Carry options

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cody

Carry options

Post by Cody »

Hey folks, new to this board ... new to crossbows ... new to archery. I have lurked for a few weeks after joining the ranks of Team 355.

I bought a Lite Stuff package and received it two days before season open. I bought 125 field tips and broadheads, shot a chrono to get speed, and dialed in the scope. I intend on getting sound suppression and after market string/bolts in the future. Right now, just grateful to be in a tree earlier than thanksgiving.

My question ... how does everyone carry in their crossbow? I haven't purchased a sling yet. I would prefer a back mounted bow instead of a single shoulder sling. I had considered a single point, tactical style sling, but I doubt I will ever pull the trigger while on the move.
amythntr

Re: Carry options

Post by amythntr »

.....first of all Cody, a warm welcome to the forum...nice to have you aboard and having taken the time to introduce yourself and tell a little about your gear...

....I had purchased a Bohnning backpack which theoretically holds the crossbow similar to the backpacks which hold a rifle or shotgun...although the concept is great, the bow is just not held secure enough for me...

....I have settled in on a sling which works great, especially with the Micro 335...I also sometimes carry it by hand...

...I am also interested in what others do!

Anthony :)

PS: ...OBTW, if you have not yet purchased a stringer it is a vital piece of equipment to maintain proper brace height...my suggestion is to purchase the one that Danny Miller makes....
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Hey Cody, welcome aboard and to the Excalibur addiction...

On a long hike into my stand, I will tie down my Micro to my pack. I hunt from pre dawn till after sunset, so for me there is no chance of a shot on the walk in or out. I use a 3 day Condor type pack as my hunting pack and there are tons of Molle attachment points on the pack and I use 550 cord to attach the Micro to the back of my pack. Also there are packs designed specifically for the crossbow too but they do not offer larger storage for an all day hunt.. Check out the Ex-Pack right here on the Excalibur site.. I have one of these too and they are nice, but not enough storage for me for an all day sit..

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/catalo ... ow/ex-pack

On the short walks to the closer stands, I just carry it by the stock or sling it.
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Welcome aboard.
I usually carry mine over my shoulder while holding onto the limb.

Ron.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

BrotherRon wrote:Welcome aboard.
I usually carry mine over my shoulder while holding onto the limb.
I will sometimes carry mine this way too. Once in a while I will use a sling over my shoulder but usually I carry it holding it by the rail (uncocked), at my side with the limbs in a vertical position. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

The one thing that I don't own is a sling. My crossbow, shotgun, and muzzle loader are always carried in my hands.

More than one deer has regretted that decision and come home with me because my weapon was in my hands and not on my shoulder.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

Welcome to the forum. I carry my Equinox with a sling over one shoulder with one strap of my pack over the other shoulder. This is for short hikes into one of my tree stands. The sling is also used for off hand shooting by placing my hand through the space between the sling and CB and then back under the sling with my hand on the forward hand rest. This helps me to steady the shot somewhat. Good luck hunting.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

Good morning Mr. Cody and welcome aboard! . . .i got a uncle mikes mountain sling, but to be honest i hand carry mine being i'm a new 355 member to just don't want to hurt ma' baby! . . . its thick where i hunt and i find it easier to weave in and out the brush w/ my xbow in my hands. it's gonna feel awkward till you get YOUR system down :wink:
amythntr wrote: PS: ...OBTW, if you have not yet purchased a stringer it is a vital piece of equipment to maintain proper brace height
. . .sound wisdom

-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
Drew

Post by Drew »

I carry mine in using a Claw Contour sling. I love it, once its on your shoulder it just "sticks" and you are not constantly having to reset it. I highly recommend it.

http://www.quakeinc.com/Store-View.php?id=645
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum!! :D
Sling for me also. 8)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
galamb

Post by galamb »

Welcome aboard.

As far as how to carry, I think that depends on a large part on the type of terrain that you have to walk through to get to your stand.

I have a sling on mine for the few bits where I can use it, but because I have to walk through fairly dense bush, carrying by hand to get it around all the brush is the "must use" method for most of my walk in.

If I attempted to use a pack mounted system, it would simply hang up way too much to make it viable.

So match your carry method to your surroundings.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Drew wrote:I carry mine in using a Claw Contour sling. I love it, onand free ce its on your shoulder it just "sticks" and you are not constantly having to reset it. I highly recommend it.

Thanks for the heads up Drew, just ordered two off Amazon.. $22.99 each and free shipping. :mrgreen:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
MI Yeti

Post by MI Yeti »

Drew wrote:I carry mine in using a Claw Contour sling. I love it, once its on your shoulder it just "sticks" and you are not constantly having to reset it. I highly recommend it.

Yup best carry sling I have ever had . Definitely recommend them . They have good customer service too if something should happen to it .
Exocet 165 2.5x32 Drop Zone scope
Vixenmaster and Danny miller strings
Gold tip laser II arrows ,Muzzy 235 broadheads
Boo

Post by Boo »

Horizontal Hunter wrote:The one thing that I don't own is a sling. My crossbow, shotgun, and muzzle loader are always carried in my hands.

More than one deer has regretted that decision and come home with me because my weapon was in my hands and not on my shoulder.

Bob
I'm with Bob, I'd rather hunt to my spot and exposing my loaded arrow and cocked string to brush bugs me so if I'm not hunting to my spot, I'd rather carry it in my case that carries clothing etc as well. If I have to use a sling, it would be a neoprene sling.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

I see Cabelas has the Claw sling on sale depending on model for $17 to $26.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family