Budget Scent Controll

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

No One

Budget Scent Controll

Post by No One »

What do you do for scent control??

Too stay on subject I not interested in scent lock suit way too expensive. I am interested in what I and others can do for 30 dollars or less.

Here is what I do so far;

Bought the Hs kit containing bar of soap, soap for clothes, bar of deodorant, and field spray. I also use baking soda in my clothes bags, boots, and socks.

Is there anything else I can do that is cheap?
Matrix 405 Mega ( Sledgehammer )
Black Eagle Executioners
125 gr Grim Reaper Razor Cut.
TheBig1

Re: Budget Scent Controll

Post by TheBig1 »

About $20 for 5 gallons of spray. Don't worry about the hand written stuff on the side, just use the basic recipe. I recently added some fresh earth concentrate to mine and it came out awesome. You can get sweet pine, sweet corn, acorn, etc...

=http://s844.photobucket.com/user/cstric ... d.jpg.html]Image
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Ivory Unscented soap works great for showering, Baking Soda in the washer for clothes, and also a bit in the dryer. Get a dress sock, you know, the kind most guys have under all their favorite socks! :lol: Put some baking soda inside it, after it is washed with your hunting clothes. Let it tumble in the dryer the last 10 minutes or so while hunting clothes are drying. I also use the HS scent wafers in Earth scent while stand hunting, a 3 pack lasts all season, $8. I hang them from a piece of thread, or dental floss, unscented about 2' under my climber. Deer Dander from Fitzgerald is a great cover scent, but Lowes Buck Butter for $9 is a deer bedding scent, and calms deer like magic. I do not hunt without it!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
No One

Post by No One »

Great tips keep them coming i am sure there are other first time hunter looking for the same thing. :D
Black Eagle Executioners
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

the home recipe above works. but it always clogs the spray bottle and leaves a haze on everything.

wind is free.
fratri

Post by fratri »

Sorry, but I don't think any amount of scent blocker works, you are best to save your money and play the wind.
You will never be able to mask your scent against a deer's nose.
"Everthing is easy when you know how"
"Food is not grown in stores"
Fratri
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

fratri wrote:Sorry, but I don't think any amount of scent blocker works, you are best to save your money and play the wind.
You will never be able to mask your scent against a deer's nose.
X2. Hunt with the wind in your face.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

bobcat wrote:the home recipe above works. but it always clogs the spray bottle and leaves a haze on everything.

wind is free.
I have not had that experience as of yet with it clogging the sprayer. I bought an "industrial" spray bottle from Lowe's and it just keeps flowing.

I also agree with playing the wind, but as I hunt in the mountains, deer can come from any direction at any time so I've at least got to try. And when I can make a homemade recipe for about $20 for 5 gallons, it's the best way to go. You just have to make sure that when you put the baking soda in, you whisk the heck out of it so that it dissolves as much as possible. Maybe that's what has been clogging spray bottles.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

There is no substitute for the wind.
I use a product called "Sport wash", from wallmart. Not just because it is absolutly scent free, but it is also good for waterproof material, like most hunting clothes, it will not fade colors either.
Usually found in the sporting goods section.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
kd8jgu

Post by kd8jgu »

We setup a thermacell
had an old pair of stinky socks
put socks at bottom of tree thermacell set at 8ft
turned it on had deer walk past tree
they never noticed the socks
don't know but seems to work for scent cover
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

I was skeptical at first but now smoke all my clothes with dry leaves. I've had bucks walk with 10 feet of me and the Ground Blind and never paid it no mind.
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
XcaliburFX

Post by XcaliburFX »

If you are willing to spend a small amount for something that will last for years at a time try this, .... I use HS scent wafers in Earth scent (mainly) and Pine scent when I can find it. I put all my hunting clothing in a large zip lock bag with the wafers and leave them year round, except to wash if necessary, and return them to the bag after each hunt. The Earth scent is the strongest and your family will won't you out of the house quick once you put the clothes on (you will smell strong), but they work. And best of all, with a good sealed bag, they will last for a few years or more. Every so often I will place them back in there containers for a night or two and then throw them back into the bag, some how this seems to give them more scent back.

And for a free scent, I just grab a hand full of fresh pine needles from a nearby by tree. Twist them and break them up really good till the needles are really smelling, then rub them all over my clothes. The small amount of sap that comes out of them actually works well. I even sometimes even leave some in my jacket or shirt pocket ... either freshen up your sleeves etc or just to be there giving of fresh pine scent.

For a scent on my boot soles I use either Red Fox pee (have had the best luck using this).

Don't wear your heavy stuff for a long walk in, wait til your at the stand to put that on to help control your body odor.

These things will help a little, but as always the wind is your best friend in the woods always.
Assassin 360 Strata
BEA Zombie Slayer - BEA Executioner
Boo/VixenMaster/Xcaliber/NCHunterKW Strings
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Budget scent control for me is to go pick milkweed pods and let dry in a paper bag. Once they are dry strip off the seeds and put the fluff in a container (I use an old breath mint container).

Release the fluff periodically when hunting so see where your scent cone is going and hunt accordingly.

The bottom line is that you will never fool a deer's nose. A deer's nose is better than a dogs. A deer has more surface area in its nose and they also have a Jacobson's organ that allows them to literally taste the air.

http://bowhunting.net/2013/01/new-deer-nose-research/

If you figure out a way to beat a dogs nose you can sell it to the drug cartels and retire to your own tropical island and drink drinks with umbrellas in them. :P

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I use the Sport Wash for my hunting clothes, Aveeno fragrance free body wash and Secret unscented antiperspirant/deodorant for me and a splash of Scent Killer spray in the field. I also pay very close attention to the wind as I don't believe these products are 100% effective. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
No One

Post by No One »

I agree I dont think any of it store bought or homemade works 100% of the time and yes I have been playing the wind. But all this may help the other newbs out there as well as me. One person mentioned fox pee. I wouldnt use it because foxes dont climb trees better off with raccoon pee from what I was told.
Black Eagle Executioners