Poachers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

retrieverman

Poachers

Post by retrieverman »

I'm a pretty easy guy to get along with, but there are a few things that will make me want to hurt someone. Liars, thieves, anyone who would hurt a kid or woman, trespassers, and poachers had better steer clear of me.

I found evidence of a trespassing poacher on my place in Oklahoma, and I'm not happy.

My son and I were finalizing some things in preparation to get in the stand on Thursday, and we saw a group of buzzards. I jokingly told my son that it was probably one of the big bucks we'd been watching on game cameras, and I unfortunately was right.

We estimate the buck was a 3 year old and had been dead less than a week, and he had a lot of potential to be a monster in a couple years.
Last edited by retrieverman on Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No One

Re: Poachers

Post by No One »

Thats not the pic I saw when I posted a few minutes ago. I saw a doe and bow pic. What make you think it got shot? and not killed by natural predators. It still sucks either way.
Matrix 405 Mega ( Sledgehammer )
Black Eagle Executioners
125 gr Grim Reaper Razor Cut.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Looks like the hind quarters are missing.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

No One wrote:Thats not the pic I saw when I posted a few minutes ago. I saw a doe and bow pic. What make you think it got shot? and not killed by natural predators. It still sucks either way.
First off, I've seen the deer on game cam, and he appeared health. There would be much easier prey for a coyote than a big healthy buck, but I guess he could've gotten sick or hurt.
Secondly, there is still quite a bit of oilfield activity in the area, and I've heard reports from locals about some of them poaching deer. There is an oil well pad within 100 yards of where I found the carcass.

I'm making an assumption it was a poacher, but honestly, I hope I'm wrong. It would end badly if I were to catch someone on my place illegally.
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

Boo wrote:Looks like the hind quarters are missing.
The rest of the skeleton was about 20 yards away.
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Are you far from a road?

Maybe he was hit by a car and made his way back there before dying .

Poachers typically only headhunt. Why leave the head if poaching..

Sucks either way as he was a nice deer..

Doe he have any broken or damaged ribs?
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

That Sux.... Out here, if we found one like that and the head was still attached, we would most likely blame it on Wolves, cougar, or a bear ... but none of them clean rib bones that well without tearing the skelatal (sp ?) bones apart. your probably right in your assumption. :twisted:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
rayman

Post by rayman »

Is it bow season there? I find a lot of deer that people just made bad shots on that ran off not to be recovered. Find a lot during and just after bow season. Not necessarily poachers. On other hand I find a lot of big bucks close to county roads and off powerline and gas line right-of-ways where poachers shot them with rifles and they ran off.

A few years ago, behind my house I found a very young 8 pt that we had seen in back yard probably 30 times. Figure neighbors kid shot it with his bow and it ran back on my place and died a couple hundred yards behind the house. Sucked - yes, unethical - in my opinion yes, illegal - no.
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

No sign of his hind quarters or leg bones anywhere near him? Also his ribs look a little sun bleached as if he has been dead awhile too.
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
XcaliburFX

Post by XcaliburFX »

If that is what is happening, it definitely is bad business. Just be careful how you approach the area, don't become and accident. If you can get proof and identity,.... then prosecute the heck out of them.

**********Sorry this may be a long reply.**************

I also, consider myself to be an easy to get along with sort of guy. That being said, I will not tolerate someone poaching or hunting my stands in a club. Same difference to me, because if I put the money and time in to draw in good deer and you shoot it out of my stand or by my stand, then I consider you a poacher at the very least someone I will not get along with to put it nicely. JMO :evil:

However, yesterday in the rain I took my cousin with me to help finish up my late season food plot. Being in a club, I'll say this when I mark my two permanent stand locations, I mark a large area with ribbon. I do so because I do not want to be shot or shoot anyone else. Because no one knows just where a bullet or an arrow for that matter may end up in the woods.

Well I found evidence, (not just in my marked area but within15 yards of my stands) where someone who was warned last year not to be hunting my area, had been there again, and had even been watching the food plot area as it was coming up nice and green and full of deer tracks. That is both my locations, I have not got to hunt yet ... due health and injuries of late, but I paid a lot to have my two spots, not to mention what I paid for my larger plot and the mini plot at my honey hole.

So, yes I am a bit mad at the moment. If I catch the guys (2 last year) in my honey hole, it'd be like someone after my wife. And my friends, I promise you you do not want to go there, as the #3LL you will unleash may get you at the very least prosecuted .... the rest goes unsaid. :shock:

True Story, as close as I can remember it, and why I mark a wide area around me when I choose a hunting location.

10 years or so ago, two friends where bow hunting, it had started to rain and one got tired of the light rain and decided to head back to the truck. His friend still roughly 100 yards into the woods. In fact he passed by him on the way to the truck. Well while sitting in the truck, he saw a doe cross the road headed back in a direction that would cross the trail he had just came from.

Opportunity had knocked, and so did he as he knew it would cross the trail that he had not long came up about 30 yards from the truck. He eased out of the truck grabbed his bow and knocked an arrow. When the doe came across his trail he let loose the arrow, but he had mis-judged the distance and shot under the doe. No biggie right? Damaged tip etc., no wounded doe.

Well, darkness fell and still his friend had not come out, so he went to investigate. He found his friend sitting in his tree stand still, and yelled up to him ... with no reply. He could not reply because he was dead. The arrow he missed the doe with hit a large flat stone in the trail and ricocheted upward and some way found it's way through the trees and into his buddy 20ft up a tree.

I would wish this upon no one, and can't even begin to imagine what pain his friend has to live with daily. At least I know it would be daily with me. Sure it was an accident of improbable circumstances no one could have foreseen, but still it was his arrow that end his friends life. :(

Be safe out there folks.
Assassin 360 Strata
BEA Zombie Slayer - BEA Executioner
Boo/VixenMaster/Xcaliber/NCHunterKW Strings
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

GrassyKnoll wrote:Are you far from a road?

Maybe he was hit by a car and made his way back there before dying .

Poachers typically only headhunt. Why leave the head if poaching..

Sucks either way as he was a nice deer..

Doe he have any broken or damaged ribs?
My place is land locked and about two miles from the nearest major road, so getting hit by a vehicle is highly unlikely.
I didn't see any damaged ribs, but I just gave him a quick once over.
DeathMerchant

Post by DeathMerchant »

Oregon used to be one of the top states for trophy class mule deer as well as several other species like antelope, elk, rocky mountain sheep and white tail deer. Prior to the early 1980's when the Oregon population was around a mere 2.5 million only basic hunting licenses and individual specie tags were required. You could hunt anywhere in the state with these tags and families for decades had looked forward to these hunts. It was a time for youngsters. parents and grandparents to get together and enjoy the outdoors. Then something began changing as the population increased, game populations began decreasing and Oregon went to the tag system which requires entry into a lottery for a specific game unit with a limited number of tags. To make what could be a long story short, a lot of the decision to go to a limited access type of game management had to do with poaching. Lots of Oregon logging communities were hit hard during the eighties and nineties and a lot of people resorted to taking what they needed to feed their families. Couple that with limited law enforcement resources ( Oregon has no game wardens and enforcement is performed by a special division of the state police) and you have an ideal situation for poachers to do as they please. During off season scouting trips, I have personally seen deer and elk carcasses with back straps and hind quarters removed with racks intact in some cases but most were cows or does. In a tough economy, things will only get worse as far as poaching.
Matrix 380 Blackout
HHA Optimizer Speed Dial, Air Brakes, DR Kit, TriggerTech SS
Vixen II (Wifes)
Semper Fi