New Owner

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

baydogs

New Owner

Post by baydogs »

Hello!
New Excalibur owner here. Been reading and brushing up for a couple weeks. I just received my first Excalibur 405 coming from a Barnett wildcat C5 that's treated me well for the last 6 years or so. I take about 15 deer a year with more than half from my bow. I am trying to assemble all the gear needed for opening day Oct 1 and just need arrows and bh. I really only hunt so am primarily focused on that as opposed to field point shooting. What are the recommendations? Do most use Excalibur arrows and bolt cutters? I was using rages on my Barnett, loved them, and have bunch left over, but it seems with the 405 they aren't well liked. I also have some 100 & 150 muzzles left over too. What's the ideal weight most are shooting? To retain the 405 the manual says 100gr. That what works the best? Would also enjoy having some illumiknocks. Any advice would be awesome !

Thanks TJ
Matrix Mega 405
vixenmaster

Re: New Owner

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on the 405, when i had one i used swhackers 100gr usin BEE's at 385gr total weight.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
baydogs

Post by baydogs »

Thanks! Did you have any issues that I am reading about opening prematurely with the mechanicals?
Matrix Mega 405
Buddyshort

Post by Buddyshort »

I never have issues with swhackers opening to soon out of my 355. The blades have a small band around them
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Take a look at the post here about Trauma Heads, they use a band, and adjust up to a 3" cut. Did a job on the doe shot with one.

Congrats on a fine Excalibur, and welcome aboard!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Welcome aboard and Congrats on your 405
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
bubba

Post by bubba »

Welcome to the forum. and congrats on your Excalibur crossbow. You say you average 15 deer a year? And i thought Vixenmaster held the forum record for most deer killed in a year. Where are you from? Damn that's a lot of deer. You must have a real big hungry family...Any how, i would suggest you get better arrows like the black eagles either Zombies, or Executioners, And try some Swhackers or any nap brand mech, like foc's or spitfires. They are i think the most popular and tried and true.. Good luck, 15 deer a year? wow...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
baydogs

Post by baydogs »

Thanks for all the help. Where are most people getting their zombies from, right from their site? Is there a way to get the illuminated knock in those as well? Generally speaking do most prefer the fixed over mechanical broadheads?

I am from Maryland and hunt an island where the population can get out of control pretty quick, we average about 100 deer year with 10 or so active guys. I am lucky enough to be able to give deer to friends and others who love the meat and don't hunt and enjoy sharing the meat as well. I keep 3-4 personally and we eat venison twice a week normally.
Matrix Mega 405
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Welcome aboard. And congrats on a fine choice of crossbow.

Ron.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

Welcome to the forum! . . .lets us know where you're from by fill'n out the rest of yer profile . . . also w/ that 405 its a safety precaution for members close to ya :wink: :lol: :lol:
-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
bubba

Post by bubba »

Hey baydogs, I get all my arrow gear from Jerry at South Shore Archery. He will sell you bare shafts or complete custom made arrows that are pretty ,Pretty. he is my one stop only for any thing (arrow's). Welcome bud. Good luck this season.. Oh almost forgot his# is 1-813-545-0754..
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

My hunting buddy just ordered BEE arrows from Dan Miller in Ohio.
1-740-483-2312 He's the Excalibur expert!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Fletch2

Post by Fletch2 »

Welcome to the forum :D
2012 vortex
vixenmaster string
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Welcome to the forum friend. That bow is an absolute BEAST and I think you'll love it and be amazed by the accuracy.
As for accuracy, the stock arrows you have use a lighter aluminum insert. In order to achieve the most accuracy you need the 150gr + broadheads. With good quality after market arrows you have the option of using heavier brass inserts. This gives you more options as to the weight of broadheads you may choose to shoot.
As far as arrows, I strongly recommend using the Black Eagle Zombie Slayer arrows. They are spined very stiff and your bow will love them. I would go with the 92gr or 110gr brass inserts with 100gr or 125gr points. I'd go with Arizona Rim E-Z Fletch Bolt fletched 2" Blazer vanes and plastic nocks. If you plan on using Luminoks you have a few options. Because the Luminoks weigh 28 grains and the plastic nocks weigh 8 grains your poi and foc willbe different. You'll still be okay inside of 30yards but will see a greater change beyond that. I believe the aluminum nocks are about 15 grains? I prefer the plastic for the ease of changing if damaged. If you plan on hunting using Luminoks you canssimply sight in with them and you're good to go. Make a note of where your non Luminok arrows impact and you don't need any other adjustments. There's been a lot of positive feedback about the FOC, Schwacker, and Spitfire mechanicals. I still prefer a good solid fixed blade like Slick Trick, Toxic, QAD Exodus and many more.

****This is a BIGGIE**** Make sure you have a stringing aid and know how to adjustyour brace height and what it is. Also, you'll be burying your arrows into anything other than a good bag target so do yourself a favour and contact Danny Miller for a pair of Danny Miller plier pullers. You'll be very glad you did. Hope this helps and again, welcome. :D

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
baydogs

Post by baydogs »

Wow Paul thanks so much for the great response. Tons of great info there. I actually already have the arrow puller headed to me in the mail. I have just sent an email out to Jerry to hopefully get some BE Zombies made up. Really appreciate it again.

Thanks
TJ
Matrix Mega 405