New guy with question after string change

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cibby

New guy with question after string change

Post by Cibby »

I got my Grizzly back in July and have put hundreds of arrows thru it. The center serving was looking worn so I put a new string on before hunting season opens. With my original string my brace height was 1 1/2 in. With the new string it's
1 1/8 in. Should I twist the string to get back to the brace height I had when I bought the Griz or leave it where it is with the new string.. I need to add I bought this at a big box store not a shop where they would set it up...your advice is needed. Thanks
Deerstalker

Re: New guy with question after string change

Post by Deerstalker »

My POI does not change when I change strings or adjust BH.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
Coon Gravy

Post by Coon Gravy »

My thought would be that if you are within acceptable BH range (which I think I have read repeatedly is 1"-1.5" on the Grizzly that the slight change is a non issue. The only consideration would be if you have a suppression system or REDS installed in which case you would want to make sure you have adequate clearance that is required to prevent the sting from becoming damaged or dislodging from the limbs on follow-through.
Please feel free to correct me if this is not right. I'm still learning too.

*EDIT: The manual says that Matrix Series BH is .5"-1" but mine was a bit longer than that out of the box too. (acceptable due to stretching I believe)

Joe
Grizzly & 355
Keystone & Copenhagen
Go Big Red!
Cibby

Post by Cibby »

I never thought there was a line on the rail of my Grizzly until I took the original string off. With the string off there is a line there I don't have my bow with me now but it is just under 1 1/2in. I'm all new to Excalibur but the original string I think had been twisted to get that brace height. I twisted the new string and it was right up to the line on the rail. I don't have REDS on yet that will be next. I know you experienced guys probably can do a string change blindfolded but I watched a video twice and took my time. After I took the string off a couple times to twist it I was a little more confident doing it but I am still learning all these little things.
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Takes a little practice but then becomes second nature ;)
Kinda like un-cocking with the rope.
First time I had my cheeks pinched together pretty tight :lol:
Never realized how easy it really is :mrgreen:

Ron.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
The Chief

Post by The Chief »

I suggest levae it alone for now. Take it out and shot it, shoot it and shoot it as much as you can. then leave it cocked over night. Check the brace height the next day. You are going to get string stretch and it could change everything. With those strings you never know what your going to get you could get a little stretch or a whole bunch. For the future always have a prestretched string ready to go for hunting season. that way if something happens you have a spare string to replace it right away with no worries.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Cibby wrote:I got my Grizzly back in July and have put hundreds of arrows thru it. The center serving was looking worn so I put a new string on before hunting season opens. With my original string my brace height was 1 1/2 in. With the new string it's
1 1/8 in. Should I twist the string to get back to the brace height I had when I bought the Griz or leave it where it is with the new string.. I need to add I bought this at a big box store not a shop where they would set it up...your advice is needed. Thanks
Your String is fine at 1 1/8 ad long as you have some twist in it . When and if you have to add twist , Always twist CCW while standing at the end of a limb ( doesn't matter which limb ) . Twist the string CCW tightens the serving and keeps it from separating . Mike
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Cibby

Post by Cibby »

Thanks for the advice I was not sure which way to twist the string. I did shoot today this afternoon and about a half hour before dark. My POI did not change so I'm set for opening day on Saturday in PA. Also ordered another string today so I would have a backup since I just put my spare on the Griz this morning.
strum

Post by strum »

Cibby wrote:Thanks for the advice I was not sure which way to twist the string. I did shoot today this afternoon and about a half hour before dark. My POI did not change so I'm set for opening day on Saturday in PA. Also ordered another string today so I would have a backup since I just put my spare on the Griz this morning.
Since its a new string it will creep down some so you should start with the higher B Height. If you put it back on the 1 1/2" then your where you started and when it creeps down youll still be ok but if your at the 1 1/8" then it may creep to far .
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Cibby

Post by Cibby »

strum wrote:
Cibby wrote:Thanks for the advice I was not sure which way to twist the string. I did shoot today this afternoon and about a half hour before dark. My POI did not change so I'm set for opening day on Saturday in PA. Also ordered another string today so I would have a backup since I just put my spare on the Griz this morning.
Since its a new string it will creep down some so you should start with the higher B Height. If you put it back on the 1 1/2" then your where you started and when it creeps down youll still be ok but if your at the 1 1/8" then it may creep to far .
Thanks for that advice I did as you suggested.