Hunter Orange, camo or not...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mr.Boiler

Hunter Orange, camo or not...

Post by Mr.Boiler »

I know that during bow only season we don't really need to wear orange or a lot of it anyway. That said, I choose to. I also choose not to wear camo. I have a good pair of waterproof coveralls and layered uppers with a good oiled canvas coat. Keeps me warm and dry. Over that is the blaze orange with the blaze orange beanie.
I figure thats how grandpa dressed and he was a successful hunter so why not follow.
Deer are colour-blind but humans aren't.
Too many stories of others getting shot by some idiot thinking he's a sniper taking shots at +250 yards.
This shouldn't happen during bow only season but during those seasons where muzzleloaders and bows can be used at the same time, well ...

Any thoughts?
"So at this time take, please, your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt some wild game for me." Gen. 27:3
So I took my Excalibur Micro 335 and my Marlin 336 and my Henry .22lr Frontier and did just so...
longbow joe

Re: Hunter Orange, camo or not...

Post by longbow joe »

I worry about being in a blind when all them yahoos are out i guess ill gang a vest above me
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

longbow joe wrote:I worry about being in a blind when all them yahoos are out i guess ill gang a vest above me
X2...I like to "gang" a vest too above my blind also!!! :lol: :mrgreen:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Mr.Boiler

Post by Mr.Boiler »

longbow joe wrote:I worry about being in a blind when all them yahoos are out i guess ill gang a vest above me
Hmmm... not a bad idea. Never thought of that. I know my cousin does the tree stand and wraps orange about 10 feet up...
"So at this time take, please, your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt some wild game for me." Gen. 27:3
So I took my Excalibur Micro 335 and my Marlin 336 and my Henry .22lr Frontier and did just so...
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I made fun of anthonys avatar now he knows i spell like sh....t now im in for it. I "axed" for it! Lol
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

longbow joe wrote:I made fun of anthonys avatar now he knows i spell like sh....t now im in for it. I "axed" for it! Lol
:lol: :lol: :lol: ....it's all good LB Joe!

Anthony :mrgreen:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

In my state we must choose our hunt method when buying tags... We can for instance get a modern rifle elk tag and an archery deer tag but other than cougar and bear, as they can be hunted by any means except with hounds or over bait. You are restricted to hunt Deer, Elk , and if drawn for special hunts like Mountain Goat, Big Horn Sheep and Moose with the designated archery, muzzle-loader, or modern tag you applied with and can only use that your previous choice of weapon. ( We can't continue hunting alll the various seasons as they progress even though we may have gotten skunked during our turn in the woods )

No ultra-violet high viz requirement is one of the reasons I choose to bow hunt... only archery and muzzle-loader allow this because of their relatively short range .. if sharing the woods with modern rifle or shot gun during overlap seasons ... High vis orange is required on all hunters in that area.

I feel it makes it harder for others to find my deer and Elk "honey holes"... It's been said deer can see the "UV haze" that's put off, so when I actually have had to use it.. I camo the vest up some with flat black random spray paint stripes and then wash it 2-3 times before using with a product called "UV killer"....

It's supposed to keep the deer from dectecting the "Haze"... I'm not sure it's effective ? but I'll try anything to stay hidden as well as possible from both my quary and other hunters.

Besides, while bow hunting I have cougar and bear tags in my pocket and I'm pretty sure one or both can see the orange color.

Just my $ .02 but definately my take on your question.

Gene
Last edited by L. E. Carroll on Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

During bow season, wear blaze orange hat going to stand to become visible. In stand up in the air all camo is o.k. During gun, wear blaze orange at all times.
Deer can not see blaze orange. Studies have shown this and my independent studies, which are ongoing every time I hunt have proven this true on many occasions. I have been on the ground and had deer within Five yards many times when the wind was right and I was still as a statue.
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

There is no requirement to wear orange in AB, under any hunting situation. So I do not wear it and neither does anybody else I know.......or see in the bush. I don't believe in it either. In low/no light it is not effective (poachers don't need any light :shock: ). At close range, as in archery, it's not really needed. At long range, during rifle season, you're just as apt to get "scoped" wearing orange as in wearing any other colour. At long range you'll stand out more in orange........more chance to get "scoped". If you're not seen, you can't get scoped. I won't believe in any so called "stats" either. Guys move here from the East and try to change our laws :roll: Just my opinions guys/gals.
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
Waif

Post by Waif »

L. E. Carroll wrote:In my state we must choose our hunt method when buying tags... We can for instance get a modern rifle elk tag and an archery deer tag but other than cougar and bear, as they can be hunted by any means except with hounds or over bait. You are restricted to hunt Deer, Elk , and if drawn for special hunts like Mountain Goat, Big Horn Sheep and Moose with the designated archery, muzzle-loader, or modern tag you applied with and can only use that your previous choice of weapon. ( We can't continue hunting alll the various seasons as they progress even though we may have gotten skunked during our turn in the woods )

No ultra-violet high viz requirement is one of the reasons I choose to bow hunt... only archery and muzzle-loader allow this because of their relatively short range .. if sharing the woods with modern rifle or shot gun during overlap seasons ... High vis orange is required on all hunters in that area.

I feel it makes it harder for others to find my deer and Elk "honey holes"... It's been said deer can see the "UV haze" that's put off, so when I actually have had to use it.. I camo the vest up some with flat black random spray paint stripes and then wash it 2-3 times before using with a product called "UV killer"....

It's supposed to keep the deer from dectecting the "Haze"... I'm not sure it's effective ? but I'll try anything to stay hidden as well as possible from both my quary and other hunters.

Besides, while bow hunting I have cougar and bear tags in my pocket and I'm pretty sure one or both can see the orange color.

Just my $ .02 but definately my take on your question.

Gene
U.V. enhancers/brighteners are in most modern detergents.
They do create a "glow" to colors..not good for hunting regardless of colors.
Where required I wear the blaze orange but with with black and green blobs of camo in it.
Depending on law requirements ,often half the pattern must be orange and visible all sides.
Found a large "bib" of it years ago that works great.
I'm reluctant to wear solid orange or a hat of it.
I will on public land when scouting or traveling in heavy hunter densities.
It,(the hat) can be traded for another pattern once on stand.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Deer can see UV and many modern garments are made with UV dyes to make things "brighter and whiter". Think of a white shirt under a black light. The product UV Killer seems to work for me.

And while deer do not see hunter orange as we do (or any color for that matter) they will see what appears as a solid human form if you wear a blaze orange jump suit etc. The most effective camo for me is some sort of 3D camo. I have 2 different ghille type suits and hunt from the ground in natural blinds all the time. Once gun season hits here I have to wear at least a blaze orange hat and I do - over my ghille headgear - and I have never seen it make a difference.

So my suggestion is - if it's legal - use the "Camo blaze orange" or use a solid blaze vest/hat over some sort of 3D camo (like Ghil-leaf, or Leafy wear). Just try to break up your form so you don't stand out as a human easily.

The same can be said for many "cool" camo patterns as well. They look cool up close but at 20 yards they all blend into one solid dark human looking blob. I forget who it was, but someone on here who is red/green color blind confirmed that he saw many "Camos" as one solid brown color.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
cdn.redneck

Post by cdn.redneck »

better look at the regulation, if you wear orange, camo/orange is not legal in Ontario for 2015
Leupold crossbones
Mathews Monster 7.0
Black Eagle - Carbon Express - Easton
ch312

Post by ch312 »

ehntr wrote:There is no requirement to wear orange in AB, under any hunting situation. So I do not wear it and neither does anybody else I know.......or see in the bush. I don't believe in it either. In low/no light it is not effective (poachers don't need any light :shock: ). At close range, as in archery, it's not really needed. At long range, during rifle season, you're just as apt to get "scoped" wearing orange as in wearing any other colour. At long range you'll stand out more in orange........more chance to get "scoped". If you're not seen, you can't get scoped. I won't believe in any so called "stats" either. Guys move here from the East and try to change our laws :roll: Just my opinions guys/gals.
I'll address your points in order...

-if there isn't enough light to see blaze orange, it's not legal shooting time yet.

-out this way it's common to hunt area's where you cannot see much past 25 yards. However, it's easy to see bits and pieces of blaze orange 40-50 yards away in the same location.

-at long ranges you can instantly tell if the moving object is a human or animal, no binoculars or scope needed.

-at long range you'll stand out more wearing orange. Yes, that is the purpose of it.

Deer cannot see blaze orange, it has zero negative effect on the hunt and it makes hunters more visible and safer. These are proven facts which cannot be disputed.

I cannot wrap my head around the idea that hunters being more visible is more dangerous because it increases your risk of being scoped. That's a very poor reason to disagree with it's use...
Allan

Post by Allan »

CH312

BANG ON!
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

ch312 wrote:
ehntr wrote:There is no requirement to wear orange in AB, under any hunting situation. So I do not wear it and neither does anybody else I know.......or see in the bush. I don't believe in it either. In low/no light it is not effective (poachers don't need any light :shock: ). At close range, as in archery, it's not really needed. At long range, during rifle season, you're just as apt to get "scoped" wearing orange as in wearing any other colour. At long range you'll stand out more in orange........more chance to get "scoped". If you're not seen, you can't get scoped. I won't believe in any so called "stats" either. Guys move here from the East and try to change our laws :roll: Just my opinions guys/gals.
I'll address your points in order...

-if there isn't enough light to see blaze orange, it's not legal shooting time yet.

-out this way it's common to hunt area's where you cannot see much past 25 yards. However, it's easy to see bits and pieces of blaze orange 40-50 yards away in the same location.

-at long ranges you can instantly tell if the moving object is a human or animal, no binoculars or scope needed.

-at long range you'll stand out more wearing orange. Yes, that is the purpose of it.

Deer cannot see blaze orange, it has zero negative effect on the hunt and it makes hunters more visible and safer. These are proven facts which cannot be disputed.

I cannot wrap my head around the idea that hunters being more visible is more dangerous because it increases your risk of being scoped. That's a very poor reason to disagree with it's use...
I didn't disagree with anything. The only time was shot at......while hunting......in ON btw, I was wearing blaze orange. There are reasons why jurisdictions differ on the application of hunters clothing. I like AB,s regs
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?