Practice vs. Hunting Arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TheBig1

Practice vs. Hunting Arrows

Post by TheBig1 »

Ok folks, i went out today and finally shot everything in to a decently killing degree. I say that because it's not my standards of perfection but it's within an inch so I'll deal with it.

Anyways my question is, after shooting these arrows for practice and seeing some of the decal rub off from the target, do you use the same arrows for hunting or will you switch to four brand new ones?

Keep in mind that I'm shooting Spynal Tapps from Jerry and that I ordered a full dozen.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
gendoc

Re: Practice vs. Hunting Arrows

Post by gendoc »

you should test the one your going to hunt with. that's just the way I see it 8)

I test the complete arra, from the shaft, fletch/wrap, inserts/nocks and BH.

again, just me............. :mrgreen:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Unless I break one, the arrows I practice with are my hunting arrows.
Hank
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

All of my arrows are huntin arrows
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

gendoc wrote:you should test the one your going to hunt with. that's just the way I see it 8)

I test the complete arra, from the shaft, fletch/wrap, inserts/nocks and BH.

again, just me............. :mrgreen:
Exactamundo

No other way to do it IMHO.

You have to shoot exactly what you hunt with.
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

TheBig1 wrote:Ok folks, i went out today and finally shot everything in to a decently killing degree. I say that because it's not my standards of perfection but it's within an inch so I'll deal with it.

Anyways my question is, after shooting these arrows for practice and seeing some of the decal rub off from the target, do you use the same arrows for hunting or will you switch to four brand new ones?

Keep in mind that I'm shooting Spynal Tapps from Jerry and that I ordered a full dozen.

Chad
So what does not meet your standards? the bow, the arrows, or your form? :lol:
I shoot the arrows I'm going to hunt with at the longest distance i hunt at minimum one time! I want to make sure what I put in my quiver WORKS!

Good Luck! Just poking at you brother! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

xcaliber wrote:
TheBig1 wrote:Ok folks, i went out today and finally shot everything in to a decently killing degree. I say that because it's not my standards of perfection but it's within an inch so I'll deal with it.

Chad
So what does not meet your standards? the bow, the arrows, or your form? :lol:
I shoot the arrows I'm going to hunt with at the longest distance i hunt at minimum one time! I want to make sure what I put in my quiver WORKS!

Good Luck! Just poking at you brother! :wink:
Lol I know you are! I'm not hitting exactly where I'm aiming but it is within an inch. My standard is if I aim at a fly at 20 yards I want to hit said fly.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I do a lot of off hand shooting close to the season because I hunt from a tree stand. The deer never line up where I want to take the shot. If you can hit a small balloon at 30 yards off hand, every time, that is the limit, if 40 works for you youngsters, then 40 it is. I set my gear up from the bench, but that won't get it in the stand.

I need to go hunting! :lol:
Good luck Chad! I think you'll do well bud.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

xcaliber wrote:I do a lot of off hand shooting close to the season because I hunt from a tree stand. The deer never line up where I want to take the shot. If you can hit a small balloon at 30 yards off hand, every time, that is the limit, if 40 works for you youngsters, then 40 it is. I set my gear up from the bench, but that won't get it in the stand.

I need to go hunting! :lol:
Good luck Chad! I think you'll do well bud.
Thank you Brother, I appreciate your input. Good luck to you also. I'm ready for next weekend to finally get here.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I shoot from my off shoulder lookin backwards usin a mirror, jus like a lil challenge don't cha knowed :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

vixenmaster wrote:I shoot from my off shoulder lookin backwards usin a mirror, jus like a lil challenge don't cha knowed :)
A regular Annie Oakley :lol:
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

I hunt with the arrows I practice with daily, including my broadheads. I just put fresh blades on the old heads I practice with. Also I've noticed a fresh wrap will not behave like a wrap that has been down the rail a few times... Not sure what it is about that but it seems the norm for me. So I've decided to go Commando on my shafts this season and no wraps.
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
venison

does anybody shoot capture nocks

Post by venison »

Im new on this site and wanted to ask if anybody notice a difference shooting out at distance with capturenocks ..Im shooting a matrix 380 20 inch black excutioner 3 inch bohing vanes ..Just was wondering if anybody on here has tested them out :?: :roll:
paulaboutform

Re: does anybody shoot capture nocks

Post by paulaboutform »

venison wrote:Im new on this site and wanted to ask if anybody notice a difference shooting out at distance with capturenocks ..Im shooting a matrix 380 20 inch black excutioner 3 inch bohing vanes ..Just was wondering if anybody on here has tested them out :?: :roll:
These bows are designed to shoot flat nocks and do so with amazing accuracy. I DO NOT recommend capture nocks with any of the Excalibur crossbows. You could be in for a world of hurt by a nock breaking and the string being cut by the shaft or an arrow not tracking properly on the rail and going astray. Don't do it....besides, there's no need to reinvent the wheel.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
xcaliber

Re: does anybody shoot capture nocks

Post by xcaliber »

paulaboutform wrote:
venison wrote:Im new on this site and wanted to ask if anybody notice a difference shooting out at distance with capturenocks ..Im shooting a matrix 380 20 inch black excutioner 3 inch bohing vanes ..Just was wondering if anybody on here has tested them out :?: :roll:
These bows are designed to shoot flat nocks and do so with amazing accuracy. I DO NOT recommend capture nocks with any of the Excalibur crossbows. You could be in for a world of hurt by a nock breaking and the string being cut by the shaft or an arrow not tracking properly on the rail and going astray. Don't do it....besides, there's no need to reinvent the wheel.

Paul
Totally Agree!