Matrix 330 broadhead question for newbie

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CopperBear

Matrix 330 broadhead question for newbie

Post by CopperBear »

So Im new to archery and have some questions in regards to broadheads. Im sure its been answered on other forums possibly, but my time is limited due to career field.

I just purchased a matrix 330 and some 125grain G5 Striker Magnum broadheads to put on the Diablo bolts. Excalibur recommends 350 grain and with the G5's it drops to 325grain.

1) Is this acceptable or should I buy the 150grain bolt cutters or something similar to bring me back to 350?

2) How will this affect performance if I use them? (I guess what happens if I use lighter vs heavier?)

Im trying to snag a good sized black bear here in GA that i have been tracking, and also deer hunting. I may end up moving back to Montana at some point as well, and forsee elk and moose in my sights amongst other game.

Any help from you folks would be great. Have a blessed day!

3) Any charts/graphs showing performance differences with broadhead weights
Hester0305

Re: Matrix 330 broadhead question for newbie

Post by Hester0305 »

Your G5 Mags will do just fine as long you can get them to group good for you. The G5's usually group pretty good they are plenty heavy enough for a black bear.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Your factory arrows use aluminum inserts which are lighter than the heavier brass inserts many of us use. You're still within the allowable weight recommendation with your 125 grain points. It's a matter of how they group so before hunting with them you should really test them up to and beyond the range you think you'll be shooting. They may be great or you may choose a heavier broadhead. The thing is you don't want to test it out on an animal.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
hunt2sleep

Post by hunt2sleep »

With 125 grain tips your Diablos weigh 375 grains, not 325. You're ok.
Phoenix
Matrix 380 Xtra
Exomax
Matrix G340
Klingons do not hunt because they need food. The hunt is a ritual that reminds us of where we come from. - Lieutenant Worf
Coon Gravy

Post by Coon Gravy »

http://excaliburcrossbow.org/phpBB2/vie ... 8a#p492454

Just to save you some time looking, this thread appears to have a nice list of the weights of the diablo arrow and add-ons to give a total grain weight plus the GPI of the shafts and some other useful info. I'm not sure it's 100% accurate but in simple terms you can range down to 100 grain broadheads even and still be right around the 350 grain arrow weight that is recommended.

Joe
Grizzly & 355
Keystone & Copenhagen
Go Big Red!