Ok, I need all your opinons on this...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SLP82

Ok, I need all your opinons on this...

Post by SLP82 »

I have a problem here. I took a deer and a hog on Saturday with my crossbow. Both were field dressed and quartered within 30 minutes after being killed. The deer was killed at almost noon Saturday, then the hog was killed around 630pm later that day. Both of the meat was rinsed in a cool water bowl and then immediately packed in ice. They both remained in ice until this morning. The water was drained out about every 36 hours and ice re-added. The ice chest was also kept in air conditioned house the whole time. Never was more than 25% of the ice melted before more ice was added. There was a significant amount of extra room in the cooler meaning there was a LOT of ice in there with the meat as the cooler was no where close to full capacity as far the meat was concerned. So the deer meat basically sat for 5 days in the ice in the cooler (again water drained every 36 hours), and the hog meat was at about 4 1/2 days. Both have been wrapped in freezer paper and are now in the freezer that I had to order and wait on (due to lack of room, and the freezer was back ordered). Now my female friend told me she would be "leary" about eating it. I am just wondering if I should throw out the 60 lbs of meat or not? All of it, but the back strap, will be ground up and mixed together here very soon, assuming the meat is still good. The meat did not smell funny when I was rapping it in freezer paper to put in the freezer. It was also all very cold. I did notice that on one of the "hams" on the hog, there was a small section that seemed a little "slimy". It seemed though almost like it was membrane that was over the meat. It did not smell funny though. And remember the hog was actually in the cooler a half a day less than the deer meat. I just want yall's opinion. Obviously if I do decided to eat any of this, I will 100% ensure that all meat is heated to 160 degrees.
Excalibur Matrix Grizzly
Diablo's w/Boltcutters
BrotherRon

Re: Ok, I need all your opinons on this...

Post by BrotherRon »

Well aged... Enjoy :mrgreen:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
BryanGrizzlyohio

Post by BryanGrizzlyohio »

My thoughts are this. Your putting way to much thought in what the female friend has said. Btw enjoy your harvest
Matrix grizzly
18" diablos
125gr grim reaper razor tip
Stock string an a purty sling
Twilight dlx optic
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I killed a small hog & a doe the same day a few years ago. I kept them both on ice for 4 days and then had them ground together into sausage. That was the best sausage i've ever ate in my life!! :)
Enjoy!! :wink:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Congrats on your successful hunt. It's fine, it was kept plenty cool. Freeze it, grind it, and enjoy it. No worries. I've let a deer hang in my garage for over a week in the winter before I was able to butcher it. You essentially did the same thing by keeping it in the coolers on constant ice.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
SLP82

Post by SLP82 »

Good deal! I am so relieved to hear that from all of you. My worries are gone. I will proceed with grinding it up this weekend. I get to test out the new 3/4 HP Cabelas commercial grade grinder I just bought! They are on sale right now too by the way if anyone is in the market for a grinder, and they have great reviews from over 1,000 people. All stainless steel, and all metal gears internal with a 5 yr warranty.
Excalibur Matrix Grizzly
Diablo's w/Boltcutters
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

I agree with what everyone has said (except for your lady friend :D )
Good to go. Enjoy and congrats on your success.

You are gonna love your grinder. I got the 1 horse and I wouldn't take love or money for it. 8)
Last edited by Crazy Horse on Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sooner44

Post by Sooner44 »

I always soak my meat for 3 days in ice water before I process / freeze. As long as the meat was kept below 40 deg F, you will be fine.
DeathMerchant

Post by DeathMerchant »

Sounds well aged and cooled down to me. Assuming you'll follow the usual methods of thorough cooking when the time comes, I'm sure there won't be a problem. If you are still leery of it, pack it in dry ice and ship it up here.
Matrix 380 Blackout
HHA Optimizer Speed Dial, Air Brakes, DR Kit, TriggerTech SS
Vixen II (Wifes)
Semper Fi
Buddyshort

Post by Buddyshort »

Eat it!! Thats the way most around here does all our meat
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

We keep our Georgia hogs iced down for a week sometimes before we get around to wrapping them. Eat up.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I find that lady friends err on the side of caution, bordering on overreaction! At least that's the case with my head lady friend! All you did ws age the meat, like any butcher would do. You drained standing water that can harbour bacteria. i bet your good to go!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

feed the gal a carrot and enjoy your hams you put time in the right way :D
Fullquiver

Post by Fullquiver »

I have a certificate in better food processing from Purdue University and I will tell you with out doubt that it is fine if everything is as you said.... Your friend is being a little over-sensitive... I would eat it without hesitation.. To be honest the biggest problems people have with meat stem from undercooking meat and not handling meat that has touched waste from inside the digestive tract with proper care... That's info you can take to the bank....
A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit.
woodmnctry

Post by woodmnctry »

You have not even come close to the English tradition of hanging it by its neck till it falls off -- then it is properly aged --- at least that is my understanding -- anyway I would say you are in good shape to eat and enjoy