Public land

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Turkey slayer

Public land

Post by Turkey slayer »

Who all on the site hunts public land ? I've been hunting maryland public land for two years with success, I hunt private in pa , how ever the crossbow has added some challenge to this . Do you guys sit on the ground or use a climber ? I killed a buck last Saturday from the ground , first one off the ground in 23 years of bow hunting an it was exciting . With the weight of a climber ,back pack an the cumbersome axiom crossbow it's a lot to tote around. Makes me miss my hoyt some days lol
GrassyKnoll

Re: Public land

Post by GrassyKnoll »

I hunt State and County lands here in Central NJ... I do all right most seasons, but you still have to be willing to hump in deep and sit all day... Way too many wannabes in the woods though for sure around here...

I hunt from portable treestands and have just recently erected a natural ground blind in a big patch of woods behind my house that I intend to nurse it through the winter season and shoot a big fat juicy doe from, or a big buck if such a thing exists.. The cam will tell.. :)
Last edited by GrassyKnoll on Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I use a climber on Public Land in Indiana, but also on private property.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

We hunt state land in Michigan Arenac county with climbers or natural ground blinds. We mainly hunt for does and do pretty good most years..
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

I hunt both public and private in PA. I use a climber or with my kids I'll use a ground blind that's brushed in.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Turkey slayer wrote:Who all on the site hunts public land ? I've been hunting maryland public land for two years with success, I hunt private in pa , how ever the crossbow has added some challenge to this . Do you guys sit on the ground or use a climber ? I killed a buck last Saturday from the ground , first one off the ground in 23 years of bow hunting an it was exciting . With the weight of a climber ,back pack an the cumbersome axiom crossbow it's a lot to tote around. Makes me miss my hoyt some days lol
T/S. Get a Game Plan Gear stand harness, I have one in the pic. It puts the weight on your hips, and the belt keeps it from shifting, makes a huge difference! I walk in with the stand, backpack, and my Xcal. I walk in about .8 miles, no problem. I'm almost 55, so not a pup either.

[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... u.jpg.html]Image
cadmaster

Post by cadmaster »

Here in ontario I used to hunt private land near Powassan until the owners moved away. Now we only hunt public land and have been fairly successful.
JB'STAXIDERMY

Post by JB'STAXIDERMY »

I hunt public and private land here in Alabama. I use whatever i need to get the job done from climbers,lock-ons, ground blinds. The way i see it u have to be versatile to get those big bucks because everyone of them is different from their habits to where they are residing.
Equinox
Hawke xb30 pro
Boo Trigger job
Firebolts
Slick Tricks
Vixenmaster string
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Public land for me. :)
I have to do my homework but i usually fill my tags. :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Turkey slayer

Post by Turkey slayer »

I just bought a x sit an climb since it weighs 12 pounds figured it be better then my summit open shot for deep wood hunts , well I was wrong I never worked so hard to get up a tree15 feet in my life. Only good thing about the stand is the seat
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Sorry to hear that, some of them will beat the snot out of you!
Turkey slayer

Post by Turkey slayer »

Only good thing came out of it was my buddies got a good laugh at me trying to climb with it lol
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Im getting lazy now .i have a honey hole near home in se p.a. i hunt public land n open farms in carbon county i got some nice deer in the past using a old fashoned baker or trailhawk climber. I leave the climber aid at home n hug the tree to save weight. ...just remember a "trophy " is just a big buck for ur neiborhood in the jersey pines it might be a six. Or in the poconos it might be a basket rack six. Dont matter be proud of your public ground buck . Some day you hust might stumble upon a biggun it happens
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Turkey slayer

Post by Turkey slayer »

Just not use to dealing with people while hunting lol, deer wise I know that the chances of big bucks are slim on public land never really was a big buck hunter although here in pa on private I've been lucky to take some pa trophies just public land doesn't appeal to me now public land turkey hunting is my bread an butter come spring lol
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Mostly Public lands for Archery hanting, and my good friend has over 100 acres approx. a couple hrs from me during the gun season for Deer here in Ohio.