Crossbow Shooting Form

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TheBig1

Crossbow Shooting Form

Post by TheBig1 »

In a previous post of mine where I think I stated that I was having some sort of issue someone mentioned that the problem could perhaps be my shooting form.

So the question is, what is the proper form for shooting a crossbow?

I would assume it to be the same as shooting a rifle but am interested in learning something that I possibly do not know.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
wabi

Re: Crossbow Shooting Form

Post by wabi »

I'm no expert on shooting form, but I quickly figured out it's not wise to get a finger above the rail. :lol:

One time and I have never made that mistake again. :shock:

(6 stitches & 2 broken bones)
wabi
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

TheBig1 wrote:In a previous post of mine where I think I stated that I was having some sort of issue someone mentioned that the problem could perhaps be my shooting form.

I would assume it to be the same as shooting a rifle but am interested in learning something that I possibly do not know.
Yes, very much like the rifle form. It is vital for setting up the scope, etc. to use a bench rest.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

wabi wrote:I'm no expert on shooting form, but I quickly figured out it's not wise to get a finger above the rail. :lol:

OUCH!!!! Not a lesson that I want to me or my son to learn first hand, no pun intended.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

xcaliber wrote:
TheBig1 wrote:In a previous post of mine where I think I stated that I was having some sort of issue someone mentioned that the problem could perhaps be my shooting form.

Yes, very much like the rifle form. It is vital for setting up the scope, etc. to use a bench rest.
Ok, and I did all of this. I think one thing that I have to concentrate on, that I completely forgot about, was making sure that while shooting that the horizontal crosshairs are as level as possible.

I just didn't know if there were something different. Such as when shooting a vertical bow you do not want to grip the handle, instead you want to leave your hand loose and allow your hand loop catch the bow after the shot so you don't tweek it left or right. I just didn't know if there was some sort of technique in line with that type of shooting form that I did not know of or were missing.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
CalhounWV

Post by CalhounWV »

many people slightly cant a rifle and adjust the crosshair to horizontal.... with a crossbow the crosshair horizontal needs to match the limbs horizontal. then adjust your shooting form to match accordingly.

Happy Shooting,
Rick
Matrix Grizzly, diablo bolts w/luminated nock, 150 gr. BAT boltcutters.
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

wabi wrote:I'm no expert on shooting form, but I quickly figured out it's not wise to get a finger above the rail. :lol:

X2 all the way on that one !!!!
Boo

Post by Boo »

I don't see why it should be different from a rifle but the lock time is much longer on a crossbow so form is more critical.You pretty much need a level to shoot consistently off hand.
I'm right handed and shoot with my left elbow tucked against my left side and my left hand a head of the trigger guard.
It's pretty much like the pic below. Everyone's skeletal and muscle structure is different so, whatever works for you. I don't normally us a sling to stabilize the bow.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Drew

Post by Drew »

I use much the same form as Boo, but also use a sling for additional structural tension. I have it wrapped up high on my arm and adjusted so when I'm in position the sling is tight. Really aids in stability.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
Eck

Post by Eck »

One very important thing to keep in mind is that even a "fast" crossbow shoots at 1/3 the velocity of a .22 target round, and about 1/8 the velocity of the average high velocity centerfire round.

All of that means follow-through in delivering the shot is 3-8 times more critical, as is your ability to hold the bow still while the bolt is released. These are 2 separate, but very important issues.

1" groups from a bench at 60+ yards is impressive, and demonstrates the ability of the bow/arrow/shooter combined under the (almost) best of conditions. If you don't also practice standing, or other "improvised" postions to actually use in the field, that 1" combination can be degraded to 12" or worse at 30 yards in a hurry.
Last edited by Eck on Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micro 335
Matrix 380
Boofest 2016 Matrix 330
Trigger Techs all around
125 gr. QAD Exodus (Micro) 100 gr Slicks otherwise
Strings by Vixenmaster
Arrows by Xcaliber
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Thank you for your input everyone, I truly appreciate it.

One last question, since follow through is so very important due to the slower reaction of the string and arra than in a firearm, is there any remedy to the jump or jolt of the crossbow as it fires?
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
Normous

Post by Normous »

A good grip on the forend will help with jump.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Eck

Post by Eck »

TheBig1 wrote:Thank you for your input everyone, I truly appreciate it.

One last question, since follow through is so very important due to the slower reaction of the string and arra than in a firearm, is there any remedy to the jump or jolt of the crossbow as it fires?
Your body will accept the recoil; you need to make sure you have the same tension on the bow at all points (forend, buttstock, etc.) from shot-to-shot to ensure consistent performance on target.

Unfortunately, crossbow shooters can't dry-fire to practice. Make a conscious effort when shooting to make the crossbow a part of your body, and keep the sights/crosshairs unaffected by your breaking the shot (trigger pull) - this should reduce your anticipation, or flinch). That simple exercise will help with your follow-through.
Micro 335
Matrix 380
Boofest 2016 Matrix 330
Trigger Techs all around
125 gr. QAD Exodus (Micro) 100 gr Slicks otherwise
Strings by Vixenmaster
Arrows by Xcaliber
Boo

Post by Boo »

If you are talking about recoil, yes. You can slow down your string with cat whiskers or add weight to your bow. But truly, your best option is to ignore the recoil and concentrate on watching your arrow hit its mark through your scope.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Boo wrote:

If you are talking about recoil, yes. You can slow down your string with cat whiskers or add weight to your bow. But truly, your best option is to ignore the recoil and concentrate on watching your arrow hit its mark through your scope.
Yes, I'm sorry, I was talking about the recoil. I do have string whiskers on my string. Ok, so now I know to watch the arrow through the scope instead of lifting my head.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member