New Crossbow Owner / Grizzly Brace Height

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Scarecrow

New Crossbow Owner / Grizzly Brace Height

Post by Scarecrow »

Purchased a Grizzly this fall and can't wait to get out this weekend to use it in the field. It sighted in really easy and I now have broadheads (Slick Trick 150) shooting very accurately.

I have been stalking the forum for the last month and have read a lot of great advice on FOC, bolts, broadheads, strings, and brace height. Thank you everyone for all the great advice. A quick question....I have yet to find any documentation on the correct brace height for the Grizzly. I didn't see a mark until my string stretched and I now see one on the frame. It is set at 1.5", which is higher than anything I have seen for the Matrix line. Just curious if anyone knows why the Grizzly would be so different? With the brace height at 1.5" it is over a 1/4" from the REDS I have installed. I can still see that it is hitting it because of the marks on the rubber.

I have kept it at 1.5" and it shoots awesome!! Very happy with my first Excalibur!!
Micro 335 - Vixenmaster String, Diablo, Slick Trick 150
M380 - Hawke XB30 Pro, Vixenmaster String, Quill, VPA 150 / FOC
xcaliber

Re: New Crossbow Owner / Grizzly Brace Height

Post by xcaliber »

Welcome aboard, a gap of 1/4" is perfect.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Welcome to the Excal family!!! I too bought a Grizzly this fall and have learned an enormous amount of information on this site. Be careful though, you'll soon start upgrading everything and if you listen to some of these guys you'll end up with another Exal to compliment your collection. :lol:
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow »

LOL, I am already looking at different upgrades. I promised myself to get through one hunting season first, but you never know!! :)
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Scarecrow wrote:LOL, I am already looking at different upgrades. I promised myself to get through one hunting season first, but you never know!! :)
Good luck with that, let me know how that works out for you. In the two months or so that I've had mine I got a custom string from some of the amazing string makers on here, added tons of accessories such as REDS/Dr. Stirrup, Air Brakes, Brake Pads, ADF, and a Hawke XB30 Pro SR scope. Not to mention the extra cocking ropes, custom dozen of Spynal Tapp arrows, destringer (a must for anyone though), and a Danny Miller arrow puller.

Again, good luck with that philosophy.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
Dhanush

Post by Dhanush »

Hey all, I've been lurking here for a bit trying to learn about my newly purchased Grizzly. I had extensive shoulder surgery earlier this year and had the horrible realization about three weeks back I could not draw my bow back!
Long story short, got my Grizzly set up and shooting well. When it was new the brace height was close to 1 3/4 inches. After shooting it several times (well over 75) and leaving the bow cocked for several hours it now a hair over 1.5 inches.
Should I go ahead and adjust the brace height to 1 inch as suggested in the owners manual? The strings are barely making contact with REDDS rubber bumper now.
Lots of good will, encouragement and great advice on this forum! Thanks!
Going hunting for the first time this year this weekend! :)
Coon Gravy

Post by Coon Gravy »

Are you meaning that the string is barely making contact with the REDS bumpers now when the string follows through after you shoot? If that's the case I'm thinking you might have gotten the REDS for the larger Matrix models. I think they sell a set that are made specifically for the Micro/Grizzly/Cub and I assume they have longer rods to accommodate the longer brace height. I ordered a set on Amazon when I first got my Grizzly and between not knowing and being excited and in a hurry to get it ready for the season I bought the wrong ones. They are quite a bit too short for the crossbow. The Model #7008 (micro) is the correct one for the Grizz... the #7006 (Matrix Standard) don't work. If this is the case just hang onto them for later when you buy your next upgrade lol.

On the other hand if you're talking about your string touching your REDS when it is uncocked you should probably adjust the brace height or the REDS (if they aren't seated all the way) to make a 1/4-3/8" gap between the sting and REDS. Apparently if they make too much contact it can cause the string to dislodge form the limbs and can cause harm to you or the bow.

Sorry to OP but I thought this might apply to both. Then again maybe I'm the only bone head who ran out and bought the wrong stuff in haste.

Joe
Grizzly & 355
Keystone & Copenhagen
Go Big Red!
Dhanush

Post by Dhanush »

Thanks Joe. My local dealer sold me the model #7006. However based on the manual I think my brace height is .5 inch off at 1.5 inches.
Any idea of how many reverse twists to bring it down .5 inch or is it just trial and miss?
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

If it is the factory string and is too short.... let it stretch.
If you have bumpers (the right ones) there should be about 1/4" gap between string and bumpers when at rest. ( I keep mine at 3/16" on my M 330)
With the Dr Stirrup on my M 310 I keep about 1/16" gap so that I can tell what my brace height really is.
I'm not positive, but I believe the Grizzly has a swept back riser like my M 310 and requires shorter bumpers.

Ron.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Coon Gravy

Post by Coon Gravy »

I sure don't want to tell you wrong on any of this because I'm not expert for sure. I just got my Grizzly this summer too so I have had some of the same questions as you. Just from looking at the images online of the micro/grizzly/cub models vs the 330's and 355's it sure does look like the brace height is much wider for the Grizzly. Mine was set so the string rested on the indicator line when I received it in the mail and I didn't even realize it had a mark on the rail until the string stretched a bit with use. I'm just saying I'm not sure I would trust the manual to set it at 1" but maybe just try to keep it on or around the marking on the rail? That's what I am planning to do anyhow. And the REDS thing is a mess. Google some images of the Micro and look at how much longer those are than your #7006's. That also makes me feel better about the increased BH, that they made new REDS to accommodate that spread for the new models.

Joe
Grizzly & 355
Keystone & Copenhagen
Go Big Red!
Cibby

Post by Cibby »

I have a new Grizzly to and have asked brace height questions after changing strings. I've added nothing to mine yet except a Nikon Bolt scope mainly because mine did not come with the Vari Zone or Dead Zone scope just a plain scope that is very fuzzy when you look thru it. After a string change my brace height went from 1 1/2in to 1 1/4in I was told that was ok if I wanted to keep it there. I twisted the string to get it back to 1 1/2in because after shooting it a couple the string stretched.
Coon Gravy

Post by Coon Gravy »

Standard M#7006

Micro M#7008

Looks like 1/4-1/2 inch to me... lends to the 1.5" BH on the Grizz I think. Maybe they just didn't make that notation in the manual due to new product/human error?
Grizzly & 355
Keystone & Copenhagen
Go Big Red!
Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow »

I did purchase the REDS #7008 for the Grizzly. Even when they are extended to where the locking screw has just have enough to lock it completely down, it still is farther off the string than I anticipated based on other comments on the forum. That being said, the string is definitely hitting the rubber because it has left a mark across it. I am leaving the BH at 1.5 inches as marked on the frame because it is shooting so well.

Glad I am not the only one with all these questions!!! Love my Grizzly!!
Dhanush

Post by Dhanush »

Being a newbe and wanting to get things right (the correct brace height thing has been bugging me) I finally went ahead and called Excalibur customer service and asked specifically what the brace height should be for a Grizzly. As someone said the part # 7008 for the REDDs is correct for the Grizzly. Once these are installed adjust the string (Brace Height) to 3/8 in. from the rubber bumper.
He went on to say that if you don't have REDDs installed then 1.5 in. is OK. "You may lose a little speed but the xbow will be a little quieter."
If this has been said else where sorry for the repeat.
Happy hunting!
vpsaline

Post by vpsaline »

TheBig1 wrote: added tons of accessories such as REDS/Dr. Stirrup, Air Brakes, Brake Pads, ADF, and a Hawke XB30 Pro SR scope. Not to mention the extra cocking ropes, custom dozen of Spynal Tapp arrows, destringer (a must for anyone though), and a Danny Miller arrow puller.
You didn't like the Dead Zone? I got rid of the Varizone on my Mirco but I'm liking the Dead Zone so far on my Grizzly. Good chance I'm going to keep it.
Micro_335 - Nikon Bolt XR - 15.5'' Zombies - Killzone 100GR
Matrix G340 - Nikon Bolt XR - Muzzy 100GR