Matrix 380 Broadhead Troubles

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fellas2

Matrix 380 Broadhead Troubles

Post by fellas2 »

I sighted in my Matrix 380 with 125 grain field points after mounting my new HHA Optimizer and it's dead nuts on at both 20 and 60 yards. I tried the same bolts with 125 grain Exodus and Mussy 4 Blade and the Exodus shoot 6 " low and 3" to the right at 60 yards and the Muzzy's shoot at least 12" high and 8" to the right.
Everything on the scope and mounts are tight and i'm at a loss on the next step.
jd4223

Re: Matrix 380 Broadhead Troubles

Post by jd4223 »

Sight in using the broadheads.See what broadhead shoots the best for the maximum distance you plan to take game at.Field points and broadheads normally never shoot at the same point of impact,especially the farther distance you shoot.Field points are just used to get your broadheads in the center of the target and from there fine tune your scope to the broadhead you choose to hunt with.When I finally sight my scope in using broadheads,I never go back to using field points.I target shoot using the broadheads I intend to hunt with.
Buddyshort

Post by Buddyshort »

Muzzys have never flown same as my field points for me. Sight in with broadheads is my advice
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Try 125 grain Spitfires (mechanical). These fly closer to the point of impact of my field points than any other broadhead I have tried from my 380.

Good Luck!
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Try some G5 Strikers- 3 blade, fly great out of my 380 out to 90 yards.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Its already been said here. Start at 10 yds wid yer fixed BH but not a bunch of diff ones. Sight-in wid only n ck yer yardage from 10 out to yer comfort zone
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

Hunt it wrote:Try some G5 Strikers- 3 blade, fly great out of my 380 out to 90 yards.
X2
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

What is your arrow recipe? ie. What arrow, insert, vane, and fletching jig are you using?

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
fellas2

Post by fellas2 »

I've tried both factory Diablos and Black Eagle Executioners with the original blazer vanes and inserts. Nocks are factory and ignitor lighted ones. All the combos shoot lime poop !
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

fellas2 wrote:I've tried both factory Diablos and Black Eagle Executioners with the original blazer vanes and inserts. Nocks are factory and ignitor lighted ones. All the combos shoot lime poop !
There's your issue. Factory arrows and pre made executioners are fletched with an offset, not helical. Further, factory arrows have an aluminum insert, not heavier brass. I'm not sure what you've got on your executioners. I can tell you i found a HUGE difference between offset vs helical with fixed broadheads. I can also tell you the QAD Exodus Broadheads are one of the most accurate broadheads I've ever tested. I'm assuming, of course, that you've spin tested your arrows to make sure everything is square. I noticed quite a change as I extended my range going from plastic nocks to Luminoks. The extra 20 grains on the back end is enough to make a noticeable difference.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I have 2 380's, both shoot right with my field points using Slick Trick Standards, G5 Strikers, and Magnus Black Hornets,,,, and both will shoot inside a 1" bull at 50 yards using those broadheads. I am shooting Spynal Tapps and Zombie's in my bows, but they are spine indexed. I found the Executioners not as good in the 380 and in my Micro, I use an offset and fletch my own, plus I shoot over 435 grains in both the 380's. good luck.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
fellas2

Post by fellas2 »

What drives me crazy id my Micro 335 shoots both Quills and BE Executions loaded with the Exodus like missiles with no problems at all. I got one more head to try them i'm gonna take bolt to the local shop and get them refletched and maybe brass inserts. I've owned an Exomag and Exomax and both would shoot one holers at 20 YARDS.
SEW

Post by SEW »

paulaboutform wrote:
fellas2 wrote:I've tried both factory Diablos and Black Eagle Executioners with the original blazer vanes and inserts. Nocks are factory and ignitor lighted ones. All the combos shoot lime poop !
There's your issue. Factory arrows and pre made executioners are fletched with an offset, not helical. Further, factory arrows have an aluminum insert, not heavier brass. I'm not sure what you've got on your executioners. I can tell you i found a HUGE difference between offset vs helical with fixed broadheads. I can also tell you the QAD Exodus Broadheads are one of the most accurate broadheads I've ever tested. I'm assuming, of course, that you've spin tested your arrows to make sure everything is square. I noticed quite a change as I extended my range going from plastic nocks to Luminoks. The extra 20 grains on the back end is enough to make a noticeable difference.

Paul
Arrow balance is critical to good arrow flight. With fixed heads, you need at least 190g total point weight, and if much weight(lighted nocks, AL Nocks)or drag(helical) at the nock end 210gs or more is needed. Fixed heads generally do better with helical. I expect your Foc is far too low. With crossbow arrows, AL inserts will require 170g or more Broadhead weight; and if you have helical and or lighted Nocks, you'll likely just have to go to brass inserts.
As Paul stated, you likely have way too light of an insert/broadhead weight.
Good luck.
Steve
fellas2

Post by fellas2 »

Thanks for the help guys, gonna make a visit to the local shop today and make some changes.