Opening Day Literally Blew!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

StormDragon

Opening Day Literally Blew!

Post by StormDragon »

To cliff note my opening day....it was wet outside the blind and dry in it, it was windy outside the blind and calm in it.

The trees swayed and branches fell and the only critter I actually saw was a Squirrel that I'm still not sure whether it was running up the shooting lane towards my blind or tumbling.

Tom is another day, and it sounds like it will be a copy of today but I'm finally hunting!
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
TheBig1

Re: Opening Day Literally Blew!

Post by TheBig1 »

I wish I'd had seen a squirrel, it'd have been nice.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....first we were going, then we weren't, then we were, then we weren't...than we decided on going (all a result of an ever changing weather forecast)...

....we didn't venture into the woods till about 10:30...this was a new spot for me...the rain had slowed to an intermittent drizzle...I got lost and found myself walking around....my buddy Rick radioed me after about a half an hour saying he shot a doe (he thought) only to report back that he misjudged distance and shot under her belly...(at least he got to launch an Ignitor guided arrow out of his 335, which allowed for arrow retrieval)....

....later in the afternoon, I again couldn't find my spot...which was frustrating...I did ultimately find it and settled in...

....before the day came to an end we all saw deer, even though most were fleeting tails....and Rick got the pleasure of having a black bear sneak up to a couple of feet before he startled it and it took off....

.... all in all there was action on this rain swept, windy, raw day...a lot of trees had come down from last week....Day 1 of the regular season in Jersey is in the books!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

For me the alarm went off at 4:00am. My throat is raw and my head is throbbing like a spalding ball against the curb. I turned the shower on, stepped outside to see that we got. It was miserable,rain and wind were all fired up so I came back inside,crawled back into bed and this is where I remain .. with a nasty head cold... Love it!!! :( :( :( :(
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

:lol: All I can picture is a windblown squirrel helplessly cartwheeling across the field in front of your blind! :shock:

Hope tomorrow is a better day. Good luck. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

Saw 18 doe and 4 scub bucks. Cold and rainy but I was siting on the back porch
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

For my opening day here in NJ I was at work and working now and tomorrow night. I work Friday Saturday and Sunday nights. But come Monday evening I hope to be in my blind. Yeah baby its hunting season
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

For me gale force wind and from the east just were not going to work for me .
Stayed home and got some more tasks out of the way . That way when it is time to hunt .
Anthony the tails up going away . Is natures way of giving you the " Finger " . :lol:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Anthony the tails up going away . Is natures way of giving you the " Finger " . :lol:[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

....I guess I got the Italian finger, first one tail, than a whole fist full! :shock: :lol:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I skipped the morning to allow the rain to mostly pass. I got out about 12:30pm when it had slowed to a drizzle. In the woods it still seemed like it was raining all the way up until dark. And for all that, I was rewarded with seeing nothing but a few squirrels. I'll chalk that up as another reason I won't hunt in the rain again unless the rut is on.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

The wind has been blowing here in Wisconsin all week like crazy.
My friend shot a huge 8pt in 30mph winds. The deer was walking with the wind. I saw a 6pt last night in the soy beans at 60yds but he wasn't a shooter buck. Deer just aren't moving like normal in these winds.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

Sorry you boys on the east coast are git'n that bad weather. nothing like wanting to go hunting but can't! . . .if there's an upside when it lets up they will stir like crazy! . . just don't get hurt in the meantime.

-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I skipped yesterday as the weather forcast had high winds called fer. So last nite its says 5-6 mph winds, i got to my stand this mornin. Spent 3 hrs wid the the tree tops rockin n rollin, :( saw about 50 tree rats
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Our season opened the second weekend of Sept. Still am without a stock for my Matrix 355. Dang slow stockmaker for sure. :D Got a Scorpyd but really wanted to hunt with the matrix. I am determine to get my act together by the rut which is Nov. 4th 5th and 6th. That is the best but after that is OK to. patience, patience, and more of the same. :)
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

So yesterday I woke up early, checked the wind and weather and decided to go back to bed for a little while.

Well....woke up feeling like a stepped on dog turd between my head and stomach (damn bug) and spent most of the day having a lovely time being sick and miserable. So no hunting at all.

Woke up this morning feeling better for the most part but my kid caught it so i told her to stay home.

I was gonna go out later today since I took off work to go hunting but as luck with have it my stomach decided nope, not without possible consequences in the woods.

Yep....it's gonna be a strange season. Esp since now it's also gonna be in the 70 ' s this up coming week

At least I got to finally tweak my Ghillie Suit
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus