Still hunt or stalk vrs blind or stand?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

L. E. Carroll

Still hunt or stalk vrs blind or stand?

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I have a couple stands that have never seen a tree including a nice alum climber I have never used... my pop up goes to camp to act as a hide spot for my Hunters Loo camo You know what bucket...

I seem to always be on the ground still hunting as Blacktails and Mulies are very hard to "Pattern"... not to mention Elk, as you never know where you'll find them unless setting a tree-stand over a wallow during the rut or arid dry periods with no rain.. How many others hunt in a similar method.... Or am I becoming a true Dinasaur (sp?) as I'm getting older ?

Gene
Last edited by L. E. Carroll on Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
amythntr

Re: Still hunt or stalk vrs blind or stand?

Post by amythntr »

...with a back as bad as mine and a body type designed to be close to "earthy soilus" I pretty much am a ground blind hunter...every so often I will venture up a ladder stand or climber but not much...I envy all of you hunters who climb trees like bear and get up 15 -20 feet or to the point where you can see for miles...

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
fratri

Post by fratri »

I do most of my hunting from the ground too.....mostly still hunt standing corn, walking in the first two or three rows of corn, trying to catch a deer moving along the edge. It has played out well these last couple of years. This year I put up a ladder stand on one farm and will be making a few sits in it, don't know if I will like it or can handle it as I am not much of a sitter but want to see what all the hype is about. :)
"Everthing is easy when you know how"
"Food is not grown in stores"
Fratri
Mr.Boiler

Post by Mr.Boiler »

Still stalk. If I sat in a tree or blind I'd be napping in no time at all and miss everything...
"So at this time take, please, your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt some wild game for me." Gen. 27:3
So I took my Excalibur Micro 335 and my Marlin 336 and my Henry .22lr Frontier and did just so...
SEW

Post by SEW »

All 3 have their place. Soybean fields, hard woods, etc, lend themselves to different tactics.
Eck

Post by Eck »

This is very interesting. I've known hunters that wouldn't go into the woods without a Treestand; others I know have killed a boatload of deer, and never set foot in a Treestand, let alone own one.

I thought most archers were Treestand types.
Micro 335
Matrix 380
Boofest 2016 Matrix 330
Trigger Techs all around
125 gr. QAD Exodus (Micro) 100 gr Slicks otherwise
Strings by Vixenmaster
Arrows by Xcaliber
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

SEW wrote:All 3 have their place. Soybean fields, hard woods, etc, lend themselves to different tactics.
This my opinion also, I have 28' tree stands I access with climbing sticks,,

17' pole stands, and climbers for mobility,,,,

even a ground blind if needed, this my most used, I built it to still hunt, find a spot that looks good, take it off the pack and sit a while,,, it weighs just under 6#

Then if I am hunting thick fence rows or thickets, where things are very thick and if you hunt to high all you see is the tops of brush, and usually have trees to small for climbers, I built these, 4'8" and 6', or with a 4' extension, 8'8" and 10'. totally portable and carry in on a shoulder strap.

But that little sit down anywhere seat get most my use the first 2 months of season if I ain't in a fixed stand, but those are mostly for days I'm running late, I have one setup for N S winds and another for E W winds,,,, I can slip in and up in seconds!!

But like SEW said, I like options, and want them available at a moments notice,,, :wink:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....now that treestand on the left is just right for me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anthony :mrgreen:

PS: I like options also...mine are hunt in a blind or spend the rest of my life in a hospital or maybe worse...I choose the blind! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

amythntr wrote:Image

....now that treestand on the left is just right for me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anthony :mrgreen:

PS: I like options also...mine are hunt in a blind or spend the rest of my life in a hospital or maybe worse...I choose the blind! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
You'd love the one in the middle Anthony,,,, 6# and have straps on my BP to take it anywhere,,,, very handy if your like me and you need frequent pit stops!!!!! w/ the 1" mossy oak seat pad, the only thing missing is the foot rest, and if you pay attention and look for the right break area there is usually one of the available to the creative,,,,,, :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
bubba

Post by bubba »

Yes, I like to mix it up too. I use all three methods. It really depends on the situation for that day, with all kind of variables that can make me decide how to hunt that particular place and time. I really don't have a favorite. They all work...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
kd8jgu

Post by kd8jgu »

I hunt all 3
For me a lot depends on the wind
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
deerskinner

Post by deerskinner »

I hunt in stands,I have 2 ladder stands and 3 tree stands! As long as I am able thats the way I like to hunt ! :D
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

"D" all of the above! :lol: :lol:
Here is my Cadillac. I feel much safer in the climbers than anything else, and spare no expense on a good one as if my LIFE depended on it! :shock:

First one is an Equalizer with the leveler crank, second one is the Timber Tall Brute with leveler screw.
[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... c.jpg.html]Image

[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... 3.jpg.html]Image
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

Because of my age I am mostly confined to tree stands BUT they all have lifelines and I am always hooked up to my HSS vest. If I am lucky enough to harvest a deer the first thing I do is call one of my sons for help. I have used a ground blind but find that the area covered seems to be reduced.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

xcaliber wrote:"D" all of the above! :lol: :lol:
Here is my Cadillac. I feel much safer in the climbers than anything else, and spare no expense on a good one as if my LIFE depended on it! :shock:

First one is an Equalizer with the leveler crank, second one is the Timber Tall Brute with leveler screw.
[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... c.jpg.html]Image

[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... 3.jpg.html]Image
Very nice excaliber!!! Love them TimberTall stands, the only one I comfortably and safely can nap in, I installed a deeper padded seat, this leaves me lower kinda down in the upper frame where I can't fall out. I have the Super Brute fat boy stand, this my favorite and most comfortable out of all my stands!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!