out, and then use a 30 cal bore brush to clean out the glue left behind. It can be a chore. To much so for me, and you have a doz, arrows...Like said i'd use them or send the back....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

bubba wrote:No it can be done.There are a few different methods, Most of the arrows built today use a super glue mixture, and not a hot melt one. It's a lot tougher with the glue, but is done all the time. I like to heat a bullet head field point and grab hold of with some pliers and work it out, and then use a 30 cal bore brush to clean out the glue left behind. It can be a chore. To much so for me, and you have a doz, arrows...Like said i'd use them or send the back....
...What my southern bud said...you did not get what you paid for... Tell them you hunt in the "BigWoods" and you need super accuracy out to 60 yds....I would call them and "scream" in a nice low voice...they might even adjust the price or tell you keep em...we'll just send you out another dozen (the best of all scenarios)....where did you buy them from?...keep us informed!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

If'en you decide to keep them the weight is ok. Out to 50 yds 14gr won't make a diff of 1/4" in elevation. I am usin arrows wid 17gr diff, :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
CrazyAce

Post by CrazyAce »

Or...

Up your broadhead weight. Switch to 125's. Still a hell of a lot of selection in the 125 class of broadheads. Then you'd be over by 10g and a 1 click up on your scope at 60 yards~ish. Doing this increases your FOC and KE on impact (if I'm not mistook)

:edit: you would be AT 400gr... still with a increase in FOC and KE

Just my thoughts on the matter.
-SnotRocket-
Matrix 405
DLX scope
TriggerTech 2.5#
DrStirrup rig
8ptbuk, vixenmaster, Boo Flemish String
Zombie Slayer, Executioner
Wabi Call
Big Woods

Post by Big Woods »

Thanks guys. I think Ill shoot them at 40 and 50 with broadheads and see how they do. If they are less than an inch difference I will probably just keep them.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I would make the final adjustments to the Broadhead you plan to hunt with.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Big Woods

Post by Big Woods »

I already have a bunch of slicktrick 100 grain broadheads so changing the broadhead is not something I am considering.