Equinox

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dmini

Equinox

Post by dmini »

Question for all the guru's. I am the proud owner of a Matrix 330 and love it, been thinking about buying a back up, just for the heck of it. Would a 2014 Equinox be a good purchase or should I stick with the Matrix series of crossbows. New to the crossbow scene, just looking for opinions from those who have shot both. Thanks.
L. E. Carroll

Re: Equinox

Post by L. E. Carroll »

IMO, there isn't a thing in the world wrong with a longer limbed Excalibur as either a primary or back-up hunting bow... Those older style bows are the ones Excalibur built their reputation on. :wink:

I actually have an Axiom SMF as a back-up to my 355 when hunting....

I have found it to be a much better "daily shooter" in my case, as I love the lower draw weight and what I precieve as smoothness, while still being fast enough and providing more accouracy than I'm capable of using fully. :roll: It allows longer and easier shooting periods, and I'm truley pleased with it. :wink:

For the $ I willingly put into it up-grading the scope to a Nikon Bolt, adding ADF, S-5's, a cheek rest and Custom flemish hi-pro string.
I could easily have bought another matrix for the same or less. It still would not have out-shot this long limber. :wink:

Gene
Last edited by L. E. Carroll on Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Exo series Excals are the Tuff ones tried n true
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Pull the trigger...you won't regret it. :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Sooner44

Post by Sooner44 »

If money was no object, I would use the same thought process you used in deciding to buy the M330. For Hunting you will appreciate the compact size compared to the longer limb bows. Additionally, spare parts, if you bought another M330 all spare parts will fit either bow. I have never owned longer limb Excal, but I'm sure you couldn't go wrong getting it.
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I have a 310 and a 330 from the matrix line and like them both. I had a vixen for a short time but sold it to someone that needed one for his wife. Eventually I will pick up either a phoenix or an exocet for a long limbed one :)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Equinox is a great choice.
Little extra speed to boot.
Do you know the purchase price and if there are add on's included.

CC
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

X2 to what Gene an Mike said to ye in the 1-st 2 posts. Nothing against the new shorter limb bows- But I myself went back to the longer limb exo-series myself as smoother an shot better for me- But again what ever works the best for you is all that matters in the end... :D
JB'STAXIDERMY

Post by JB'STAXIDERMY »

Look on ebay pine mountain archery had excalibur make an exclusive run of equinox for them that is the same excalibur quality but a cheaper price and this is what i purchased. The rail isnt camo it only comes with 3 bolts instead of 4 the quiver is green and not camo thats the differences besides the price and its covered under excaliburs warranty .... if u bid on one u are looking at 500$ u.s or u can buy it now for 550$ u.s good luck and u want be dissapointed in an equinox ...
Equinox
Hawke xb30 pro
Boo Trigger job
Firebolts
Slick Tricks
Vixenmaster string
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

vixenmaster wrote:Exo series Excals are the Tuff ones tried n true
A few years ago it was the BEAST! Many large game animals have been taken with the old models, and there were very few problems as mentioned. Yep, you need about 3" per side more room in the stand, or blind, but you probably will only notice that on very few occasions. The price has come down considerably as well, and if it is a backup, you sure don't want to have it be more of an investment than your main banger! :wink:
There are days when I miss the ole Vortex, let me tell you, sweet on serving, and my old limbs too! :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Livtahunt

Post by Livtahunt »

My Equinox was much more fun to play around with than my 380. Just hated the overall size.
Exomax, Equinox, Matrix 380 and now a Scorpyd Aculeus
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I have both and love them both. You certainly won't go wrong with an Equinox. Check the trading post regularly as they do come up and you might happen across agreat deal.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

IMO, the Equinox is an excellent CB that will last a lifetime. Accurate, rugged and a great hunting weapon.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)