Changing from 150 to 125gr with Firebolt?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GROOTSKY

Changing from 150 to 125gr with Firebolt?

Post by GROOTSKY »

I have been shooting 150 gr Slick Tricks with the Firebolts my bow came with. I would like to try some mechanicals but all the one's I'm interested in are 125gr, does anyone know if my accuracy would suffer with the lighter broadhead? Thanks.
Hester0305

Re: Changing from 150 to 125gr with Firebolt?

Post by Hester0305 »

It shouldn't suffer at all as long as your arrow and broadhead combination isn't too light. I shoot fixed blade 125's with very good accuracy, the right mechanicals may even shoot better.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
CrazyAce

Post by CrazyAce »

GROOTSKY wrote:I have been shooting 150 gr Slick Tricks with the Firebolts my bow came with. I would like to try some mechanicals but all the one's I'm interested in are 125gr, does anyone know if my accuracy would suffer with the lighter broadhead? Thanks.
Accuracy? no. Point of impact? Yes. It should hit higher being lighter. Will have to redial in your scope/speed ring.
-SnotRocket-
Matrix 405
DLX scope
TriggerTech 2.5#
DrStirrup rig
8ptbuk, vixenmaster, Boo Flemish String
Zombie Slayer, Executioner
Wabi Call
GROOTSKY

Post by GROOTSKY »

Thanks, my main concern was having to little FOC with the lighter broadhead resulting in bigger groupings. I shoot an Axiom so I'm thinking that the slower arrow speeds may be more forgiving to a lighter broadhead than a faster shooting bow. Would that be correct?
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I have an Axiom shooting firebolts with 125gr heads...won't shoot the same place twice at 40yds, arrows get expensive!! :shock: 8)
You will be fine :D :D
Good luck :)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
GROOTSKY

Post by GROOTSKY »

georgiaboy, do you shoot mechanical or fixed?
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I'm shooting spitfire mechanical & slick trick standard's out of my axiom...both shoot to poi of my field tips. 8)
Gota love it!! :lol: Depends on how i feel that day when i take her out which one i shoot...naughty or nice! :mrgreen:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
grouse

Post by grouse »

A couple of years ago was using 150 gr. slick tricks with firebolts and decided I needed some more broadheads. It was October and I was going to hunt that weekend, so I needed to buy something at a brick and mortar store. I went to Bass Pro and the heaviest slick tricks they had were 125 gr. magnums. I bought a package and installed one on a firebolt when I got to my farm, then shot it at 20 yds. I hit the bulls eye and then I hit it again. Some would consider it a sin, but I went hunting with mixture of 125 gr and 150 gr. slick tricks in my Axiom's quiver. I killed a doe with a double lung shot at 30 yds. early the next morning and don't even know what weight slick trick I used (I can tell them apart, I just didn't pay any attention in the early morning darkness).

I wouldn't worry too much about using 125 gr. slick tricks under 30 yds.
axiom
350 SE
DeepSouthHunter

Post by DeepSouthHunter »

I'm glad you posted this because I've been wondering the same. I recently won a pack of 125 grain VPA 3 blade broadheads and thought they would be great to use with my Excalibur but all I've ever shot was 150s.
Exocet 200 with "THE RIGHT STUFF" STANDARD PACKAGE
GROOTSKY

Post by GROOTSKY »

I shot a small buck with a Slick Trick 150 , it performed flawlessly, I guess its just the urge to try something new that gets me. I hunt in thick bush areas & I'm always worried about loosing something due to a weak blood trail. All the pictures I see from mechanical broadheads tend to show massive wounds & bloodloss.