Sept 20th, 24hours with Outback

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Outback

Sept 20th, 24hours with Outback

Post by Outback »

Finally getting some rest from a hectic weekend. Had my buddy come down on Thursday night for some goose hunting on Friday. Friday morning was quite slow and I dropped only 1 bird. Headed back to the spot for an afternoon hunt. Yuppers the birds where already there. Got into the field and chased them away only to have 2 good flocks come into my GMC 3500 Dually blind. Only managed to get 1 bird by the time we got the gun socks and trigger locks off.

Saturday was a wash out with all the rain so we went to feed the beart's as they hadn't been fed for over a week. Was trying to get the sow and 3 cub that had been coming in to take a hike. My buddy headed back home later that afternoon.

Sunday morning up at the crack of stupid and headed to the goose field. Got set up by 5:30 am and waited.
Image[/URL][/img]

A few bird started to move. Started getting some action at around 7:20 and had a 10 bird limit by 7:45. Got home and cleaned them up, had some lunch then put the waterfowl gear back in the storage trailer till next week. Loaded up the Equinox and other gear then told the wife I was going to go and shoot a beart.
Image[/URL][/img]

In my stand by 3:00pm, my barrel had been hit. Nothing much going on but I did notice that I managed a 20 minute nap. Around 6:10 I had a feeling, looked down to my right and about 20 feet inside the bush line was a beart. Sniffing, scratching himself, sniffing some more. He could smell me but couldn't figure it out. He started to pace back and forth to the 20yd marker just inside the bush line. He came out once but turned and immediately went back in. 6:45 his gut got the best of him and he cam out to the barrel, quartering away I sent one of Big John's laser guided Zombie's his way. Hit him hard and off he ran.

I got out of the stand to retrieve the arrow and found good red blood. Started to look for the blood trail but couldn't find any. Went out to the path I walked in on figuring he crossed it. Found some blood then went to drop some gear at the truck and make a few calls for some help before heading into the bush. Then I heard the moan and felt more at ease heading in to look for him. 7:30 I marked my entrance to the bush for my friend who was now on her way to help. I headed in following the blood trail. This boar took me on quite a journey to say the least. Some of the thickest, dirtiest places I've been in the dark for sure. I found him just around 10:30. Now where am I?

I texted JB to let her know I had found the beart.

Image[/URL][/img]

I instructed her while watching her phone for a text to drive the 4 wheeler till I could hear it. I would then text to stop when I could hear the wheeler. Then I got her to drive further but noticed the sound going away from me so texted for her to return to the first spot. I told JB that the moon was to my right so she should face the wheeler to the bush and face the headlights to her left. Then asked her to call out something every few minutes so I could follow the sound to the trail. I had now burnt out 2 sets of batteries in 2 different flashlights. Still had the headlight working though. I had also walked into a thick branch getting hit right in the eyeball. I could only see good with the left eye and all blurry with the right eye.The whole time from heading in and out I had been leaving trail marking tape every 10-15 yds or so. Tried to slash a makeshift trail with a folding pack saw as well. From the time I seen the headlights it still took about 30-40 minutes to get back to the main trail.

I was pretty tired but got some gear jumped on the wheeler with JB walking behind and headed back in. Within minutes we where right back where we started. Got things figured out and made our way in to get the beart.
Image[/URL][/img]

Made it with some more trail busting work, got'em tagged and headed back out. Quite a lot of work was involved but the biggest hurdle came at the end of the bush was a good sized fairly steep hill. Ended up having to winch our way and resetting the anchor tree twice but that got us about 10 feet from the main trail and no place to anchor. I got JB to unhook the cable and spooled it in, managed to get standing on the seat leaning over the bars and hit the throttle. Damn near flipped it over backwards but made it. Found a place just off the trail on good flat ground and gutted the beart. Headed to the truck and got him loaded. It was now 1:35 AM.

Arrived home and had him hanging by 3:00 AM. JB headed home as she had to work in a few hours and I went in the house got washed up and right to bed. I had now been up 23 1/2 hours shot 10 geese, a 210lb beart, wandered around the bush in the dark for hours. Punished my 4 wheeler and my o'le body. Wasn't long falling asleep after going over the events of the day. Quite the adventure.

As I type this up a coupla days later the beart is at the butchers, My aches and pains have subsided, the o'le right eyeball has stopped throbbing and hurting with swelling going down. Would I do it again? YOU BET!!!!!!! Will see if we got any decent pic's to post and yes kind of a joke with us is we call them beart's.

outback
Last edited by Outback on Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
W.Miguire

Re: Sept 20th, 24hours with Outback

Post by W.Miguire »

And who said hunten wasn't fun. :lol: :lol: congrats on your quest.
W.M.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....one heckuva story there Steve...I could picture you telling it yet again at 2016 Boofest....face all lit up and animated...the only difference is you would be throwing in a few "eh's" while you would be telling it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

....that is one mighty fine day (literally 24 hrs) you had their buddy....couldn't have packed more action and adventure into a "hunting day" than you did...at least you have a story, harvest and an eyeball to hunt another day!

...can't wait to have some of that "beart" next year....10 months away btw....

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Congrats on your beart and what and adventure just to get to him. Great story thanks
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

What a story!!! thats the stuff we live for!!!! Excellent hunt and a very SWEET 24 hrs.....
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Normous

Post by Normous »

When you have a chance Steve, try to get some sleep.
What a day!, Congrats.
I have a feeling the boys will do well during deer season.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
CrazyAce

Post by CrazyAce »

Awesome story! Those like days are what the other 364 prepare us for. :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:
-SnotRocket-
Matrix 405
DLX scope
TriggerTech 2.5#
DrStirrup rig
8ptbuk, vixenmaster, Boo Flemish String
Zombie Slayer, Executioner
Wabi Call
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

AWESOME story Steve! :D Like Anthony said, I can't wait for you to tell it again at the upcoming Boofest. It's a lot more fun recounting the story than it is when you're elbows deep in the middle of it. Soooo, which broadhead were you using and where did you end up hitting the beart? Single lung, liver, double lung?

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
huntinwi

Post by huntinwi »

GREAT STORY
CONGRATS!!!!!!
munch

Post by munch »

That's a real adventure Steve congrats nice looking bear
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
wabi

Post by wabi »

Great story!
I'll bet that you'll enjoy some fine meals this winter!
wabi
Waif

Post by Waif »

That's some hunting... that is.
Congrats!
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats Steve!! As others have said can,t wait for story time at Boo Fest!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Congrats! Smoked goose and bear for everyone! :lol:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Outback wrote:Finally getting some rest from a hectic weekend. Had my buddy come down on Thursday night for some goose hunting on Friday. Friday morning was quite slow and I dropped only 1 bird. Headed back to the spot for an afternoon hunt. Yuppers the birds where already there. Got into the field and chased them away only to have 2 good flocks come into my GMC 3500 Dually blind. Only managed to get 1 bird by the time we got the gun socks and trigger locks off.

Saturday was a wash out with all the rain so we went to feed the beart's as they hadn't been fed for over a week. Was trying to get the sow and 3 cub that had been coming in to take a hike. My buddy headed back home later that afternoon.

Sunday morning up at the crack of stupid and headed to the goose field. Got set up by 5:30 am and waited.
Image[/URL][/img]

A few bird started to move. Started getting some action at around 7:20 and had a 10 bird limit by 7:45. Got home and cleaned them up, had some lunch then put the waterfowl gear back in the storage trailer till next week. Loaded up the Equinox and other gear then told the wife I was going to go and shoot a beart.
Image[/URL][/img]

In my stand by 3:00pm, my barrel had been hit. Nothing much going on but I did notice that I managed a 20 minute nap. Around 6:10 I had a feeling, looked down to my right and about 20 feet inside the bush line was a beart. Sniffing, scratching himself, sniffing some more. He could smell me but couldn't figure it out. He started to pace back and forth to the 20yd marker just inside the bush line. He came out once but turned and immediately went back in. 6:45 his gut got the best of him and he cam out to the barrel, quartering away I sent one of Big John's laser guided Zombie's his way. Hit him hard and off he ran.

I got out of the stand to retrieve the arrow and found good red blood. Started to look for the blood trail but couldn't find any. Went out to the path I walked in on figuring he crossed it. Found some blood then went to drop some gear at the truck and make a few calls for some help before heading into the bush. Then I heard the moan and felt more at ease heading in to look for him. 7:30 I marked my entrance to the bush for my friend who was now on her way to help. I headed in following the blood trail. This boar took me on quite a journey to say the least. Some of the thickest, dirtiest places I've been in the dark for sure. I found him just around 10:30. Now where am I?

I texted JB to let her know I had found the beart.

Image[/URL][/img]

I instructed her while watching her phone for a text to drive the 4 wheeler till I could hear it. I would then text to stop when I could hear the wheeler. Then I got her to drive further but noticed the sound going away from me so texted for her to return to the first spot. I told JB that the moon was to my right so she should face the wheeler to the bush and face the headlights to her left. Then asked her to call out something every few minutes so I could follow the sound to the trail. I had now burnt out 2 sets of batteries in 2 different flashlights. Still had the headlight working though. I had also walked into a thick branch getting hit right in the eyeball. I could only see good with the left eye and all blurry with the right eye.The whole time from heading in and out I had been leaving trail marking tape every 10-15 yds or so. Tried to slash a makeshift trail with a folding pack saw as well. From the time I seen the headlights it still took about 30-40 minutes to get back to the main trail.

I was pretty tired but got some gear jumped on the wheeler with JB walking behind and headed back in. Within minutes we where right back where we started. Got things figured out and made our way in to get the beart.
Image[/URL][/img]

Made it with some more trail busting work, got'em tagged and headed back out. Quite a lot of work was involved but the biggest hurdle came at the end of the bush was a good sized fairly steep hill. Ended up having to winch our way and resetting the anchor tree twice but that got us about 10 feet from the main trail and no place to anchor. I got JB to unhook the cable and spooled it in, managed to get standing on the seat leaning over the bars and hit the throttle. Damn near flipped it over backwards but made it. Found a place just off the trail on good flat ground and gutted the beart. Headed to the truck and got him loaded. It was now 1:35 AM.

Arrived home and had him hanging by 3:00 AM. JB headed home as she had to work in a few hours and I went in the house got washed up and right to bed. I had now been up 23 1/2 hours shot 10 geese, a 210lb beart, wandered around the bush in the dark for hours. Punished my 4 wheeler and my o'le body. Wasn't long falling asleep after going over the events of the day. Quite the adventure.

As I type this up a coupla days later the beart is at the butchers, My aches and pains have subsided, the o'le right eyeball has stopped throbbing and hurting with swelling going down. Would I do it again? YOU BET!!!!!!! Will see if we got any decent pic's to post and yes kind of a joke with us is we call them beart's.

outback
You sure did earn what you got! CONGRATS!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!