Treestands !!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grizzly72

Treestands !!!

Post by grizzly72 »

Thought I would start a topic on treestands, I currently have a treelounge that I love. it is a bit heavy but I can mainly use a quad to get it close to where I will be hunting. I really like it because I am 6:4 and 290lbs and I feel really safe at 20 feet high. I also like the main feature of being able to fall asleep in it which happens just about every time I get in it.
I wouldn't mind picking up another climber that is lighter when I do some walk in hunts. It must be comfy and really sturdy.. Seems like all my research leads me to 2 brands that people like, The Summit and Lone wolf.. What do you guys use and like the best??
xbowrook

Re: Treestands !!!

Post by xbowrook »

well I used to mainly use hang on stands but that has changed.. my boy hunts with me now so I am going to be transitioning to 2 man ladder stands, something big and safe for both of us to be in.. if I get a chance to get out on my own, I have a climber as well, not sure what brand it is, I bought it used.. I may upgrade in the near future and get a better, more comfortable one, just to make those longer sits more enjoyable.. I usually also put my Primos Double Wide Double Bull out so we have a spot to sit if it gets really windy or rainy... I like to have about 4-6 stands/blinds set up just so I can change it up when needed...
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
Normous

Post by Normous »

I have been hunting yearly using my Summit Bullet Viper climber which is the Viper folding model no longer made. To be honest I have no complaints about the function comfort and weight (to back pack in).

I am also 6'4" but not as heavy and I'm very comfortable up there in the Viper. For a heavier guy look at the Goliath and Titan models. One accessory that Summit carry's that will benefit a taller guy is the Summit Footrest Kit (about $35). This allows a much better leg extension and I put a big value on this item.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

I like my Summit Viper, no problems so far. I had a Tree Lounge, that thing was too comfortable. Had a hard time staying awake to hunt. It was a nice stand other than the bulkiness and it was a little noisy to set up (bolting it up). The Summit - not so much so. I can pack it in without much trouble and it is relatively quiet setting it up and climbing. I can sit for extended periods without too much fatigue and it has not slipped on me yet. :shock:
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Hey Griz, where are you from in PA?

I have a ground blind for the kids as well as a Summit Viper. I used to have the Tree Lounger, kinda mad at myself for selling it. It was heavy but it was the most comfortable stand I'd ever been in. That's actually one of the reasons it had to go. There wasn't a single time that I didn't fall asleep in it.

Next year I want to get 2-3 hang-on's and 2 person ladders for the kids. They actually have 2 person hang-on's also that I've seen.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
JB'STAXIDERMY

Post by JB'STAXIDERMY »

I have used summits for awhile ....plus they are built 30 min from the house..... i use the sd viper it weighs 18 lbs and is very comfortable i have also used their open shot that weighs 15lbs and loved it for vertical bow hunting. .. the lone wolfs are 100$ more than the summits but everyone i know that uses them says u will never use anything else after u use one i just cant justify the 100$ extra when my summits have never let me down and i love how they climb and sit i can stay in a tree all day and ill climb as high as i need to sometimes 30ft....summit makes one for bigger guys its called a goliath and a friend of mine who is 6'5 , 300lb says its roomy and comfortanle for him.......
Equinox
Hawke xb30 pro
Boo Trigger job
Firebolts
Slick Tricks
Vixenmaster string
grizzly72

Post by grizzly72 »

Yea nothing better that a good nap while waiting on a buck.. lol ..
Eck

Post by Eck »

I've got a "vintage" (US made!) API Grand Slam Magnum that is comfortable, and not too heavy. The "Magnum" seemed to be a little quieter than the standard. Sometimes you can pick them up cheap at yard sales, etc.
Last edited by Eck on Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micro 335
Matrix 380
Boofest 2016 Matrix 330
Trigger Techs all around
125 gr. QAD Exodus (Micro) 100 gr Slicks otherwise
Strings by Vixenmaster
Arrows by Xcaliber
Coon Gravy

Post by Coon Gravy »

Crazy Horse wrote:...has not slipped on me yet. :shock:
Do you feel safe in these? I'm glad you posted this thread grizzly because I've been on the fence about getting a climber. I doubt I grab one any time soon but man they look awesome. Pack it in and set it up and hunt. I think my favorite thought is being able to shift yourself around/up/down the tree if you don't get the look you want. Seems pretty versatile while not committing you to one spot all season.
Grizzly & 355
Keystone & Copenhagen
Go Big Red!
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

I also use a Summit Viper and have found it to be an excellent climbing tree stand. It is very comfortable. I have sat in it for many hours comfortably. As far as safety mine has never slipped on me and I have no fear in using it.

As with any of the climbing tree stands they can be an issue to pack in if you have any back or other medical problems. I am 64 years old and in pretty good health but wouldn't want to pack mine over a mile or so at the most. The other issue is all the other equipment I have to pack in with the stand, i.e. fall arrest device, body harness/tree lanyard, deer calls, food, water, coveralls, etc.

There are other options for carrying the stands. Just browse the web for hunting carts, etc. I chose a kit that can be used to turn my climbing tee stand into a temporary cart. It works great.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
grizzly72

Post by grizzly72 »

well you guys have a good weekend hunting. I am leaving now and going to camp to hunt tomorrow. Thanks for all the great ideas and comments.
lswoody

Post by lswoody »

Take a look at the API stands too.
Proverbs 3:5-6
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

I like my viper !!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
bigredopie

Post by bigredopie »

I have a tree lounge and I love it for those all day hunts as the comfort is hard to beat. It is not the easiest to carry in though.

For climbing I have been the most impressed with my tree walker climber. It is by far the most secure and fastest climbing system I have run into. The downside is that the climber bites into the trees, which is why it feels so secure, so it may not go over well with the conservation folks on public lands.
380 Matrix, Vortex, Y25, Exomag and Brown Vixen
Boo Strings & Big John Arrows to hit 'em
DaGriz Knife and Hatchet Set to Skin 'em
Drew

Post by Drew »

I love my Millenium M150. Most comfortable tree stand iv ever been in. Super quiet too no creaks at all.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads