Game Cameras

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TheBig1

Game Cameras

Post by TheBig1 »

Hey folks, Chad again. I just posted a question about hang-on and two man ladder stands. To go along with these setups next year I'll be wanting a few game cameras.

As I asked with the treestand thread, which camera do you like the best and why? As far as cameras are concerned, which one is the best bang for your dollar?

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
vixenmaster

Re: Game Cameras

Post by vixenmaster »

Well good n cheap never seem to work out fer me. I have 2 Homebrews that have done well thru the yrs. I also really like the Covert that has the blk no flash about $160 each
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

vixenmaster wrote:Well good n cheap never seem to work out fer me. I have 2 Homebrews that have done well thru the yrs. I also really like the Covert that has the blk no flash about $160 each
A buddy of mine swears by Stealth Cams but I wanted to bring the topic to the board for discussion and see what everyone else has to say about things.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

I like my Browning Strike Force HD cam for videos. $130.00 free ship no PA sales tax plus a warranty. :D

http://www.trailcampro.com/
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

I have a lot of trouble with people stealing mine so one that's hard to spot or blends with the tree is what I try to buy .also I buy the cheaper priced ones, some take good pics . Check out Optics Planets spring Sales
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
JB'STAXIDERMY

Post by JB'STAXIDERMY »

X2 on the browning cameras takes crystal clear pics and have zero problems
Equinox
Hawke xb30 pro
Boo Trigger job
Firebolts
Slick Tricks
Vixenmaster string
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

TheBig1 wrote:
vixenmaster wrote:Well good n cheap never seem to work out fer me. I have 2 Homebrews that have done well thru the yrs. I also really like the Covert that has the blk no flash about $160 each
A buddy of mine swears by Stealth Cams but I wanted to bring the topic to the board for discussion and see what everyone else has to say about things.

I had several Stealth cams back 4-5 yrs ago. They were junk every one of them. Bushnell n Moultie would be better. I am jus partcial to the Covert models/Brand
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....I use the Moultrie A-8's which have suited me well (Under $80)...things are constantly stolen in NJ...i have the lockbox that goes over it and run a Masterlock Python cable lock through it... I also inscribe my last name and my NJ CID number on the steel case and on the actual camera...

....then I staple a note to the tree, "Do not touch...Owned by "La Costa Nostra!"" :shock: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This seems to work! :mrgreen:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
CalhounWV

Post by CalhounWV »

I want a camera that will let me know what wildlife is in the area, and what time it is there. I am not as concerned about the bells and whistles and super megapixel clarity at night.

The inexpensive WildGame camera from Rural King works well for what I need. was under $70.

Run a cable and lock instead of the bungee.

Something for thought about stolen cameras...... put a file folder on your SD card with your facebook and/or email address... with a message...

"Could you please send me the pics that were on the card, thanks. My facebook is (your name), my email is (your email). You can reach me by phone at (xxx) xxx-xxxx"

If they do send it... will give LEO something to work with for an electronic search warrant and obtain their IP address.
Matrix Grizzly, diablo bolts w/luminated nock, 150 gr. BAT boltcutters.
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I use Bushnell cameras. The batteries last for a year in them even in sub zero Wisconsin winters. My brother in-law couldn't get 2 weeks from his batteries in his Moultree cameras when the temps got down to freezing. This year he bought a stealth camera and we will see how well the batteries hold up this fall/winter.

Ron.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

I use Moultrie Black Flash Cams and couldn't be happier ! I would post up some video's but not quite sure how ? I think there 990i or 990ixt .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
IroquoisArcher

Post by IroquoisArcher »

X2 on homebrews. Commercial cams for me haven't been real succesful. Dad has a StealthCam and from seeing the pics. I'd never buy one. Bushnell seem (from the guys who told me about them) to have problems and when try to get warrenty work are told to send it back and are then told they need to upgrade and send in $$$ for it. Cuddies seem to be the best from what I've seen. One thing to remember on the cheaper ones is usually they get a year and then crap out (notice said usually from my experience). Have hear Covert is pretty good.
Like said though I prefer homebrews and can usually make them for under $100.00 depending on features I want. While commercial cams for the most part are faster the quality pic. from homebrews are usually better since they use a real camera in them.Couple websites to check if want to know more about them are:
www.diytrailcams.com
www.hagshouse.com
Here is just one pic. from a cheaper one I built. Most of them though I've had set out for hummingbirds and have stop winged pics. on.
Coon Gravy

Post by Coon Gravy »

My brother bought me a Primos Truthcam 35 Ultra on sale somewhere as a gift last year. I took it out and put it on a tree that looks at my front driveway and garage door to see how it worked, check for settings and whatnot. Long story short I caught the same brother who gave me the camera sneaking into my garage and "borrowing" my fishing gear several times over the next few weeks. He always brought it back and in good shape and I never mentioned this incident to him but I thought it was funny. I had to go buy another couple of cameras to use for hunting, that one is too good of a security system =)
Grizzly & 355
Keystone & Copenhagen
Go Big Red!
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Coon Gravy wrote:My brother bought me a Primos Truthcam 35 Ultra on sale somewhere as a gift last year. I took it out and put it on a tree that looks at my front driveway and garage door to see how it worked, check for settings and whatnot. Long story short I caught the same brother who gave me the camera sneaking into my garage and "borrowing" my fishing gear several times over the next few weeks. He always brought it back and in good shape and I never mentioned this incident to him but I thought it was funny. I had to go buy another couple of cameras to use for hunting, that one is too good of a security system =)
Now that's funny!!!! :lol:
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

NEPAbowhunter wrote:I like my Browning Strike Force HD cam for videos. $130.00 free ship no PA sales tax plus a warranty. :D

http://www.trailcampro.com/
Hey Brother, thank you very much for suggesting this website. It's got a lot of information to help make a purchase.

As for homebrews, I was looking at those two sites you suggested Iroquois and VM, I was reading things that I had no clue on what they meant. I think that might be out of my league. I was looking at some guys buying $800 cameras to build theirs, that's nuts. I truly appreciate the input though.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member