xcaliber Dan builds some ROBUST arrows (bolts)!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Eck

xcaliber Dan builds some ROBUST arrows (bolts)!

Post by Eck »

I was out this afternoon trying to put some finishing touches on my new Micro, and thought it was time to confirm my zero with broadheads (100 gr. Slick Tricks). Dan built me a dozen of his finest, along the lines of what he was using when he had a Micro; 15.5" Zombies, setup at about 352 gr with 100 grains points.

My broadhead target is a basically new Morrell, "rated for Crossbows". I didn't read the fine print that must have said unless you are shooting a hot, fast, new "Excalibur". I shot my trusty Exo-Mag at 25 yds with some "vintage" 2216s w/ 100 gr. Slicks, still fletched with feathers that I can't throw out because the still shoot so well. Only needed to shoot 3, no problems with tried and true.

Next up was the Micro. This one is still having some teething pains, but will probably still take it out this year - wanted to at least be prepared. After the first shot, looking throught the scope I thought, wow these arrows really penetrate, I'm almost up to the fletching! Second shot, I see a fine crosshair pattern on the target, can't see the nock. I knew what that meant! I figured, "oh well, we'll have to sort that out . . . " then I fired the 3rd arrow. Same as #2. I walk down to survey the damage, and found that arrow #2 stopped inside the block, with neither nock nor point breaking the surface. #3 came out the back about an inch, so I had enough room to take the broadhead off. With Danny Millers arrow puller I could tell it didn't want to pull through. I figured, OK, I'll have to push it back, and I know I'm tearing off the fletching, but I can get the arow refletched. Pushed it out backwards, no damage!

For #2, since I had nothing sticking out of the target, I had to take a wooden dowel, my leather mallet, and drive it through the back so I could get the puller on the arrow shaft. I was sure that I'd kill the fletching on that arrow . . . Once I pulled it out, no damage!!

I stepped back to 30 yards and confirmed the arrows still shot the same as they did before the "misadventure".

Tough fletching, Great arrows! :D
Micro 335
Matrix 380
Boofest 2016 Matrix 330
Trigger Techs all around
125 gr. QAD Exodus (Micro) 100 gr Slicks otherwise
Strings by Vixenmaster
Arrows by Xcaliber
Starvin' Hillbilly

Re: xcaliber Dan builds some ROBUST arrows (bolts)!

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

sounds like a good prep, tuff glue, tuff bond!
-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Ah tuff, tuffer, n toughest
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

He makes some fine arrows they've taken 3 deer this year
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
SummitSitter

Post by SummitSitter »

Does he have a website or contact info regarding his bolts?
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

You just have a cheap target :lol: :lol: Just funning Dan
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Eck

Post by Eck »

You can PM him at "xcaliber"
Micro 335
Matrix 380
Boofest 2016 Matrix 330
Trigger Techs all around
125 gr. QAD Exodus (Micro) 100 gr Slicks otherwise
Strings by Vixenmaster
Arrows by Xcaliber