2015 Buck

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big58cal

2015 Buck

Post by Big58cal »

A little late, but I was able to fill my buck tag last weekend, 9/12/15. He wasn't the buck I thought he was when I shot, but I'm still happy with him. He was young, only 2.5 year old. He would have made a good one next year, that's the only bad thing about it.

I had gotten pictures last December of a really tall-tined buck that apparently had been shot during the late muzzleloading season. He was shot in the upper part of his right front leg, just below the body, breaking the leg bone there. The deer was really skinny and I didn't figure that he would make it through the winter. I got pictures of him on 2 different cameras over 2 days and then that was it.

Fast forward to this year. The first week of Sept., I got pictures of a really tall-tined buck that had a broken right front leg that had healed. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that it was probably the same deer that I had gotten pictures of in December. He had a good rack on the right side, but the left side was screwed up a bit from the broken leg. He wasn't the biggest deer that I was after, but I figured that if I got a shot at him I'd take it just to put him out of his misery. Plus I kinda' like screwed up racks like that. :wink:

Saturday morning it was overcast, so daylight was delayed. I had 3 deer come in, the buck and 2 does. At first, it was so dark that I could only make out outlines. I figured that it was a momma and 2 little ones. As I kept watching them though, the "big" one kept running the little ones off. I thought that was weird for a momma to be running off her little ones. I really started looking at the bigger one and could start to make out antlers. I studied him longer and it looked like he had a curve in his leg from it being broken, and the rack looked like the one that had the broken leg.

I put the bow up, settled the 20 yd. crosshair on his chest and squeezed it off. At the shot, he mule-kicked and took off. He ran up the hill in front of me, took a right and then stopped. He started moving again, but I heard him go down. Looked at my watch and it was 7:12 AM.

I waited until 7:45 and then came down out of the stand. Where it was overcast, it was still kinda' dark, so I was using a flashlight trying to pick up the blood trail. The leaves were wet from a rain the previous evening, so I never was able to find any blood. I started walking the hill where I heard him running and go down. It took me about 15 minutes to find him. When I walked up on him I knew it wasn't the deer I thought it was. :( Still a good deer, but I wish he could have lived another year.

Since it was still early, I didn't want to mess with my brother's hunting by going and getting him. I walked out, got the 4 wheeler, and pulled it up on the road above where he was. I only had about 40 yds to drag him, but is was uphill. Getting him up on the 4 wheeler was a trick too! I had to pull him up beside the 4 wheeler, use a bungie cord and tie his rack off to the back rack of the 4 wheeler, climb up on top of the 4 wheeler, and then unhook the bungie cord and drag him up on top of the rack.

The pictures are deceiving. His body is quite a bit bigger than what it looks like in the pictures. He field dressed at 130 lbs.

I'm still debating on whether or not to get him mounted. :roll: When I skinned him out, I did it so I could if I wanted to. He's got some really pretty hair, with still some of his red summer hair. But I need another shoulder mount like I need another hole in my head! :lol:

At least now, I can concentrate on helping the boy fill his tag(s). I hope we can find one of the 3 bucks that I was originally after. That would be cool.

Got him with the Excalibur Equinox, GT arrows, Swhacker broadheads, and a "hippie" string that Boo made for me. :lol:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
vixenmaster

Re: 2015 Buck

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats to you on yer nice 9 pt, way to go
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats on getting the buck early! Nice!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

NICE! Great story too! Love that he's still got some of the coppery red summer colour. Purdy! :)
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....an absolutely nice looking buck Big58cal...we would be lickin our chops up here in the north....looks like you got some nice looking "Odocoileus virginianus" :shock: down there in the "Hills of Kentucky"...... congrats are surely in order...

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

That sure is a beauty! Congrats!
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Congrats! Nice story and pics!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!

How did the leg look?
wabi
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

Congratulations!!! Great job!! :D
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
bubba

Post by bubba »

Congrats.. Nice looking buck. And enjoyed the story much. Ky, the land of the big one's. Biggest deer i've ever taken, and seen in the wild have been there. Where about are you close too? A lot of hill's in Kentucky..Smile..Nice deer for sure.
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
deerskinner

Post by deerskinner »

Congrats! Nice one! Ron!
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Congratulations 58
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Thanks folks! :D He's made a bunch of good meat. Now I've got to start smacking some does and turkeys. Got 3 doe tags and 4 turkey tags that I need to fill, not to mention the boy has 2 deer tags and 4 turkey tags. :D
wabi wrote: How did the leg look?
His leg was fine. Not broken and never had been. In the first picture, I took that after I had walked out and gotten the 4 wheeler and came back. But that's how he was when I found him. If it had been the one that had the broken leg, the left side of his rack was kinda' screwed up from the broken leg. As soon as I saw that this one wasn't, I knew I'd shot the wrong deer. Guess that's what I get for being "trigger happy". :lol: I didn't get a buck last year (3 does and 2 turkeys), so I was itching to get one this year.
bubba wrote:Where about are you close too? A lot of hill's in Kentucky..

bubba, I'd tell you but then I'd have to kill you. :wink: :lol:

Nah, our farm is down in Marion County, just outside of Bradfordsville. If you look at a map of KY, Marion County is dang near smack dab in the center of the state. The actual "geographic center" of the state isn't very far away from us.
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Congrats on the fine buck. In the early morning light I would probably have put an arrow in that one too. Just like I would in broad daylight. :lol:
DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol: