whats the best glue

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fredd

whats the best glue

Post by fredd »

im trying to refletch some bolts with blaser vanes having a hard time getting vanes to stay on. I used acetone to clean the bolts and im using fletch tite platinum. Some hold nicely others you can peel them off. Is the any other glue that is better Or am i not doing something right.
xcaliber

Re: whats the best glue

Post by xcaliber »

There has been a little of this going around lately. I'm starting to wonder if Bohniing changed something in materials, or processes. I too clean shafts, and prep the vanes, just like I always have done. I have even had a few come off using G5 BluGlu, and that stuff is amazing. I have had good luck using AAE FastSet Gel. It dries right now, and fully cures in minutes. It seems to offer less rigidity, and you have to really work to get the vanes off.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I used the same stuff and had similar results. I tried Crazy Glue and have had great results. I bought the kind with a brush applicator that is purple when applied but dries clear. It goes on quick and I have yet to lose a vane.

I'm still a novice though. There are other here that have been doing this for years that may have better solutions.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Drew

Post by Drew »

I use Gorilla Glue with the blue cap. Cures a little slower but I've yet to have a vane come off or an insert come out if the prep is done correctly. That being acetone wipe, and for inserts, some sand paper on the insert and inside the shaft, followed by acetone cleansing. Seems to stay a little flexible and it states that it is impact resistant.

I'm curious what Jerry at South Shore uses.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
Normous

Post by Normous »

How old is the Fletch Tite Platinum? Was it a fresh opened tube? Older Platinum glue should be tossed, especially it is sits for more than a couple months.

Acetone leaves a residue that can contribute to the problem, there are better products to use.

Lastly, did you use a fresh pack of Blazers? Older Blazers should be cleaned before applying glue and don't use acetone either.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Call Jerry at southshore Archery and get a bottle of his glue , Best I've ever used ! How many people have you heard complaining about fletchimg coming off his arrows ? His glue is awesome !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

If you look at your arrow and fletching you can see where the glue is adhering. If the brunt of the glue is on your shaft, you're not cleaning your vanes correctly. If it's on your vanes but not the shaft, you're not cleaning your shaft properly. If you're glue is on both but not adhering, you have a glue issue. There are so many possible variables. Personally, the best I've used is the G5 blue glue. I also use the Flex Fletch 'Zing' primer on my vanes before applying my glue and I thoughrollly clean all components.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Gorrilla glue, blue top. Store your acetate glues in the fridge for much longer shelf life.
Hank
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I use the same thing Jerry does,,, call SSAS and he will set you up. You cannot rip the glue flange off. I have tried after numerous target pass thru's. They just rip off at the glue flange and I still need a razor knife to cut the flange off!! I have been told Dorge sells a cement that works as good, but that is hearsay. I know what Jerry sells and can assure you it is way superior Bohning Fletch-Tite Platinum, and Goat tuff, they don't compare, and I've shot Jerry's right off the jig!

I use acetone to clean both arrows and vanes,,, they ain't comin off!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

I'm a fan of the Loctite Super Glue Professional.. I've not had any issue with this glue.. Vanes don't pop off..
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Gorilla glue with the blue top for me. :)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Mr.Boiler

Post by Mr.Boiler »

LEPAGE SUPER GLUE ULTRA GEL. Its seems to be the same as the Loctite super glue gel with the blue top and the Gorilla Glue with the blue top. Basically its Cyanoacrylate but in a gel form. It doesn't set up as quickly as the liquid stuff but its still quick. Maybe 5 seconds instead of 1 second. Ive replaced inserts and done fletches with it. Works great and as one poster said its impact resistant.
"So at this time take, please, your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt some wild game for me." Gen. 27:3
So I took my Excalibur Micro 335 and my Marlin 336 and my Henry .22lr Frontier and did just so...
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Mr.Boiler wrote:LEPAGE SUPER GLUE ULTRA GEL. Its seems to be the same as the Loctite super glue gel with the blue top and the Gorilla Glue with the blue top. Basically its Cyanoacrylate but in a gel form. It doesn't set up as quickly as the liquid stuff but its still quick. Maybe 5 seconds instead of 1 second. Ive replaced inserts and done fletches with it. Works great and as one poster said its impact resistant.
This is what I use for everything - fletching and inserts. Love it.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Pasidewinder

Post by Pasidewinder »

I have also had trouble with the Fletch tight platinum, I was wondering what's goin on.

When I glue blazers directly to the shaft they pull right off, but when I use wraps on my arrows you can't pull the blazers off with pliers. It led me to believe I wasn't prepping shafts right, but I've always done it the same for years and never had any problems.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....I like many have been on the quest for the best glue and adhesives since I started making my own arra's...I have read and heard and tried and now have a collection of many different types of glue, applicators syringes and needle points...

....yes I take all of the proper steps in arra preparation with alcohol, acetone, sanding, vane prep , etcetera, etcetera, etcetera! All that I have tried has been met with what I believe to have been "so so results" at best!

....By George, I think I found 2 products that when combined and used have solved the age old problem of vanes coming loose and worse yet inserts, fieldtips and or broadheads disappearing into that black hole in the target.

Insert Glue...MCS (Mike) turned me on to this adhesive that he uses for his traditional archery...It is called TECBOND 214-43-043. It comes in what looks like a church "novena" candle. It melts like the well known hot glue . It's a rubbery glue and hardens to a hard rubber texture...Since it doesn't harden like traditional glue it holds a heck of a lot better. It appears to be impervious to temperature changes as it stretches instead of cracking.... haven't lost a an insert since I've been using it. Here is where you could buy it:

http://www.kustomkingarchery.com/Quick- ... info/6600/

Fletching Glue....Out of all of the glues I have tried...and there are a lot and some are very expensive...the best I have found has been previously mentioned as being extremely effective. It is the Gorilla Glue- Super Glue with the blue applicator cap. The one I use is the 6g-2 tube package, each with it's own applicator cap...man is this stuff easy to use...and bonds and adheres quickly...here is a picture of what I bought at Home Depot for $5.99:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gorilla-Glue-78 ... 2ee5c40e73

...My quest has ended...I am now sold as I have found "fletching glue" and "Insert adhesive" Nirvana!....I think I'll vacation in Hoboken with the money saved on glue and adhesives..."...Start spreading the glue, I'm leaving today...I want to be a part of it...."

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings