Trouble cocking the Axiom

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

WNYBILL

Trouble cocking the Axiom

Post by WNYBILL »

We were shooting my Axiom yesterday and none of the women, not girls, could cock it with the cocking rope. They just weren't tall enough and/or strong enough to get that last inch or two. They used the crank and had a blast shooting it. The guys had no trouble, even the short ones. What were they doing wrong, this bow doesn't cock hard.

Bill
xcaliber

Re: Trouble cocking the Axiom

Post by xcaliber »

Shorten the rope to where you have to pull the string up about 6" to get the second hook on, try that. My daughter is 5' 1" about 103#, she can could cock my Vortex, and now the 330 Matrix.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Normous

Post by Normous »

Cocking a crossbow is a learned technique that requires a specific movement and some strength and as I have found this movement is not easy for first time female users.
Practice is the first and foremost and changing from a running shoe to a solid sole shoe/boot can help too.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
wabi

Post by wabi »

xcaliber wrote:Shorten the rope to where you have to pull the string up about 6" to get the second hook on, try that. My daughter is 5' 1" about 103#, she can could cock my Vortex, and now the 330 Matrix.
X2

I am about 5'6" and I keep mine where I have to pull the string back 3-4" to get the second hook on.
wabi
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

xcaliber wrote:Shorten the rope to where you have to pull the string up about 6" to get the second hook on, try that. My daughter is 5' 1" about 103#, she can could cock my Vortex, and now the 330 Matrix.
X2 !!!! about shorten the rope
Boo

Post by Boo »

Get them to use their legs as much as possible, look up in the last half and make it one smooth movement. But yes, shorten the rope as much as possible.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
kamski1151

Post by kamski1151 »

Yep, shorten cocking rope that should do it.
ohiobuck

Post by ohiobuck »

I just cocked when in my stand and found it easier than on the ground. I am kind of cramped. So had to have the butt stock way behind me. Pulled up using all legs. No back or arms. This is with a 405...I am 6'3" So not sure if it would translate well to someone vertically challenged. :)
Boo

Post by Boo »

ohiobuck wrote:I just cocked when in my stand and found it easier than on the ground. I am kind of cramped. So had to have the butt stock way behind me. Pulled up using all legs. No back or arms. This is with a 405...I am 6'3" So not sure if it would translate well to someone vertically challenged. :)
HEY! :lol: :lol: :lol:
But yes, cocking with your leg is much easier.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vpsaline

Post by vpsaline »

Interesting, are the cocking-aids provided by excalibur crossbow specific? The one for my my Micro cannot be lengthened to accommodate a regular for example!?!? I guess it 'could' be shortened though
Micro_335 - Nikon Bolt XR - 15.5'' Zombies - Killzone 100GR
Matrix G340 - Nikon Bolt XR - Muzzy 100GR