Start planning a elk hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kd8jgu

Start planning a elk hunt

Post by kd8jgu »

Have been invited to NW Colorado to do an elk hunt
It will be archery waiting to see what goes thru on crossbow regulations
Here is the deal My cousins husband has hunted his families property for over 30 years he has taken many elk but never with archery
The agreement is he calls one in for me and I then attempt to call one in for him

Alright what do I need to do to get ready for this hunt it will be next September before I go
Please help
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
flightattendant100

Re: Start planning a elk hunt

Post by flightattendant100 »

In Colorado you will need a Hunter Safety Cert.. Where will you stay? What altitudes? What month of the year? All these things help determine requirements of gear etc. Get in as good of shape as you can. If you live at 600-700 ft. above sea level here in Texas, at 9000 ft., you will suck wind! even if you are in good shape. Have Fun.
kd8jgu

Post by kd8jgu »

It is a family farm
The old farm house will be lodging
From what I understand is hiking is maybe 5 miles a day
I am waiting to find what clothing they recommend
It will be in September

Stock string
Quill

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
deerskinner

Post by deerskinner »

That would be my dream hunt! Hope everything comes together for you next year for you to go .Sounds like you are already pumped up to go after one! Ron :D
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

kd8jgu wrote:It is a family farm
The old farm house will be lodging
From what I understand is hiking is maybe 5 miles a day
I am waiting to find what clothing they recommend
It will be in September
What elevation are you hunting at? You may be in great condition but elevation will kill you. I would recommend biking and biking in hills.
Next get yourself some great bino's. Next buy yourself a good rangefinder. Lastly off hand I'd find some good hiking boots. Five miles of mountain hiking and your feet have to be happy. Lastly listen to every word your relation tells you about that hunt. Have fun and be safe.
kd8jgu

Post by kd8jgu »

I walk 7 miles a day know with 20lb pack guess it is time to increase on both
Going to look into good boots any suggestion from those that hunt in the hills

Stock string
Quill

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
dewy

Post by dewy »

I'm planning the same trip except for it will be in Wyoming next season. Check out Hunttalk forums and Elk101. They both have a wealth of info on them. Both of them have first timer guides, check lists etc....
You can spend days reading info on boots and pack. You can go cheap or spend few dollars on boots. I chose to spend a few since they can make or break a trip. I ended up getting the Cabelas Meindle boot. I tried some of the Kentreks but didn't like the fit of them.

Best of luck to you. I've never been and am looking forward to the experience.

Dewy
Micro 335
15" BEE's
125gr Shwackers
luckymike

Post by luckymike »

light weight good fitting boots are a must.going up and down mtns is a lot different than flat landing it.if they don't fit you'll get blisters.break em in good.nothing more thrilling than being face to face with an enraged bull elk!practice shooting while sqatting and kneeling.get those muscles in shape because sometimes you get caught in that position and it turns into a waiting game
matrix 355,330
slicktrick 125
black eagle executioners
vixenmaster strings
nikon bolt
triggertech
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

X2 on the good boots. Walking that much you better have good ones.
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

kd8jgu wrote:I walk 7 miles a day know with 20lb pack guess it is time to increase on both
Going to look into good boots any suggestion from those that hunt in the hills
I wear Danner lace to toe boots, gore tex only :wink: take the insole out and throw it. get some dr. scholls insoles w/ arch and gel heel inserts and slip in there. try to get an open tread pattern cause if it rains colorado's got that gumbo mud and it will not come off them boots!

walking 7 mi will get you tone and get your movement freed up but you need cardio start out 5-10-15-20-then 30. wear your pack and get your tax dollars back by walking up and down the bleachers at your local high school. you're not going to outlast or out do anyone but you'll recover more quickly so it's like out doing everyone.

if you're on BP meds that's good in the fact that they dilate your veins and arteries= more O2 :wink: but if you're on heart meds for other reasons might need to get a stress test (not to scare you) the min. you hit that high altitude your body is like
"where's the oxygen?" your heart will start beating faster trying to find it . . .kinda like a 24-7 cardio. i lost 12 pounds in seven days, but i didn't keep it off :lol:

And really good rain gear, no military poncho, some good quiet stuff. remember w/ your gear . . .ounces=pounds=pain :wink:

i live at round 800' ASL which is a joke compared to the lovely country out west. i was excited as you are bout my first hunt out west . . .wish we lived close i'd help/work out with ya.

-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

kd8jgu wrote:It will be in September
It is already October... are you planning for next year?
Should be plenty of time to get in shape. :lol:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

The best glass you can afford ! I use Leupold gold ring 8x42 and a 25x compact Leupold spotting scope :P but there is a vast amount of good optics available ....This allows you to check out a area that may not actually hold elk without having to go down one side of huge canyon and up the other only to find no sign nor elk. :roll:

Good boots as you are discussing. :wink: and layer your clothing so you can add or remove as temps dictate.
A great pack or day pack is necessary in most areas as your usually pretty far from the truck or trail head.

I prefer a Badlands Diablo with a drinking water bladder and I can still carry my X-bow with a sling from my shoulder, ( large, metal pack frames make carring a bow on your shoulder with a sling impossible in my opinion and usually are only need to carry large heavy loads out of the woods ) but there are several good smaller ones out there. A small but complete first aid kit and plenty of para cord and good meat bags... get that meat up off the ground and cooling as soon as possible. Sharp knives, a folding meat saw, and a good flash light or two. The small elastic band head light is excellent as it frees your hands while cleaning out that huge animal. A space blanket is also a great idea, they are smaller than your wallet and as light as a feather but can keep you warm if needed.

Get a good call and start practicing... If you wear "dental appliances" that cover or partially cover the roof of your mouth diaphram calls may not work ... Primos has good ones with external reeds or diaphrams for both cow and bull calls .

A " Hoochi Momma" call works good and is not a mouth call.. I don't leave home without it... Do not "Over-do it with the calls" as you'll be bringing in more hunters than elk. :lol:
Remember, too much calling can have a negative effect and actually drive elk out of the area... be careful and don't sound like the biggest bull in the mountains. Satalite bulls don't respond if they think there gonna get their butts kicked :lol: A herd bull will move his cows away if you sound bigger and a real threat to him and the herd he's protecting.

Most important of all is a big, strong, young hunting partner ( 2 is even better) who will jump in and help you handle and carry out that elk if needed. If hunting in Sept. it's still HOT...expect to hunt slopes with more shade.

Elk, unlike deer, prefer meadows and grass to brouse that deer prefer. A good "small muddy area" in an isolated meadow is a " great find " as bulls will wallow in it, both in preperation of the rut and to drink and cool off...

Listen to your relative and do as he suggests while hunting that area he's very familiar with... A good emergency kit with a good working GPS can save your life and help you re-locate a Bull or cow you may have down in the woods... Don't forget the best Pack frame you can find with welded connections and para cord and good quality game bags. This will be necessary if carring that much weight very far.

Good Luck your gonna have FUN along with a little pain. :D

Send PM with questions if you like and I'll try and help.

Gene :wink:
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

L. E. Carroll wrote:The best glass you can afford ! I use Leupold gold ring 8x42 and a 25x compact Leupold spotting scope :P but there is a vast amount of good optics available ....This allows you to check out a area that may not actually hold elk without having to go down one side of huge canyon and up the other only to find no sign nor elk. :roll:

Good boots as you are discussing. :wink: and layer your clothing so you can add or remove as temps dictate.
A great pack or day pack is necessary in most areas as your usually pretty far from the truck or trail head.

I prefer a Badlands Diablo with a drinking water bladder and I can still carry my X-bow with a sling from my shoulder, ( large, metal pack frames make carring a bow on your shoulder with a sling impossible in my opinion and usually are only need to carry large heavy loads out of the woods ) but there are several good smaller ones out there. A small but complete first aid kit and plenty of para cord and good meat bags... get that meat up off the ground and cooling as soon as possible. Sharp knives, a folding meat saw, and a good flash light or two. The small elastic band head light is excellent as it frees your hands while cleaning out that huge animal. A space blanket is also a great idea, they are smaller than your wallet and as light as a feather but can keep you warm if needed.

Get a good call and start practicing... If you wear "dental appliances" that cover or partially cover the roof of your mouth diaphram calls may not work ... Primos has good ones with external reeds or diaphrams for both cow and bull calls .

A " Hoochi Momma" call works good and is not a mouth call.. I don't leave home without it... Do not "Over-do it with the calls" as you'll be bringing in more hunters than elk. :lol:
Remember, too much calling can have a negative effect and actually drive elk out of the area... be careful and don't sound like the biggest bull in the mountains. Satalite bulls don't respond if they think there gonna get their butts kicked :lol: A herd bull will move his cows away if you sound bigger and a real threat to him and the herd he's protecting.

Most important of all is a big, strong, young hunting partner ( 2 is even better) who will jump in and help you handle and carry out that elk if needed. If hunting in Sept. it's still HOT...expect to hunt slopes with more shade.

Elk, unlike deer, prefer meadows and grass to brouse that deer prefer. A good "small muddy area" in an isolated meadow is a " great find " as bulls will wallow in it, both in preperation of the rut and to drink and cool off...

Listen to your relative and do as he suggests while hunting that area he's very familiar with... A good emergency kit with a good working GPS can save your life and help you re-locate a Bull or cow you may have down in the woods... Don't forget the best Pack frame you can find with welded connections and para cord and good quality game bags. This will be necessary if carring that much weight very far.

Good Luck your gonna have FUN along with a little pain. :D

Send PM with questions if you like and I'll try and help.

Gene :wink:

Sound advice! . . . .just look at his avatar! :wink:
-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

I've done 7 hunts in NW Colorado - drop camps and took 7 elk. All the above is good advice. You'll have two speeds out there -Slow and stop depending on the altitude you're hunting. All the elk I shot were less than 200 yard except 1 that was 385. Closest 2 were 15 and 20 yards with a 300 win mag. Being in shape lets you recover quicker at higher altitudes. LOL you'll be sucking air. Have a good trip.
woodmnctry

Post by woodmnctry »

Ya might want to check the CO regs re using a horizontal shaft slinger during archery season -- only handicap individuals are allowed --
You can use a crossbow during rifle season but no scope as I recall