Thoughts on Grizzly Matrix and Excalibur Boltcutters

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SLP82

Thoughts on Grizzly Matrix and Excalibur Boltcutters

Post by SLP82 »

I just wanted to give some thoughts on my experience after taking a hog and a deer with my Grizzly Matrix and using Excalibur Bolt-cutter broadheads.

First let me also say, my buddy also bought a Grizzly Matrix at the same time and was also using Bolt-cutters and we also took two deer (spike and doe).

So, all four of our shots, went clean through all four animals. That being said, unless you are hunting Elk, Moose, or Bear, I do not see a need for anything more powerful than a Grizzly Matrix. Before purchasing my Grizzly Matrix, I kept feeling like I was going to be under-powered, but do to such a great deal on the crossbow (free extra arrows and broad-heads plus an amazing price), I went with the Grizzly Matrix. Now, I feel this thing has PLENTY of power. Both of my shots were through the rib cage, one went through the heart, and the other was double lung... both arrows went clean through the deer. My first shot was from a ground position and the arrow still had so much power that I was unable to find it. I quickly realized why shooting from tree stands is preferable unless you want to replace arrows and broad heads. The deer ran only about 25 yards and then dropped, flopped a few times, and expired in about 3 minutes. The hog dropped in place, kicked around in a circle about 3 times, and expired in less than a minute. The hog was about 90 lbs, the spike was a very large spike that was significantly heavier as I could not lift it onto the back of the atv by myself.

Now my buddy shot his doe with a double lung shot and it dropped about 40 yards away and expired in under 4 minutes. His spike he hit dead center in the front shoulder and the bolt cutter punched right through the shoulder and exited the other side into the ground (he was in a tree blind). His spike ran about 25 yards and died in under 4 minutes. We both could not believe how between four shots, and despite shoulder blades and ribs, these arrows punch right through. I don't know if it is the broad heads, or just that crossbows in general are more powerful than most vertical bows, but I personally see no need for a 400 fps crossbow. I would need a post hole digger to find my arrows!

That being said, if anyone is short on cash or wanting to get into this sport, but doesn't want to drop big money yet, the Matrix Grizzly is a great place to start!!! It has PLENTY of power! The bolt cutter broad heads also were very impressive. I'll admit, I got caught up in the broad head hype... I thought the bolt cutters were wimpy looking compared to many other brands and the only reason I used them was because they came free with my crossbow. Well whom ever did that was a smart man, because I am a firm believe of "if it isn't broke, don't fix it". I will not be using only bolt cutters until they eventually let me down. I even already ordered new blades for them to swap them out when I feel these are getting too dull. Even then I will likely sharpen the older ones a few times before completely tossing them out.

Good luck to all of you this hunting season!!!
Excalibur Matrix Grizzly
Diablo's w/Boltcutters
georgiaboy

Re: Thoughts on Grizzly Matrix and Excalibur Boltcutters

Post by georgiaboy »

Congrats!!! :D :D
I went through a bit of the " need for speed " but i've killed deer & hogs with four different excal's now...Ibex, Vortex, Axiom & a Vixen. :)
The Vixen sends the broad head through the animal at 40yds just as much as the rest of them!! :D 8)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
drobinette

Post by drobinette »

I agree 100 percent with the OP's assessment of both the grizzly and the boltcutters. This is my first year hunting with any sort of bow. I went with Excalibur for the simplicity and price. I was my disappointed with either the bow or broadheads to date. I was able to take a hefty 180 lb 7 point buck during Virginia's bow opener on 10/3. 13 yard shot from the ground with complete pass through on both lungs. The bolt cutters left an amazing blood trail to the buck who was found 40 yards from the site of the shot. With good shot placement, I have all the confidence in the world in this package from any ethical distance. I began bow hunting this year in response to issues I have had as a private land owner with deer dog hunting clubs in my area during the general firearms season. For those of you that live in areas where dogs are my used to chase deer, count yourselves lucky. Overall, I am more than pleased with my Excalibur bow and broadheads and will continue to use them for seasons to come. I would also like to thank everyone here on the forum for their advice as I have spent countless hours reading threads to learn some of your tried and true tactics and best practices with these bows. I hope everyone continues to have a good deer season and hope everyone can stay safe.
2015 Grizzly
18" Diablos
Boltcutters
grouse

Post by grouse »

Native Americans killed grizzly bears, bison, moose, elk etc. with low tech long bows averaging 30-40 lbs of draw weight (probably well under 200 fps.) using arrows made of sticks as straight as they could get them and sharpened rocks for arrow heads. A 300 fps. arrow fired from a deadly accurate scope topped crossbow, tipped with a razor sharp steel broadhead is light years ahead of the Indian's equipment and way more than enough to kill anything we hunt. You will probably want another crossbow some day, but you definitely won't need it.
axiom
350 SE
deertrx

Post by deertrx »

Good job on your hunting Excals Rock! :D The Grizz is a sweet bow! Enjoy! :D
deertrx
Matrix 380 Xtra " Sweets "
Leupold Crossbones
TT Matrix Hunter 2.5
Boo Strings Danny Millers Bumpers
18" BE Zombies, Slick Trick 150 xbow BH's
" She's a beaut Clark! "
Cibby

Post by Cibby »

That's why I bought a Grizzly. I've shot deer with a recurve and low power compounds when they first came out. I could have bought a more powerful Excalibur but the Griz seemed powerful enough for my hunting. I also use Boltcutter broadheads. I just haven't shot a deer yet as I don't hunt for meat anymore with only 1 buck tag in PA I try for a trophy now days.
BryanGrizzlyohio

Post by BryanGrizzlyohio »

Cibby wrote:That's why I bought a Grizzly. I've shot deer with a recurve and low power compounds when they first came out. I could have bought a more powerful Excalibur but the Griz seemed powerful enough for my hunting. I also use Boltcutter broadheads. I just haven't shot a deer yet as I don't hunt for meat anymore with only 1 buck tag in PA I try for a trophy now days.

I bought a grizzly as well an very impressed with the energy it produces. I'll be hunting with the diablos was gonna use aluminums but it hits the target like a Mack.truck an needless to say with the difficulty of removing them they have bent easily
Matrix grizzly
18" diablos
125gr grim reaper razor tip
Stock string an a purty sling
Twilight dlx optic