Cold weather bow issues?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GROOTSKY

Cold weather bow issues?

Post by GROOTSKY »

First year with crossbow, I plan on doing a lot of late season mule deer hunting. Are there any issues I should be aware of when sitting in my stand in sub freezing temperatures? Thanks
one shot scott

Re: Cold weather bow issues?

Post by one shot scott »

nope. The only issue ive ever had was with freezing rain
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Normous

Post by Normous »

Pydpiper wrote: I would leave my Exocet cocked for weeks sometimes. Cocked it, layed the hose to it, then put it in the freezer for a few days too.
If your are hunting during wet and freezing weather I suggest covering part of your bow to prevent heavy moisture for getting into the trigger mechanism which can make your trigger inoperable.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Welcome to the forum. It would be helpful if you finished filling out your profile so we know where you are. Anyway, to answer your question, I was hunting in -31 degrees C last year in Alberta with no issues. It was dry though and I was in a blind...no freezing rain of course, too cold. Lol.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
GROOTSKY

Post by GROOTSKY »

Thanks, November around here is usually around -10 C or so. There will be snow but no freezing rain. I was concerned about the affect of cold on the limbs good to hear I have nothing to worry about.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

GROOTSKY wrote:Thanks, November around here is usually around -10 C or so. There will be snow but no freezing rain. I was concerned about the affect of cold on the limbs good to hear I have nothing to worry about.
Wow, Smithers! That's some hunting country you're in alright....and fishing....and real weather! :shock: :lol: Good to have another B.C. boy on here. :D

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

paulaboutform wrote:Welcome to the forum. It would be helpful if you finished filling out your profile so we know where you are. Anyway, to answer your question, I was hunting in -31 degrees C last year in Alberta with no issues. It was dry though and I was in a blind...no freezing rain of course, too cold. Lol.

Paul
-31 degrees C :shock: :shock: :shock:
And you canucks think us rednecks are crazy!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

From one more BC boy to another, Welcome! :D
Hank
GROOTSKY

Post by GROOTSKY »

Thanks guys, rifle season ends here Nov 31 and then there is a 20 day bow only season, just a matter of dealing with old man winter.
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

I hunted Cats out of Grand Forks BC one of many hunts and redneck vacations just hanging out with my families dearest friends the Brandows . I just kept my trigger mechanism dry. everyday was light snow and in the 20's . We treed 8 cougars in 7 days. most fun I ever had with my clothes on :lol:
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Only issue, is covering your eyes as the string clears the rail of ice when you pull the trigger.
I take care of my triggers, some can't be replaced, but as far as cold, you bow does NOT know the difference. I have hunting toys I treasure, I also have some I beat up so bad I have nothing left for them but respect. My 10 year old Exocet, hate to see what is in that trigger assembly, dirt, twigs, old boots and perhaps small Volkswagen parts. It got smoother by the day.
Again, I have things I take care of, but very different than the things I count on. There is no weather that will change your bow, shoot it with confidence.
Unless you have a small limb bow, they seem to self destruct regardless of what you are doing.
Seems I have dryfired some of my bows with less damage than some guys are getting out of proper care.
The only issue I have found with deep colds, is the ice shrapnel as the string clears a path when I shoot, an icey mist of winter when the arrow leaves the deck, I happen to love that too.
My theory is, if I cant grind it in to the ground with my foot, on a cold day and it not do what it was made to do, it isn't for my kind of hunting, or worthy of a place in my gunroom.
My Excaliburs have seen hell, and work like the day I bought them.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
fergie

Post by fergie »

only issue I've had with an Excalibur in cold weather was one day I was hunting with either an exomag or max, can't remember, it was snowing heavy and I went into camp with a bunch of snow on my bow for a bit and came back outside with it after the snow melted but bow was still wet....... well for the life of me I couldn't cock the bow at all, water on the limbs had frozen...... the limbs were so stiff I couldn't get it back even near the trigger assembly....... brought back in camp next to the wood stove for a while and all was fine, I could cock it after sitting for a bit. it was frigin' cold that day between x-mas and new years........
matrix 380 blackout "Reaper", nchunterkw flemish string, triggertech single stage, matrix munch mount, Rhinehart Block, 18" zombie slayers c/o big john
fully dressed in drstirrup is the "reaper"