Carry options

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Michiganhunter

Re: Carry options

Post by Michiganhunter »

I use a Claw sling It works great. Just throw the sling over one shoulder and kick the butt of the bow back toward the opposite side of my body across my back. One limb points up behind my head and the other obviously points down to just below my belt. With the Claw sling the rubber pad prevents the sling from sliding off your shoulder and 90% of the bow stays safely tucked behind your body and unable to get caught on brush etc.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
MI Yeti

Post by MI Yeti »

Boo wrote:
Horizontal Hunter wrote:The one thing that I don't own is a sling. My crossbow, shotgun, and muzzle loader are always carried in my hands.

More than one deer has regretted that decision and come home with me because my weapon was in my hands and not on my shoulder.

Bob
I'm with Bob, I'd rather hunt to my spot and exposing my loaded arrow and cocked string to brush bugs me so if I'm not hunting to my spot, I'd rather carry it in my case that carries clothing etc as well. If I have to use a sling, it would be a neoprene sling.
I need both hands while dragging a deer and I don't want to hike back for my bow . The claw sling holds to my shoulder very well while dragging deer 1/2 mile or more . other wise my bow is in my hands much easier to get around that way . I can't get and atv though were I hunt ,or afford one :lol:
Exocet 165 2.5x32 Drop Zone scope
Vixenmaster and Danny miller strings
Gold tip laser II arrows ,Muzzy 235 broadheads
Bones

Post by Bones »

Started using the claw this year after a week of carrying my bow in the bush , it's by far the best sling i've owned.
Possum

Post by Possum »

This is a little different but it has always worked well for me. I carry my xbow cock and loaded patrol style I use a Game plan vertical bow sling. My xbow is hanging across my front side, doest bounce, doesnt slide around, doesnt make noise touch other equipment and doesn't get caught on brush. The sling is attached at the left side of the stirup and at the left side of the wrist on the stock. I hunt slowly to and from my stands or blinds and it keeps both hands free but my xbow is alway ready to be brought up at the ready. I wish I could figure out how to post a picture of this so that everyone could see exactly what I am trying to describe. While heading back to the house last week I came on a flock of turkey and was able to shoulder and make the shot. I will try to figure out how to post pictures. The sling detaches quietly, quickly and easily with two fingers.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Php 4:13
BULLZ-i

Post by BULLZ-i »

WHEN NEEDED

WHEN NOT

GO HAWKS!
Cody

Post by Cody »

Thanks everyone for the input. I found a claw crossbow sling on eBay for half price, so I'll give it a try. For those that have a claw, do you have the crossbow version that claims to have a quick release? The product descriptions and pictures, even on the manufacturers website, are pretty vague if the quick release refers to a unique piece of hardware that's separate from the quick release swivels.

Also, has anyone seen the crossbow caddy line of products?
Sooner44

Post by Sooner44 »

I use a standard leather rifle sling. I tried the back mount idea, that lasted about 2 minutes in dense brush. I guess if your lucky enough to walk in a cleared area to your stand, or ride an ATV, it really doesn't matter what you use.
Where I hunt, the area is very dense brush and thickets which seems to catch everything. When I get to my blind or stand, i pick all the brush, weeds and twigs from my bow, scope, limbs and elsewhere, then I'm ready to hunt.
I have to constantly weave my bow in and out of brush just to make it through to my stand and the standard sling works great for this.
I have never considered not using a sling, it's 2 miles in to my stand, and 2 miles out, and I usually ride a mountain bike or walk. Considering my M330 weighs in at 9 pounds, (5.1 on the label, yeah right) I really need the sling. So, depending on where you hunt will determine what sling you should look at. All three buddies I hunt with all use a standard sling.
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

I carry my crossbow patrol style. Made my own for about 4 bucks. Had hold down straps on hand. Got a hacksaw and cut off the buckle. Looped the end of the strap that held the buckle around my Tac Pac mount and took a buckle off an old rifle sling. Fastened it to the support between the grip and stock. When standing on stand its right there, just keep your hand on the grip. The bows weight is supported by the strap. You can easily raise the crossbow for a shot. When walking with a pack on your back you can carry the bow cocked and locked with an arrow loaded if that is your thing.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
NFH

Post by NFH »

BULLZ-i wrote:WHEN NEEDED

WHEN NOT

Details please! I like the looks of your setup. Did you buy or make the sling?
Micro 335 Nightmare
Vortex XBR
Trigger Tech 2 stage
Flemish strings
Doc Miller RBBBs
SSA Spynal Tapps
SlickTricks
Magnus Black Hornet Ser-Razor
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

I have been hand carrying mine but with all the other stuff I have to carry I decided to use a Sherpa Cart kit made for my Summit Viper Climbing Tree Stand. This way I can get my tree stand and my other equipment in the woods without killing myself. Getting too old to be a pack horse.

Generally I also haul in my Ground Blind in case I find a really good spot for it instead of the tree stand. Don't have suitable trees in many spots where I hunt so I want to be as portable as I can be. I can also use it to get my deer out.

I go into my hunt area before the season opens and clear a trail. I'll have to say though that you don't need to make a highway for the cart as it pulls pretty easily through the woods. Goes over logs pretty good to.

http://sherpahunting.com/summit_model.html
They make the kits for several different tree stands.

I'm not affiliated with the manufacture in any way.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
Heyu

Post by Heyu »

I'm new here. But not to slings. Love the claw. Best ever sling IMO
335(323fps.380gr)355(352fps.390gr)Munch mounts. Bolt glass.BEEs,GT396 swift pro.2"blazer. Slick tricks,Ramcats,Wac'em, Grim reapers. TTsingle. Boo, 8ptbuck, Deerboy, vixenmaster strings. Dalton wax. Dr stirrup kit.

Keep your nose into the wind.
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

ko4nrbs wrote:I have been hand carrying mine but with all the other stuff I have to carry I decided to use a Sherpa Cart kit made for my Summit Viper Climbing Tree Stand. This way I can get my tree stand and my other equipment in the woods without killing myself. Getting too old to be a pack horse.

Generally I also haul in my Ground Blind in case I find a really good spot for it instead of the tree stand. Don't have suitable trees in many spots where I hunt so I want to be as portable as I can be. I can also use it to get my deer out.

I go into my hunt area before the season opens and clear a trail. I'll have to say though that you don't need to make a highway for the cart as it pulls pretty easily through the woods. Goes over logs pretty good to.

http://sherpahunting.com/summit_model.html
They make the kits for several different tree stands.

I'm not affiliated with the manufacture in any way.

Bill
I was looking hard at these as well for the same reasons. As the season goes on I would appreciate it if you would do a review on it in a separate thread.

Thanks,

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
BULLZ-i

Post by BULLZ-i »

Details please! I like the looks of your setup. Did you buy or make the sling?

JUST A BUNGIE SLING THAT CAN BE BOUGHT REASONABLY ALMOST ANYWHERE SIR, QUICK DETACH TOO

http://www.amazon.com/AR-15-TACTICAL-AD ... ngie+sling
GO HAWKS!
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Horizontal Hunter wrote: As the season goes on I would appreciate it if you would do a review on it in a separate thread.

Thanks,

Bob
Will do!!

Some Amazon Reviews here:
http://www.amazon.com/Sherpa-Summit-Hun ... herpa+cart
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35