My Honey Hole Has Been Corrupted

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

drkeenan

My Honey Hole Has Been Corrupted

Post by drkeenan »

I've been hunting my neighbors 10 acres for the past six years with great success averaging 4 deer/year. It is productive and so perfectly convenient to my home. I often go there to sit for an hour or two with no concern about preparation. Unfortunately the land owner's daughter just gave permission to FOUR other hunters. They were over there yesterday with a plat map scoping out stand locations! I am grateful for the exclusivity that I've enjoyed for 6 years, but man am I bummed about what the future holds on this property!!
Micro 355 - (Mortal Cause II)
Stock String
Black Eagle Executioner Bolts
Tact Zone Scope
NAP SpitfiresXXX - 100 gn
ATN Shot Trak Video Camera
vixenmaster

Re: My Honey Hole Has Been Corrupted

Post by vixenmaster »

Bummer, n 10 acres ain't enuff land but fer one person
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bubba

Post by bubba »

That suck's for sure. Time to look for another spot. Good luck.
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

If it's good enough spot, and you know it well, perhaps you can hope that these guys will push deer to you! :wink: Most folks will try to take the easy route, so if you know where the nasty spots are, slip in, & out. Hey, if you get one nice one, it's worth it.

Good luck, and sorry to hear of the invasion.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Been there...... funny thought i was driving a half hour north to a "great spot" i lost it to an invasion was all bummed wen a friend offered me his backyard . I got about 6 giant 8pointers off his backyard better than i ever did driving north n to boot it was 10 minutes away. I was passing this great spot driving north. .... just remember one door opens one door closes! If worse comes to worse have your just have ur wife drop you off somewere good n pick you up. ..... just kidding .keep looking you will find another honey hole. Lbj
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Fletch2

Post by Fletch2 »

They may not do so well might be all yours in a little bit :D
2012 vortex
vixenmaster string
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

I can relate to your situation,,,the way I see it the NEW guys are inconsiderate ,,and your landowner is as well,,,what those others hunters SHOULD have done is sought to make your aquantance and ask YOU,,,SEE IF ITS OK WITH YOU,,,C,mon 10 acres,,,what a bunch of D-HEADSPrepare yourself for battle if you intend to keep YOUR spot,,,and a rare one at that,,,I had the same thing happen to me,,,I went and talked to the landowner and calmy pleaded my case that it was just not big enuff for all ,,,aksed to establish boundaries as to where the intruders could set up makin sure not to mess me up when or when I was not there,,,and if they violated those terms they were kicked off,,,and that's what happened,,,they got greedy and are now gone,,,and before that I made sure to give them a pretty good piece of my mind,,,asked them if they were in my shoes,,,how would they like it!! GOOD LUCK..don't let them push you out!!
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
rayman

Post by rayman »

Way these things go sometimes. Sucks. When the landowner, or immediate family member thereof, is giving permission to other people, not much you can do except be grown up about it. :?
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

To add to my previous post,,,I have helped my landowner in the past with chores and have always remembered to show my appreciation around Thanksgiving and Christmas with a variety of gift certificates
to boot,,,that goes along way,,,havin a place cl :wink: ose to home in and around suburpia,,or anywhere for that matter is something to cherish,,,they are few and far between
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Man I feel for you. I also hunt an area that is only about 10 acres. When I share it with my kids we are essentially hunting the same deer which I am perfectly fine with since I am just as happy for them to get one. I was invited onto the property about 10 years ago and a couple others were already hunting there. Eventually one quit hunting so I only had one guy to share it with. He didn't bow hunt much, so I pretty much had the run of the place until bow season was over.

I did not see him for the past few seasons and assumed the high cost of out of state licenses forced him to abandon the place. On opening day of the black powder season this past year he reappeared and brought his son (30+ years old) and his son's wife to hunt there. They snuck in from above so the landowner would not know how many there were. I'm sure he didn't ask permission for them. They proceeded to sit down less than 100 yards away from me. This happened twice. The second time he sat in a stand not 70 yards from mine that had been there more than a decade.

The original hunter left me a very nasty and childish message taped to one of my stands that was near to one that had not been used for years that was left by a prior hunter. He laid claim to the abandoned stand and wanted me to move my stand or else. I gave the note to the landowner and told him that I did not think the land was large enough for the two of us and it would be best if one of us no longer hunted on the property. The landowner called him and banished him to the lower area of the property for the remainder of the season which would be his last. Following the season I removed every abandoned piece of steel from the landowners property that did not belong to me. Some cross-beams on stands had grown into the trees and had to be cut away.

If the landowner really wants you there, they will work with you to right the situation. If the landowner doesn't really care if you are there or not then there is not much you can do but grin and bear it or move on. It sucks, but that's just the way it is sometimes.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

vixenmaster wrote:Bummer, n 10 acres ain't enuff land but fer one person
X2,,,, That suck's,,, I would move on, If 4 people (hunters??) are planning on all hunting 10 acres it is obviously not worth sticking around to see, no matter what wind they would hunt it on it will be ruined on one hunt with 4 people in it,,,, sure not what I would call hunting, You may stick around and watch the demise?????? Good Luck finding some property worth being on! Image
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

I have been hunting my brother-in-laws open field for about 12 years . There are no trees on it just a grown up fence line that runs between two big parcels. I set up a ground blind and only see a few deer a year, but that's all I need. BUT today I went out there and found 3 trucks parked on the 2 wheel path to get in .They are goose hunters. And are there for the season. The land went co-op and My brother-in -law doesn't have any say on who hunts it any more. So if you feel like selling all your stuff and taking up T.V. watching I know how you feel because that's what I'll going to do.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

sorry to hear.. as you may have read in one of my earlier posts, we lost one of our honey holes and man, I feel for ya.. it sure stings.. in terms of someone saying these hunters should have asked YOUR permission, I am sorry to say but they have no need to ask how anyone feels about it.. if land owner gives them them the right to be there, your say won't amount to much.. I agree that they should meet with you ( as you've been hunting there for years and they're new there) to establish boundaries, making sure your spots you already set up aren't hunted by them or anything goes missing etc.. but this is one of those hard ones to swallow.. either plead your case to the landowner and state there isn't enough room for you all to hunt there, maybe the owner will realize that they shouldn't have let anyone else on there and straighten it out with these guys.. who knows.. best of luck in sorting it out, hope it all gets straight before the season is ruined ..
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

wildcatter wrote:
vixenmaster wrote:Bummer, n 10 acres ain't enuff land but fer one person
X2,,,, That suck's,,, I would move on, If 4 people (hunters??) are planning on all hunting 10 acres it is obviously not worth sticking around to see, no matter what wind they would hunt it on it will be ruined on one hunt with 4 people in it,,,, sure not what I would call hunting, You may stick around and watch the demise?????? Good Luck finding some property worth being on! Image

I Disagree,,,you found it,,,do what you need to do to hang on to it,,,do what you need to do to ultimately get rid of the intruders,,let them go find someplace else,,and in the meantime keep lookin for an other place just in case,,which can take a lot of time,,,,bottom line if those other hunters know you are there and have been there for awhile,,,which they probably do,,,they are assholes,,,plain and simple,,,no respect,,no ethics,,,just inconsiderate assholes,,,,
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

Did you at least go and talk to the lady that gave the other guys permission ,maybe she did not know you were still hunting there ,maybe just a mix up between her and her dad and maybe dad does not know she gave others permission .I would go and start with her dad the one that gave you permission see if he know she gave others permission ,then talk to her or have her dad talk to her ,just to be sure every one is on the same page ,,,,what have you got to loose ,,,,Dutch
addicted to canadian beaver