Stirrup slipped of foot while cocking my Excalibur

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Richieg150

Stirrup slipped of foot while cocking my Excalibur

Post by Richieg150 »

I was out at a 3d range a couple weeks ago. It was a 10 target range and I was on target 7. Its a 60 yard uphill shot. I had to cross a few muddy little water ways so my boots had some mud on them. I put my cocking aid on my string, inserted my foot into the stirrup and proceeded to cock my Excalibur. I was just about ready to feel it engage my accu trigger when all of a sudden the stirrup slipped off my foot. If it wasn't for my Tach Zone Scope hitting me in the ribs, who knows how far it might have been catapulted into the brush. I knew the instant I was hit in my ribs, just what had happened. It knocked the wind out of me, and when I tried to breath, I couldn't because of the pain in my ribs, and no cell phone reception where I was at. I just relaxed and tried getting my wind back, finally I could breath, but taking a big full breath was no happening. My initial though was, great, I probably knocked my scope off zero now...... I went home, nothing sticking out or in my ribs so I figured all was well. Self diagnosis was either cracked or broken ribs, but I read on the net that If you could take 1 full breath a hour you would be ok.... I could barely but it was super painful. I couldn't lay on that side or my back for about a week, but its improving. Its still sore but I can now take deep breaths without a lot of pain, still sore and tender. I have a friend who broke some ribs and told me there's nothing that can be done, just bare the pain until it heals up. The most important thing is that I took my Excalibur out and checked the zero..... PERFECT. I guess it takes more than my ribs to knock the Tach Zone out of zero. Its a lesson I learned the hard way, I will not let that happen again to me. :wink:
Psalm 144:1-1 Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.
2 He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge, who subdues peoples under me
paulaboutform

Re: Stirrup slipped of foot while cocking my Excalibur

Post by paulaboutform »

When I first watched the how to videos I paid close attention to everything they said. Probably because crossbows scared me a little. :oops: Make sure your foot is buried in that stirrup, not just on the ball of your foot. I'm glad you're on the mend. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Having your foot slip out of the stirrup was more common with the earlier model bows.

I am sure happy that you were not more serously hurt. I do know what broken ribs feel like (they are real painful) but there have been much more serious injuries in the past.

This is why it is "VERY IMPORTANT" to stand to the side (not having the stock below your chest) when you cock your bow. If your foot slips out, or if the sturrip fails (breaks) the butt end of the stock will not strike you in the chest with extreme froce.

Again, I am glad you were not more serously hurt.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Sounds like a case for Dr. Stirrup, when you use his stirrup you must use both feet you are lucky you didn't puncture a lung. I broke a couple of ribs once ,no fun . hope you are fleeing better.
W.M.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Had the wind knocked out of me once...not being able to get air into my lungs was scary as all get out! :shock:

Sorry to hear you got banged up some but good to hear you and your bow are ok. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
XcaliburFX

Post by XcaliburFX »

Yikes!! You could have lost some teeth too!!! :shock: I feel your pain buddy, believe me I do.
Assassin 360 Strata
BEA Zombie Slayer - BEA Executioner
Boo/VixenMaster/Xcaliber/NCHunterKW Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....you might need to call DrStirrup...that'll never happen to you again!

....looks like that stirrup and you got into a little tussle for sure!

....if nothing else I am sure you'll make sure your foot is well secured into that stirrup the next time!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
fergie

Post by fergie »

watched a friend uncock his bow at last light while hunting a few years ago. foot wasn't in the stirrup all the way and wet , he used the cocking aid and his foot slipped out as he pulled the trigger........ butt right in his gut. good thing he has a lot of padding...... :lol:
matrix 380 blackout "Reaper", nchunterkw flemish string, triggertech single stage, matrix munch mount, Rhinehart Block, 18" zombie slayers c/o big john
fully dressed in drstirrup is the "reaper"
Eck

Post by Eck »

I believe it is a good practice to insert your foot to the heel of your boot to prevent incidents like this. That creates a pocket for the stirrup to sit in. Just a thought . . .
Micro 335
Matrix 380
Boofest 2016 Matrix 330
Trigger Techs all around
125 gr. QAD Exodus (Micro) 100 gr Slicks otherwise
Strings by Vixenmaster
Arrows by Xcaliber
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

That's one thing you'll only do once! Glad you got your wind back, and didn't knock your brains out! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
SEW

Post by SEW »

When first using the Dr Stirrup stirrup, I thought of how much safer this is for protecting from this type of injury and reducing back strain. I personally don't like the additional protrusion of the Dr Stirrup stirrup but gladly accept it for its enhanced capabilities. Hope you heal quickly!
bubba

Post by bubba »

Hope you heal soon also. That had to have hurt.
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
wabi

Post by wabi »

That had to have hurt! :shock:

Only broken bones a crossbow has ever given me was from a finger in the string's path.
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Sorry to hear of that happin, glad to hear yer on the mend
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Tom

Post by Tom »

W.Miguire wrote:Sounds like a case for Dr. Stirrup, when you use his stirrup you must use both feet you are lucky you didn't puncture a lung. I broke a couple of ribs once ,no fun . hope you are fleeing better.
W.M.
I looked over all the "Dr. Stirrup" offerings when I was at BooFest this year and loved the rope cocker & his bumpers. But the stirrup caused me to question the fact that shooters will want to use both feet putting the butt end of the stock directly in line with his/her chest or rib cage. I know the chance of anything happening is slim, but nearly all "freak accidents" had a slim chance of happening.

I have to look away everytime I see someone cock their bow with the stock pointing at their mid-section, "it is just dangerous".

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]