FOC and arrow speed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Johnnytown

FOC and arrow speed

Post by Johnnytown »

New to site. What is FOC that I frequently see? Also, does anyone know actual arrow speed for Firebolt with Boltcutter BH's shot from Axiom? Thanks.
wabi

Re: FOC and arrow speed

Post by wabi »

FOC is a measurement of how far to the Front Of Center the balance point is on an arrow.
The idea is that a "nose heavy" arrow flies better.

I don't know about that arrow/broadhead combination, but with my Phoenix I chronographed it when it was new with a 350gr arrow & fastflight string and was getting the advertised speed. After that I just made up the arrows I wanted to hunt with (400gr) and went back to a dacron string. I've never had any problems with deer "jumping the string" at the ranges I shoot (almost all my kills have been under 20 yards). :lol:
wabi
galamb

Post by galamb »

My hunting buddy has an Axiom SMF.

He uses the factory firebolts and the 150 grain bolt cutters that came with it (not adventurous when it comes to his gear), but we fiddled with it a bit so I could show him what it was capable of.

With the factory dynaflight string we chrono'd his bow at 282 fps. (so this is exactly what you get with the factory set-up, as it comes)

So just to be exact, the arrow and broadhead combo comes in at 417 grains.

We did fire a few of my broadheads (100 grain) with his arrows. When the total weight was reduced to 367 grains the speed increased to 288 fps.

I then swapped out his string for a flemish (OEM Excal flemish) and with the same 367 grain set-up it clocked at 303 fps (5 feet from the "muzzle")

To get the advertised 305 fps you would need to go with a flemish string and total arrow/broadhead weight of 350 grains.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
Johnnytown

Post by Johnnytown »

Galamb - Thanks for the information. This is exactly what I was looking for.
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

Johnnytown wrote:New to site. What is FOC that I frequently see? Also, does anyone know actual arrow speed for Firebolt with Boltcutter BH's shot from Axiom? Thanks.

FOC could also be from NAP which stands for "freaking outrageous cut" it's a BH and it's freaking outrageous

Brian
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
Richieg150

Post by Richieg150 »

Johnnytown wrote:New to site. What is FOC that I frequently see? Also, does anyone know actual arrow speed for Firebolt with Boltcutter BH's shot from Axiom? Thanks.
My Axiom with the 20 inch Firebolt arrows with Lumenoks, Bolt Broadheads, and Flemish string.... chronoed 295 fps. consistently. My Tach Zone Scope had to be set to 305 fps. for the aimpoints to work out, its a focus ring and needs to be set so the aim points work out which may be + or - of what the fps. of the dial on the scope says.
Psalm 144:1-1 Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.
2 He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge, who subdues peoples under me
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Welcome aboard.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup: