Lighted Nocks or Not?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

timbikeride

Re: Lighted Nocks or Not?

Post by timbikeride »

I'd think that unless you put it on all your arrows, your practice arrows might shoot to a different point of aim with the FOC and overall weight being different.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

This is my first year with them and so far my thoughts are mixed. I shot one deer with one, 30 yds from the ground clean pass through - arrow gone. Even looked at night. The second deer I shot at - I hit a small twig which sent my arrow into a tree - musta been sideways because all I found was the BH and insert. Yep - knocked it clean out.

The lighted nocks definitely helped me see the shot - a clean kill and a clean miss - but I'm 2 for 2 in losing them. I don't like the cost, but I think how it helps you see the hit is a big plus.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

xcaliber wrote:I have had more than a few folks ask about lighted nocks. I don't use them, and don't sponsor them. I will tell why I don't, and expect some backlash from those that do use them. But I ask why, so if you comment, support your position please.
1. There is no guaranty that they will light!
2. If the shot is off the mark, you cannot steer them with the lighted nock!
3. If the battery is dead, you will probably not find your arrow.
4. If you did see a bad shot, you are not excused from looking for your game.
5. They are expensive for something that offers me nothing.
6. You have to practice with them, or same tail weight arrows, or what's the point?

So, the question is what do afternoon hunters prefer?
I use reflective wraps, or just a small band at the end of my arrows. Why?
1. They are fool proof.
2. No batteries.
3. Don't need to steer my arrow after I pull the trigger. :wink:
4. Changes nothing on how I approach the after shot.
5. Inexpensive.
6. No real major change in arrow dynamic.

Again, not looking for an argument, just some justification from users. :wink:

[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... x.jpg.html]Image

[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... x.jpg.html]Image
You said for evening hunts,,,,, turn the lights of on your flash and in the room and take that picture again the way those arrows would be flying thru the air.. the tape does nothing, I will never lose another 30 dollar+ arrow and broadhead. Try finding that tape 30 or more yards behind the deer, in this situation,,,
that was last year under 4 to 6 inches of snow,,, it's now Paid for, and after 3 years and still working this year I added 3 more and would never use anything but Firenock!! If you can see it why use any tape, even under corn stubble where its undetectable in daylight, go back after dark and you will see the glow buried under the stubble or even in a crp field halfin the dirt under heavy foliage,,, and if you call this steering problems I'll take em all day long, this is 60 yards and will constantly stay inside that 1" black center or right at the edge, this is two different fixed broadheads sighted in for the one on the right Black Hornets, the one on the left is a slick trick and shoots 2 clicks higher with the Rangemaster Pro scope.
You get what you pay for,, firenocks work, in all categories,,,, :wink:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

First time I shot a Luminoc Arrow,it cost me a deer.I had a semi dry fire because the arrow fletching did not sit completely flat on the rail,which caused the flat nock not to be dead center with the string.I checked the other vanes on the other 2 arrows and found that the vanes were just a hair higher when resting on the rail which would have caused another semi dry fire.I could have shaved the vanes but chose to give my buddy the last 2 arrows after warning him to make sure the arrows were lying flat on the riser and the nock was dead center with the string.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

jd4223 wrote:First time I shot a Luminoc Arrow,it cost me a deer.I had a semi dry fire because the arrow fletching did not sit completely flat on the rail,which caused the flat nock not to be dead center with the string.I checked the other vanes on the other 2 arrows and found that the vanes were just a hair higher when resting on the rail which would have caused another semi dry fire.I could have shaved the vanes but chose to give my buddy the last 2 arrows after warning him to make sure the arrows were lying flat on the riser and the nock was dead center with the string.
This has nothing to do with the nock, your either using to tall a vane or not oriented in the rail properly, but any nock is going to cause problems with your setup!! :?
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

For myself I prefer unlighted nocks. I hunt swamps and usually up a tree so it matters little if the nock is lighted because the arrow might end up two feet below the surface. Lot of money down the drain. Some may not agree but that's why they have options, to please everyone. :D
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

timbikeride wrote:I'd think that unless you put it on all your arrows, your practice arrows might shoot to a different point of aim with the FOC and overall weight being different.
I took the advice of another member here and weighed the lumenocks against a flat nock, then took a flat nock to the hardware store along with my scale and found a set screw to fit into the flat nocks so they would be the same weight.
After a few dabs of gel super glue on the end of the set screw I inserted them into the nocks and they weigh the same as the lumenocks.
I now have 4 practice arrows and 4 lumenock equipped hunting arrows that weigh 450.4 grains with the 125 grain tips on them. :wink:

Ron.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Arrows are expendable, i don't use any lighted nock. I am not here to say yes or no as its a personal choice. This is what i will say, when i squeeze the trigger i knowed i hit the tick toter. If'en i didn't then i have no place bein out there huntin as i wasn't ready! Should you be there ? :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

vixenmaster wrote:Arrows are expendable, i don't use any lighted nock. I am not here to say yes or no as its a personal choice. This is what i will say, when i squeeze the trigger i knowed i hit the tick toter. If'en i didn't then i have no place bein out there huntin as i wasn't ready! Should you be there ? :)
I agree Mike, but I am a poor boy, I can't afford to lose 30 to 40 dollars every time I trip that trigger,,,,, :wink:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

vixenmaster wrote:Arrows are expendable, i don't use any lighted nock. I am not here to say yes or no as its a personal choice. This is what i will say, when i squeeze the trigger i knowed i hit the tick toter. If'en i didn't then i have no place bein out there huntin as i wasn't ready! Should you be there ? :)
I like the idea of being able to find my arrow easier :wink:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
No One

Post by No One »

To me its sounds crazy to have a 26 dollar arrow. How I came this number is ;

I payed 75 dollar a doze which equals 6.25 a arrow with out tip

I payed 30 dollar for 3 Broadheads the equals 10.0 added to the 6.25 now where at 16.25 a arrow

Lumnock add at 10 dollars a peice make it a 26.25 dollar arrow. :(
Matrix 405 Mega ( Sledgehammer )
Black Eagle Executioners
125 gr Grim Reaper Razor Cut.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Hey guys i shot 2 deer n found both arrows, one in a tree its ruined so wouldn't have mattered. 2nd hangin out of the deers shoulder blade by the vanes, washed it up n put anudder BH on it. $30-$40 per arrow dang thats abit steep, compared to my $15 one's :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Illuminated nicks make a night and day difference when you are running video on a hunt, they show up well during playback. Other than that, I see no need.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

they help me find the arrow to confirm my shot before I contact my trackers who have the great eyesight and mobility that I do not have so they can take up the blood trail for me

I have seen very little if any effect on arrow flight with the added tail weight at the ranges that I hunt(35 yards)
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
SummitSitter

Post by SummitSitter »

For you guys using Lumenoks...do you use Lumenoks on your hunting bolts and plastic nocks on your practice bolts?