Rage Crossbow X Broadhead Failure

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Crackshot_Benny

Rage Crossbow X Broadhead Failure

Post by Crackshot_Benny »

I've been shooting my crossbow and trying to get dialed in with fixed blade broad heads, I've shot 3 different shafts with 3 different broad heads in various configurations and have not been satisfied with the consistency. I just cant get the NAP Devastator/Trocar/Thunderhead to fly consistent enough for me to personally step into the woods and take a shot at an animal. After mulling it over I decided to purchase a mechanical broad head, I went with the Rage crossbow X 100 Gr. I've been shooting the practice head and have gotten the bow dialed in nicely, but I wanted to shoot an actual expandable head to ensued they fly 100% the same. I follow the instructions, screw down the shock collar with the marks aligned, fire the bolt and it sails about 6 feet over the target into the trees/neighbors yard and explodes the bolt. Needless to say I was both pissed and in disbelief, I've never missed the target let alone sail a bolt over the fence. So upon inspection of the bow I identified where the broad head opened before it was even off of the string.... Anyone had this issue and or possible remedy to this problem? see pics below
bubba

Re: Rage Crossbow X Broadhead Failure

Post by bubba »

Yep... My remedy. Is throw em the trash can. Or better yet send em to vixenmaster, he use's every thing and never throw's any thing away, Smile. If you want to shoot a mechanical head i say go with a Swhacker, or any of the N.A.P. spitfire, foc's, they are all a step above..Now wait for it.......Here come all the Rage follower's....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

bubba wrote:Yep... My remedy. Is throw em the trash can. Or better yet send em to vixenmaster, he use's every thing and never throw's any thing away, Smile. If you want to shoot a mechanical head i say go with a Swhacker, or any of the N.A.P. spitfire, foc's, they are all a step above..Now wait for it.......Here come all the Rage follower's....
:lol: Well the Rage cost me a real nice 8 pt a few yrs back at 32 yds. Yup it sailed over his back as i watched in disbelief. I also had used the practice heads n had it dialed in out to 40 yds, :(
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

No . Our group is 11 for 11 on Mule deer and 4 for 4 on white tail the last 3 seasons with some very good blood trails. But if you don't trust them don't use them you won't be happy because you had a failure it will always be in the back of your mind.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

X2 what bubba said about the Rage's.

Try some Slick Tricks or Ramcats or Magnus Stingers. They are all quality fixed heads, and all fly great for me out to 40 yds. Just make sure to spin test them before you shoot them.

I too have a scar on the stirrup of my Vortex from a Rage 2-blade that pre-opened. If you think about it, a recurve crossbow is about the worst case scenario for a mechanical head. With a recurve, the further you pull back, the higher the force, so you are always sitting at the top of the power curve when you let it go. That means the BH sees the max force instantaneously when you release the arrow. On a cammed bow, there is let off so the force is lower at the start then reaches the max after the arrow is already moving. You need to take this into consideration when picking a mech. head for an Excal - and even more so with the Matrix line of bows because the draw weights are higher than the older bows.

Good luck.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

You mean this ??? Don't use Rage on these High poundage Recurves !!! This had a shock collar and a dental band !!!
[URL=http://s154.photobucket.com/user/1longb ... 5.jpg.html]Image
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

YEP!!

I took my stirrup off and flipped it so I don't always see it! Bad memory!! :lol: Although I got SUPER lucky. It just deflected it dead left and the buck was only 15 yds away. Instead of hitting the shoulder it hit back but I caught the back part of the liver.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Crackshot_Benny

Post by Crackshot_Benny »

I'm actually shooting a compound crossbow, I've got a Barnett BCXtreme... This has me baffled that on literally the first shot I'd have a failure like this, worst part was the bolt flies over the target, over the plywood backing, and over the fence into the neighbors yard. OC right after I jump the fence to recover the bolt the neighbor walks out and is wondering what's going on. The back half of the bolt with the fletching's was lying there, she saw it and gave it to me. Then I'm looking to recover the broadhead, luckily I don't think it looks too dangerous like a fixed blade to the untrained eye. But still I felt like a complete newb...lol

I guess I'm going to try the shock collar and put an O ring on for insurance and try it again, but I'm not going to align the blades with the odd fletching as this was the reason it clipped the stirrup and sailed high
SEW

Post by SEW »

bubba wrote:Yep... My remedy. Is throw em the trash can. Or better yet send em to vixenmaster, he use's every thing and never throw's any thing away, Smile. If you want to shoot a mechanical head i say go with a Swhacker, or any of the N.A.P. spitfire, foc's, they are all a step above..Now wait for it.......Here come all the Rage follower's....
I agree totally. Now, for a little history: the name "Rage" comes from how the user feels about the Rage broadheads after using them for a while.
The above mentioned BHs are my 3 favorites, with which I have killed over 75 deer: no losses except a 2 blade SP the year they first came out(>15 years ago). May have been a bad hit: still, maybe the short lived 2 blade SF.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I band the rage heads I have with dental bands for added insurance.
The Trauma expandable comes with a thick rubber band.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Crackshot_Benny wrote:I'm actually shooting a compound crossbow, I've got a Barnett BCXtreme... This has me baffled that on literally the first shot I'd have a failure like this, worst part was the bolt flies over the target, over the plywood backing, and over the fence into the neighbors yard. OC right after I jump the fence to recover the bolt the neighbor walks out and is wondering what's going on. The back half of the bolt with the fletching's was lying there, she saw it and gave it to me. Then I'm looking to recover the broadhead, luckily I don't think it looks too dangerous like a fixed blade to the untrained eye. But still I felt like a complete newb...lol

I guess I'm going to try the shock collar and put an O ring on for insurance and try it again, but I'm not going to align the blades with the odd fletching as this was the reason it clipped the stirrup and sailed high

Barnett eh.....

Reminds me of a funny story.

I was target shooting with my matrix @ a local farm field. A hunter pulled up and we started talking hunting. He told
me he arrowed a bear with his barnett last week but shot it low and a bit far back and never recovered it. I then tell him I shot one too with an easy recovery and great blood trail. He then asks what bow I was shooting. I said the matrx. He said oh someone spent a lot of money. I said yep and I got my bear too so i guess it was money well spent... LOL
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

If you are not happy with the Rage send them back and get your money and buy you some slick tricks and your worries will be over .enjoy your hunt and good luck.
W.M.
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Crackshot_Benny wrote:I've been shooting my crossbow and trying to get dialed in with fixed blade broad heads, I've shot 3 different shafts with 3 different broad heads in various configurations and have not been satisfied with the consistency. I just cant get the NAP Devastator/Trocar/Thunderhead to fly consistent enough for me to personally step into the woods and take a shot at an animal. After mulling it over I decided to purchase a mechanical broad head, I went with the Rage crossbow X 100 Gr. I've been shooting the practice head and have gotten the bow dialed in nicely, but I wanted to shoot an actual expandable head to ensued they fly 100% the same. I follow the instructions, screw down the shock collar with the marks aligned, fire the bolt and it sails about 6 feet over the target into the trees/neighbors yard and explodes the bolt. Needless to say I was both pissed and in disbelief, I've never missed the target let alone sail a bolt over the fence. So upon inspection of the bow I identified where the broad head opened before it was even off of the string.... Anyone had this issue and or possible remedy to this problem? see pics below
Don't understand why you can't get a fixed blade head to group consistently. It may shoot a different POI from your field tip but they should group together.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

I have never had an issue with a rage broadhead. I guess I have been lucky. If you have lost faith in them, the NAP Crossbow Killzone is another choice of the same style broadhead. I am going to try them out this year, just to try something different. In comparing the two, the Killzone blades are thicker and sharper and are kept closed with an internal clip. The Rage head as you know uses the shock collar to keep the blades closed. While not a very durable head, they produce devastating large wounds and put deer down. I am expecting the Killzone to perform basically the same. Hopefully I will get to try them out this coming fall season.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
fergie

Post by fergie »

just wondering, when you say;
Crackshot_Benny wrote: I follow the instructions, screw down the shock collar with the marks aligned,
are you lining up the blades with the "crack" of the shock collar??? most people that say they have a problem with them that I've talked to set them up that way and that's not the way to set them up.
I'm still using them as well as my other two hunting partners and have yet to have a problem with them. I'm using the crossbow extreme 2.3" with my 380 and have tested them multiple times with the actual head and wasting quit a few shock collars.
not saying that you have them set up wrong but just wondering if that was your problem.
matrix 380 blackout "Reaper", nchunterkw flemish string, triggertech single stage, matrix munch mount, Rhinehart Block, 18" zombie slayers c/o big john
fully dressed in drstirrup is the "reaper"