Game Cameras

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

retrieverman

Re: Game Cameras

Post by retrieverman »

NEPAbowhunter wrote:I like my Browning Strike Force HD cam for videos. $130.00 free ship no PA sales tax plus a warranty. :D

http://www.trailcampro.com/
I've got 7 of the Strike Force cameras, and they are great.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

retrieverman wrote:
NEPAbowhunter wrote:I like my Browning Strike Force HD cam for videos. $130.00 free ship no PA sales tax plus a warranty. :D

http://www.trailcampro.com/
I've got 7 of the Strike Force cameras, and they are great.
NEPA and Retriever, what kind of accessories did you purchase for yours?

I'm reading about a package they have for $230 that comes with the security box, cable, rechargeable batteries, battery charger, 2-8gb cards, and a card reader for your computer.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
Bones

Post by Bones »

Have had good luck with bushnells ! My oldest 08-09 version still going, my other a 10-11 version has been flawless. Looking at another one was going to try the reconyx $$$ but after seeing that the new bushnell has the fastest trigger and recovery time. Thinking #3 will be that one. Alot will work good but from my experience the last few year's I knew I wanted fast trigger/ recovery time's
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

I use Homebrews exclusively now. Commercial camera manufactures Quality Control really turned me off. In two years or less all my commercial cams bit the dust.

If I was going to buy a commercial cam now it would be a Promos Proof Cam 01 or 02.

Because of theft I now mount my cameras up in the tree about 10 to 12 feet to discourage the slim balls and get them out of line of sight. Easy to do using a couple of climbing sticks.
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

ko4nrbs wrote:I use Homebrews exclusively now. Commercial camera manufactures Quality Control really turned me off. In two years or less all my commercial cams bit the dust.

If I was going to buy a commercial cam now it would be a Promos Proof Cam 01 or 02.

Because of theft I now mount my cameras up in the tree about 10 to 12 feet to discourage the slim balls and get them out of line of sight. Easy to do using a couple of climbing sticks.
Bill
Ok, back to homebrews. When I was reading the provided sites I didn't understand anything. Can someone break it down for me in caveman terms and simplistic, rough directions on how someone would go about building one on a budget? Again, these do not need to be the actual directions, but just a simplistic talk about what it would take.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

TheBig1 wrote:
NEPA and Retriever, what kind of accessories did you purchase for yours?

I'm reading about a package they have for $230 that comes with the security box, cable, rechargeable batteries, battery charger, 2-8gb cards, and a card reader for your computer.

Chad
I just bought just the cameras. Where I hunt, I don't need security boxes. I use lithium batteries (not rechargeables). My computer will read SD cards without an exterior reader, and Walmart sell cheap SD cards. The package deal is an extra hundred I don't need to spend.

I've actually found better prices on ebay, but prices on there are inconsistent.
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

TheBig1 wrote:
ko4nrbs wrote:I use Homebrews exclusively now. Commercial camera manufactures Quality Control really turned me off. In two years or less all my commercial cams bit the dust.

Bill
Ok, back to homebrews. When I was reading the provided sites I didn't understand anything. Can someone break it down for me in caveman terms and simplistic, rough directions on how someone would go about building one on a budget? Again, these do not need to be the actual directions, but just a simplistic talk about what it would take.
PM sent
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

I just found a 4 pack of the Browning Strike Forces on Amazon for $516
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

TheBig1 wrote:I just found a 4 pack of the Browning Strike Forces on Amazon for $516
I've seen better deals on eBay lately. I'd sure check there first.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

retrieverman wrote:
TheBig1 wrote:I just found a 4 pack of the Browning Strike Forces on Amazon for $516
I've seen better deals on eBay lately. I'd sure check there first.
I just did and it was around $420 if I remember correctly.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

There were some singles for under a hundred bucks with free shipping a few minutes ago.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I have a mixed bag so I've been able to see what works.

Moultrie M80: This is a 2011 model and is still going strong. It was just over $100 back then and I'd buy one again. Not the best trigger speed, but good enough and all else works as needed. I can get 1000's of pictures from one set of AAs.

Cuddyback 1200: The good? This one has great trigger speed. I get more photos of more animals with this one than any other. I've had it 10 months and still have the original set of batteries. The bad? Daytime photo quality is fair at best and nighttime is downright crappy. Even though the trigger speed is great, who cares if the pictures are crappy. I won't buy another.

Browning BTC3: Although more expensive than the others, it shows. The photo quality is great during the day and pretty good at night. Most every picture is clear. I've even ran it in video mode some and could hear the turkeys cluck on the way by. I can see why others have given high marks to the Browning cameras.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

DuckHunt wrote:I have a mixed bag so I've been able to see what works.

Moultrie M80: This is a 2011 model and is still going strong. It was just over $100 back then and I'd buy one again. Not the best trigger speed, but good enough and all else works as needed. I can get 1000's of pictures from one set of AAs.

Cuddyback 1200: The good? This one has great trigger speed. I get more photos of more animals with this one than any other. I've had it 10 months and still have the original set of batteries. The bad? Daytime photo quality is fair at best and nighttime is downright crappy. Even though the trigger speed is great, who cares if the pictures are crappy. I won't buy another.

Browning BTC3: Although more expensive than the others, it shows. The photo quality is great during the day and pretty good at night. Most every picture is clear. I've even ran it in video mode some and could hear the turkeys cluck on the way by. I can see why others have given high marks to the Browning cameras.

DuckHunt
Thank you Brother, I've been looking at those Browning Strike Force HD cameras.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
IroquoisArcher

Post by IroquoisArcher »

Bill probably gave you enough info. with his p.m. There is a section we put as those just starting out or looking for more information (http://www.diytrailcams.com/?forum=416437 and trail cam building/explainations http://www.diytrailcams.com/?forum=344671 ) to basically give those wanting to know a bit more what they can do and also a section listing common terms. One thing to keep in mind if deciding to go this route is to ask as many questions as you need to till you understand, we've all been there and I'm still there...and also to start simple and work up from there Too many guys try to make a "perfect" cam...which there is no such thing...and then get frustrated and give up.
The $800.00+ cameras you're refering to are probably the dslr's some are starting to hack and use for their game cameras. Too much bling for me (but so is a Ryconix? at $500.00 or so). These guys however are getting National Geographic quality pictures, more then the average guy would ever consider doing.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

IroquoisArcher wrote:Bill probably gave you enough info. with his p.m. There is a section we put as those just starting out or looking for more information (http://www.diytrailcams.com/?forum=416437 and trail cam building/explainations http://www.diytrailcams.com/?forum=344671 ) to basically give those wanting to know a bit more what they can do and also a section listing common terms. One thing to keep in mind if deciding to go this route is to ask as many questions as you need to till you understand, we've all been there and I'm still there...and also to start simple and work up from there Too many guys try to make a "perfect" cam...which there is no such thing...and then get frustrated and give up.
The $800.00+ cameras you're refering to are probably the dslr's some are starting to hack and use for their game cameras. Too much bling for me (but so is a Ryconix? at $500.00 or so). These guys however are getting National Geographic quality pictures, more then the average guy would ever consider doing.
Thanks Iroquois, I truly appreciate this info. I'll be checking it out tomorrow on my office computer when I get bored.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member