New Grizzly owner

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sparkey

New Grizzly owner

Post by Sparkey »

Hi everyone,

My new Matrix Grizzly will be here on Monday! This is my first crossbow and it has been over 16 years since I stopped bow hunting with my old Golden Eagle Evolution. As I sit here getting excited about my purchase, I started to wonder what kind of accessories I should get.

Are the stock arrows "good enough" or should I look at others and what are some good broad heads to consider. Also, would the ADF and stringer options be a smart purchase ?

I can hardly wait to get my hands on my new "toy". Now to figure out how to allocate my time to hunt deer and also take my Brittany grouse hunting each weekend. Damn work gets in the way.

Mark
Parker Challenger
Gen-1 Micro 335 Camo
Matrix Cub
Bear Legion Compound
nchunterkw

Re: New Grizzly owner

Post by nchunterkw »

Mark,
Welcome to the Forum and the Excal family. You made a great purchase. Everything that comes with the bow is plenty good enough for hunting and many never upgrade a thing. But like with anything else you can upgrade if you wish. But the stringing aid is an absolute necessity so you can change strings and adjust brace height. As for work, if you just find a job that pays $1 million an hour, you can just work a few hours and then retire. Problem solved. :lol:

Keith
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Welcome aboard fellow cheese head. :)

As Keith said, your Grizzly comes ready to hunt and upgrades are not needed... other than broad heads and a stringing aid.
If you didn't get a string aid, give Danny Miller a call. 740-483-2312
Also order an extra string from him if you didn't get one.

Ron.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
SEC-ond 2 none

Post by SEC-ond 2 none »

Welcome to the forum. There is an abundance of knowledge here from some great people. Go back 3 or 4 years and begin reading post from than up to now. A lot will be learned by doing that.
X 2 on what Keith said. Your bow is ready.
The amount of upgrades is almost unlimited, depending on $$$ to spend on Custom Flemish strings, scopes, triggers, Arrows/Brass insert/broadhead combinations, custom wood stock, string bumpers, ADF, etc., etc. :)
Good Luck in your Quest and keep your thumb below the rail while shooting any crossbow.

Happy Trails
Stephen
Matrix 380
Coon Gravy

Post by Coon Gravy »

Welcome and congrats on your Grizzly! I have been nothing but happy with mine and they are a pleasure to shoot. Sounds like you've got all the experience to know which roads to head down first. I thought I might save you some time hunting down info so here are a few tidbits I remember from my searches.

-Diablo 18" stock arrows = 10.5gpi total weight less head approx. 252g

-The brace height on your new Grizzly will be around 1.5" out of the box and that seems to be the correct/recommended BH for this crossbow. There is an indicator line on the rail that you may not notice until the bow is broken in some and the stock string is stretched. This is contradicted by the manual.

-Cocking aid is a must have accessory item.

- If you order accessories I would recommend consulting with the forum geniuses, Danny Miller, or both before you do. Mr. Miller is apparently notorious for straight shooting and letting you know if you DONT need to spend money and the rest of the guys here will blow your mind with stuff on a regular basis. Also, the Grizzly is still new so verify that your accessories are compatible with it before you buy. Some things from the larger Matrix line bows fit it, other things are from the Micro series it seems.

Best of luck and have a good season!

~Joe
Grizzly & 355
Keystone & Copenhagen
Go Big Red!
Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow »

Welcome to the forum and Grizzly family. I too have recently purchased a Grizzly and love it. Shoots awesome. I will be using the Diablo arrows this year to hunt and mess around with upgrades over the winter. Will be in the woods a lot over the next 6 weeks and it is already dead on. I am using the Slick Trick 150s to compensate for the lighter aluminum inserts. Welcome aboard and good luck with your Grizzly.
Micro 335 - Vixenmaster String, Diablo, Slick Trick 150
M380 - Hawke XB30 Pro, Vixenmaster String, Quill, VPA 150 / FOC
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Sparkey wrote:Hi everyone,

My new Matrix Grizzly will be here on Monday! This is my first crossbow and it has been over 16 years since I stopped bow hunting with my old Golden Eagle Evolution. As I sit here getting excited about my purchase, I started to wonder what kind of accessories I should get.

Are the stock arrows "good enough" or should I look at others and what are some good broad heads to consider. Also, would the ADF and stringer options be a smart purchase ?

I can hardly wait to get my hands on my new "toy". Now to figure out how to allocate my time to hunt deer and also take my Brittany grouse hunting each weekend. Damn work gets in the way.

Mark
...hey Mark, congratulations on your new Grizzley...we know that you are just going to be ecstatic...since we all are family here, you are looking for what to purchase in the way of accessories and you will probably just be overwhelmed when after you put it togather.....

....the welcome committee would like to take any undue pressure you might experience off of you......sooooooo:

....just post your credit card information here and we all will be sending you all of the accessories you might ever need....you will feel like it's Christmas in October...that is, until the CC bill comes in! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the forum...I'm sure a lot of people will be chiming in and provide assistance in what you should pick up!

Anthony :mrgreen:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

Thanks everyone for the warm greets. This weekend is going to drag on forever, I think. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do on here to glean as much info as I can from the site. In some twisted way, I guess it is good that the xbow wont arrive till Monday night. Oh crap, I have to bowl Monday night :evil: Good things come to those who wait, right :?: :x

======

Keith - Will definitely pickup the stringing aid as my first purchase.

Ron - From what I am reading, looks like Dan is the man for everything Excal. Oh and of course Go Pack Go :lol:

Stephen - Will definitely watch my digits. I saw a post on here of someone who tried to skin his thumb....Not pretty.... :shock:

Joe - Thanks for the arrow and brace info. I know down the road it will come in handy when I try different combo's. Should be able to use the chrono for my rifles to check speeds.

Scarecrow, I will look into the Slick Trick 150's. Used to use Muzzy's when I bow hunted. I always shied away from mechanical's. More often than not simpler = better.

Anthony - If I did what you suggest, "and it would be fun indeed getting tons of stuff" I would be scared to death my wife would make the first kill with the new bow after she saw the credit card bill! :twisted:

Mark
Parker Challenger
Gen-1 Micro 335 Camo
Matrix Cub
Bear Legion Compound
vpsaline

Post by vpsaline »

Consider yourself lucky. I paid for a Grizzly 3 weeks ago and my local store still hasnt received shipment yet from excal. Seems that they cant build them fast enough??? :cry: :cry: :cry:
Micro_335 - Nikon Bolt XR - 15.5'' Zombies - Killzone 100GR
Matrix G340 - Nikon Bolt XR - Muzzy 100GR
Cibby

Post by Cibby »

Nice I am sure you'll like the Grizzly. Got mine past July and I had a few things to learn to feel really comfortable with it. I did not add anything to mine as of yet did get a stringing aid and 2 extra strings. One thing get some good serving wax and keep the center serving waxed. I shot mine a lot the first 2 or 3 weeks and center serving started to wear fast. I bought Excalibur serving wax and used some good string wax I've had for the string. Before deer season I changed my string and put my other new string on also for a day so it would be ready if I need to make a quick field change. The Griz shoots great really happy with it and you will be to. I watched a couple videos on how to change the string(easy) and maintenance which again with Excal very simple. Good Luck!
nananaja003

Post by nananaja003 »

wabi

Post by wabi »

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new Grizzly!!!!!!!!!!!
wabi
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I'm sure youl'll love your Grizzly as many praise it very highly ....and welcome to the forum.

Early on in your post you mentioned the possible addition of ADF.... Some may tell you it's not necessary on your lower draw weight models. :roll: I, on the other hand, believe of erring on the side of caution to protect myself, my investment, and those around me who could be injured should I have a limb catastrophy due to a dry fire...

The ADF and a set of Danny Millers baby bumpers are great insurance especially if you get them from Danny, as he seems to have the best prices.(Search Horizontal Archery )

BTW, the baby bumpers may also help quiet your bow while helping reduce viberation.

All of my present and future Excals. are or will be set up this way.

Gene :wink:
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier