String Silencers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SummitSitter

String Silencers

Post by SummitSitter »

I am running a Danny Miller String Stop System on my Matrix 355 and see that Excalibur makes Air Brakes, Brake Pads and Dissipator Bar Kit. What accessories do you guys use and recommend to quiet down the crossbow? Do cat whiskers and other string attachments make a difference in noise reduction?
amythntr

Re: String Silencers

Post by amythntr »

SummitSitter wrote:I am running a Danny Miller String Stop System on my Matrix 355 and see that Excalibur makes Air Brakes, Brake Pads and Dissipator Bar Kit. What accessories do you guys use and recommend to quiet down the crossbow? Do cat whiskers and other string attachments make a difference in noise reduction?
... They do help... But I might suggest you take a look at the following:

Drstirrup.com

excellent accessories to silence your crossbow...

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Boo

Post by Boo »

Depending on how long your whiskers are, you'll lose 6 to 8 ft/sec with whiskers. Heavier arrows lower noise as well at a higher cost of speed. The limb silencers from Dr Stirrup work as well at practically no loss of speed.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Boo wrote:Depending on how long your whiskers are, you'll lose 6 to 8 ft/sec with whiskers. Heavier arrows lower noise as well at a higher cost of speed. The limb silencers from Dr Stirrup work as well at practically no loss of speed.
Is there data to substantiate this?
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

String Silencer's do help some but will slow you down slightly . It's a personal decision that each person has to make when setting up their outfit .
JMO
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

8ptbuk wrote:String Silencer's do help some but will slow you down slightly . It's a personal decision that each person has to make when setting up their outfit .
JMO
My question is weather, or not there is data to support the statement that the DrStirrup does not reduce speed. It is stated, is it supported with data?
timbikeride

Post by timbikeride »

Boo wrote:Depending on how long your whiskers are, you'll lose 6 to 8 ft/sec with whiskers. Heavier arrows lower noise as well at a higher cost of speed.
If I'm going to lose speed, I'd rather do by the heavier arrow method where I'll at least gain some arrow weight to help with kinetic energy versus string silencers where I gain nothing in turn for the slower speed.
Boo

Post by Boo »

xcaliber wrote:
Boo wrote:Depending on how long your whiskers are, you'll lose 6 to 8 ft/sec with whiskers. Heavier arrows lower noise as well at a higher cost of speed. The limb silencers from Dr Stirrup work as well at practically no loss of speed.
Yes, my testing with my chronos and other independent tests
http://www.crossbow-review.com/ReviewPa ... _page1.htm
Some people just like stepping on rakes
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Boo wrote:
xcaliber wrote:
So without looking at the data, how much is to be expected?
SummitSitter

Post by SummitSitter »

Boo wrote:
xcaliber wrote:
Boo...I sent you an email regarding having a string made. Please get back to me asap.

-Rob
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

xcaliber wrote:
8ptbuk wrote:String Silencer's do help some but will slow you down slightly . It's a personal decision that each person has to make when setting up their outfit .
JMO
My question is weather, or not there is data to support the statement that the DrStirrup does not reduce speed. It is stated, is it supported with data?

Dan...while at Boofest DrStirrup (Gaston) had a chrony and video camera set up. Before any changes were made to our bow (the installation of the stirrup kit; silencers and bumpers) we shot our bow through the chrony and that speed was recorded. After the complete kit was installed we again shot through the chrony. The comparison of speeds between the before and after was from 0 to 2 feet per second loss in speed.

....that is the data which supports the effect of the silencers installed.

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

amythntr wrote:
xcaliber wrote:
JMO

Dan...while at Boofest DrStirrup (Gaston) had a chrony and video camera set up. Before any changes were made to our bow (the installation of the stirrup kit; silencers and bumpers) we shot our bow through the chrony and that speed was recorded. After the complete kit was installed we again shot through the chrony. The comparison of speeds between the before and after was from 0 to 2 feet per second loss in speed.

....that is the data which supports the effect of the silencers installed.

Now that speaks volumes to the statement presented. Thanks Anthony!
canoe13

Post by canoe13 »

I use the Brake Pads on my 355. A definite drop in noise with no speed loss.
Mag Air
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Excalibur Quills
Tooth of the Arrow broadheads
Vixenmaster strings
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Ask Danny Miller what all he runs on his bows. You'll be surprised.
strum

Post by strum »

flightattendant100 wrote:Ask Danny Miller what all he runs on his bows. You'll be surprised.
I bet he goes naked :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16