Lighted Nocks or Not?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

XcaliburFX

Re: Lighted Nocks or Not?

Post by XcaliburFX »

I have never tried them, just seem to expensive for me, so I just depend on a great shot and luck in finding my arrow. They do look cool in the videos though, and have probably helped many a hunter find their arrows and game.

To each his own. :)
Assassin 360 Strata
BEA Zombie Slayer - BEA Executioner
Boo/VixenMaster/Xcaliber/NCHunterKW Strings
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Dang it, been readin 3 pgs of this stuff ! Now its about to cost me money to see whats wid this lighted nock thing. So what brand is the lightest in weight ? Which is wid-in reason to turn off ?
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Drew

Post by Drew »

Lumenok for ZS's is 28gr. The reviews of lighted nocks I've read have the lumenok typically as the brightest. I don't get all fancy I just use my multi-tool long nose pliers to turn them out abut 1/16". I've never had one fail and I save the old ones for spacing during fletching (gives a 7/8" offset) and for practice.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

vixenmaster wrote:Dang it, been readin 3 pgs of this stuff ! Now its about to cost me money to see whats wid this lighted nock thing. So what brand is the lightest in weight ? Which is wid-in reason to turn off ?

....Lightest in weight would be the Lumenoks at 28g, (never on sale $27.99 for )
http://www.lumenok.com/

....Easiest to turn off the Nu-Fletch Ignitors 39g
https://nufletch.com/product/ignitors-crossbow/ (on sale $20 for 3)

....both are extremely reliable...I use both....

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

I like them enough that I want one on every arra that I shoot. Each time I place an Amazon order I throw in a pack. @ $30 US for 3, free shipping, no tax.

It aint nothing but money! lol. I've spent a lot more on a lot worse! :D
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

52 years never using a lighted nock.I hunt pa wilds where laural is over your head..With pressure on bucks today you are only seeing them at very early in dark of mornings and just before dark UNLESS its rut..So things have changed and having a lighted nock is PLUS to finding the buck and seeing arrow hit buck and where it hit..Then find your arrow too and pick up blood trail..I only use 1 lighted nock and only try it on 1 arrow and just before hunting buck season I sight bow in with just that arrow..I practice with regular nocks and I see very little if any poi anyhow..I usually only need 1 arrow to kill buck and my shots are 30 yds and under ALWAYS,old school recurve hunter here if I cannot get good shot at 30 buck walks and I have had a LOT walk over those 52 years and as I get older many times I hope I do not kill a buck more fun to enjoy seeing a big buck and woods,air and feeling good.......
rattlerun

Post by rattlerun »

Not trying to start an argument, but Nu-Fletch Ignitors are no way easier than Firenocks to turn off. Just drop them on their end and they are off. Little pricey, but worth it.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

rattlerun wrote:Not trying to start an argument, but Nu-Fletch Ignitors are no way easier than Firenocks to turn off. Just drop them on their end and they are off. Little pricey, but worth it.
....I am going to check them out again at the PA show on Saturday...I am happy with the Ignitors and Lumenoks (and have a good stock of both) but I find these interesting if not else...I find the engineer owner a character!

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
CarlV

Post by CarlV »

Here's a reason to use them I haven't read about in this thread;

When hunting in the snow my arrow will almost always pass through deer and bury under the snow. Most times I can't see it right away and don't want to go digging around trying to find it. I come back (or stay) when it's dark and just look for the glowing spot in the snow. Works great even when buried over a foot deep.
If I can't modify it ... it isn't worth owning
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

CarlV wrote:Here's a reason to use them I haven't read about in this thread;

When hunting in the snow my arrow will almost always pass through deer and bury under the snow. Most times I can't see it right away and don't want to go digging around trying to find it. I come back (or stay) when it's dark and just look for the glowing spot in the snow. Works great even when buried over a foot deep.
....but maybe the Ignitors and Lumenoks would do the same :wink:

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

Not much more I can add,,I use the Lumenocks on my crossbow arrows and Nocturnals on my vertical bow arrows and never have had a problem with them,,
the Pro's far out weigh the con's. in my book especially when recovering an arrow. Plus they are COOL! 8) ,,and adds more enjoyment to my outdoor archery adventures :D
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

vixenmaster wrote:Dang it, been readin 3 pgs of this stuff ! Now its about to cost me money to see whats wid this lighted nock thing. So what brand is the lightest in weight ? Which is wid-in reason to turn off ?
Go getya some Mike,,you'll get numerous recommendations,,but Lumenoks are the way to go.
Check out their web page and the others and decide for yourself :wink:
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Big John put some in some arrows he made for my kid, in normal hunting conditions they are pretty cool, but worth their weight in gold when running video, as mentioned.
I don't use them, but my son does, and they are pretty impressive, especially when done in slow motion.
What else is cool, got to 3 pages without someone demanding they get banned because of the advantage.
The arc of an arrow equipped with a lit nock at dawn is a beautiful sight to behold.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Lumenoks all the way.... Nothing better for a last light shot....
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I never used them in my Exomax and still don't. I did use Lumenocks this year in my Micro for two shots. On a 40 yard shot at ground level I was able to see my arrow after it passed through heading on down through the woods to parts unknown. I've searched on multiple occasions and even sat until almost dark and never found it. It probably snaked under some leaves and the nock may have extinguished on impact with something as well.

On the other shot the Lumenock extinguished when it buried my broadhead in a stump after the pass through.

It does make it easier to see that arrow in flight, but so far it has not aided in me recovering a single arrow. It makes losing an arrow quite pricey.

Since I'm not getting them on film, I'm not totally sold on the added cost. I'm personally thinking reflective wraps may be in my future. Post here or PM me if you can point me in the direction of the good stuff.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol: