Lighted Nocks or Not?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Lighted Nocks or Not?

Post by xcaliber »

I have had more than a few folks ask about lighted nocks. I don't use them, and don't sponsor them. I will tell why I don't, and expect some backlash from those that do use them. But I ask why, so if you comment, support your position please.
1. There is no guaranty that they will light!
2. If the shot is off the mark, you cannot steer them with the lighted nock!
3. If the battery is dead, you will probably not find your arrow.
4. If you did see a bad shot, you are not excused from looking for your game.
5. They are expensive for something that offers me nothing.
6. You have to practice with them, or same tail weight arrows, or what's the point?

So, the question is what do afternoon hunters prefer?
I use reflective wraps, or just a small band at the end of my arrows. Why?
1. They are fool proof.
2. No batteries.
3. Don't need to steer my arrow after I pull the trigger. :wink:
4. Changes nothing on how I approach the after shot.
5. Inexpensive.
6. No real major change in arrow dynamic.

Again, not looking for an argument, just some justification from users. :wink:

[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... x.jpg.html]Image

[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... x.jpg.html]Image
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
one shot scott

Re: Lighted Nocks or Not?

Post by one shot scott »

The main reason I use them: Great video footage.

The second reason: Was in stand one evening. Freezing rain, didn't notice a slight build up of ice on rail/string arrow. Buck came in at 30Y and I took the shot. POI was off, did not get pass thru. Luminok bounded away in the night and I tracked it thru 3 different set of woods. Yes, the refelective tape will do the same thing but with the aid of a light. That buck bedded and I watched him lay. Came back in the morning for him.

3rd reason. I hunt field edges. with the cast iron war pig arrows I shoot the arrow is almost always buried nock deep into the ground. A reflective nock of sorts may help but a wrap wont

fwiw also had it where the nock doesn't illuminate, or it extinguished when it ground. It aint fool proof but for the $ its cheap fun. I typically get a few years out of them.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

I've watched many videos of deer hits using lighted nocks and can see where it that application they are very useful. My issue with most of them is the high price for them. I have a small fortune invested in deer hunting already and never seem to have everything I think I need.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

a single luminok is $12 I think? that's all ya need. I have done it that way before and once used, clean them up and reuse. The newer ones as far as I know have replaceable batteries so that's even a bigger advantage.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

ko4nrbs wrote:I've watched many videos of deer hits using lighted nocks and can see where it that application they are very useful. My issue with most of them is the high price for them. I have a small fortune invested in deer hunting already and never seem to have everything I think I need.

Bill
I get that, but if the light does not come on, does the hunt not get published? I think the shot takes on a life of it's own, and if the aim is true, and the equipment is right, it is a done deal.
Some great counter points, keep bringing them folks! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Livtahunt

Post by Livtahunt »

Without lumenoks I have lost 3 arrows, with 0.
An extra $11 an arrow is not a big deal to me.
In he dark I can find a lumenok in seconds.
Videos are cooler. Arrows look cooler.

Have not had one not work at this point but it could happen. My limbs could also break, my broahead could fail, and my safety hareness could break but I still use all those things.
Exomax, Equinox, Matrix 380 and now a Scorpyd Aculeus
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

we be "poor" here in the ozarks :lol:, i don't think i can (i won't) swing the extra for lights. i hunt private, got plenty of time to find my arra out in the woods. The reflecting stuff (not the wraps) behind the vanes look bright in yer pic (very good option).

but for the fellers hunting public land it could help in fast recovery. if i had dem lights on my arras i'd be skeered i'd pull my head out of the scope to see where it went, loosing shooting form = bad hits (Thanks Paul, :wink:). to each his own like strings, broadheads or excaliburs . . . or lights :wink:

-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
Richieg150

Post by Richieg150 »

WHY I use Lumenoks ? Last year, shot two different doe, in some thick tall grass. Bolts went thru both, into the grass. Does didn't go more that 20 yards... I looked for both those bolts 4 or 5 different times, borrowed a metal detector... never did find them. I shot them from my tree stand and know the trajectory +- and couldn't find them. Couple weeks ago, shot a doe out of my tree stand, bolt went thru her into the thick grass.... AGAIN. I looked and looked and couldn't find it, I have orange reflective tape on the ends of the bolt and a Lumenok. I still couldn't see the tape OR Lumenok due to the grass and sun. Came back at dusk TADA..... there was my Lumenok, I could see it shining down in the thick grass, THATS why I have Lumenoks. I also have made a couple of videos shooting my Axiom and you can really see the flight path of the bolt with the Lumenoks, especially at dusk.
Psalm 144:1-1 Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.
2 He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge, who subdues peoples under me
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I also had a long list of reasons why I didn't need or want Lumenoks. Then I tried them and I sure do like them.
No it doesn't make my shot better or more accurate, but it does make it much easier for me to see the arrow as it flies and to find it afterwards. I use the reflective tail wraps along with lumenoks.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Three reasons for me to use them.

1. Shows up great on camera to video a hunt.
2. It looks so cool to see that lighted nock (through your scope Ken :wink: ) zip through the vitals of the critter you're shooting at. It can't steer the shot but it's great confirmation.
3. They do make finding arrows much easier.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

your 6 reasons are for you to justify not useing them which is ok i have tried the tape thing lighted nocks just plain help follow arrow flight and find the arrow
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

they rob your speed and if you practice often the arrow should seem like its coming out of your eye to the target..not a guessing game..they are cool to watch I just like the most speed I can get from a crossbow or vertical bow
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

Two main reasons I switched to lighted nocks was 1) seeing where the shot hit- watching the arrow zip out and seeing where it hit helps you tell if something went screwy alot faster then not. 2) makes arrow retrieval easier- I hunt from a ground blind and twice after a pass through the only thing I saw was a small part of the nock buried under the leaves (and this was only after it started getting dark).
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

My eyes aren't what they used to be, so I am giving them a try this year. I recently ordered 8 arrows from South Shore, 3 with lumenocks and 5 without. When they arrived I had 4 of each so instead of 9.95 they cost me 7.46 each. I called Dave and offered to pay for the extra one but he said thanks for telling me but don't worry about paying for it.
My reasons for trying this year.
1. I figure it might help me track the flight of my arrow through my scope.
2. Hoping I don't have to search for 20 minutes to find my arrows on a pass through.
3. I want to see if it looks like Christmas in the woods when I go back after dark to find my arrow under a foot of snow in the late season. :lol:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I've never had a luminock not light up, and the deer I shot this year passed through both lungs and went deep into the ground with only about 1.5" sticking out, I would never had found it without the lighted nock. I luv em.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone