bumping your scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JB'STAXIDERMY

bumping your scope

Post by JB'STAXIDERMY »

So i was hunting yesterday evening and had my equinox strapped to my treestand after the 45 min hike up the mountain ( which was straight up) i got to my tree and took my stand off and it slipped and hit the ground on my scope.... ( twilight dlx) took a pretty good lick. So i shot it today and it was about 3 in high and 2 in right at 50 yds .... a couple of shoots and she was zeroed in ....... has anyone else bumped there scope and it not be off or was it way off.
Equinox
Hawke xb30 pro
Boo Trigger job
Firebolts
Slick Tricks
Vixenmaster string
TheBig1

Re: bumping your scope

Post by TheBig1 »

Literally two hours ago I was shooting some Diablo Lumens in with Bolt Cutters. I was using my wife's camping chair because my fat guy chair is in the mountains in my blind. I shoot, put my hands on each arm and push to stand up. The left arm of the chair broke and I knocked The Griz off of the table with my video camera attached to the top. Luckily for me The Griz is like a cat and landed right side up, no damage done.

Took a shot at 50 yards and was still drilling groups.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

TheBig1 wrote:because my fat guy chair is in the mountains in my blind.

I enjoy your humor... :)
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

GrassyKnoll wrote:
TheBig1 wrote:because my fat guy chair is in the mountains in my blind.

I enjoy your humor... :)
I call um like I see um! :lol:
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Sometimes when you bump a scope you actually can "rotate" it in the mounts the simple impact can be absorbed just like recoil . Just make sure it the crosshairs are square. When i know a scope is good i take a sharp metal scribe n mark the areas where the rings have the gap on both sides with a micro line that way you have a visual to see if you have furure movement. You can also scribe a micro line along a ring to look for back n forth movement. .... anybody out there with a ruger 10 22 knows about scope movement there known for movin a scope with cheap rings. Scribing is free insurance.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

I've always been told that if you "bump" a scope hard enough to alter the point of impact that you've damaged the scope internally, but I've never tried to prove or disprove that.
ohiobuck

Post by ohiobuck »

Mine goes down on the scope every time. I can't get to lower onto the belly. I sit there trying for a few minutes every time. I usually wait till I get home and discharge in to my target. zero hasn't shifted yet. However..I haven't locktighted my scope mount screws. That needs to be done now. I can feel the slightest movement out of it.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

No mystery that the factory scopes are not military or competition grade, but they are perfect for what they are made to do.
I bump mine a lot, just doing normal stuff, and I never worry. Here is why:
I was settling in a new string in my early days, figured shooting it was the fastest way, and I was right. Set up 2 lawn chairs, one with a bag, the other, in my garage to lean my bow against. I was doing home renovations at the time, so whenever I got a second to run down to shoot it, I did.
I was in a hurry, I would shoot quick, recock, go back to my tool belt.
This is the same technique that I used to shoot my bow while the rope cocker was still on (long story).
House full of help, I stood my bow up to draw the string, like we all do, foot firmly in the stirrup, and pull. Well, I got sidetracked, half way up I got distracted, the bow fell forward and landed right on the scope. So hard that I had to pick little chunks of gravel that were embedded in to the aluminum housing of the scope, it hit hard.
Brought it straight to the backyard to see how bad I messed it up, and was pleasantly surprised when it made no affect on my POI, none. Since then, I worry a lot less about the other 20 little bumps it takes during an average hunt.
Hunt with confidence.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

I dropped my Equinox with a Nikon Bolt Xr scope from a 16' tree stand and no damage or change in POI from the CB or scope. I guess that I was just lucky.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
JB'STAXIDERMY

Post by JB'STAXIDERMY »

I honestly think my scope moved because of the weight of my treestand and pack coming down on the eye piece of the scope is what changed my poi cause it was a good 25lbs of weight coming down on the scope and it was a hard enough impact that the scope made an indention in the ground ..... but it is nice to know that the majority of the guys have bumped there scopes and havent had any problems .... i also have a flemish string on my equinox and the poi could have changed from the string settling a little bit and with the scope but shes all good to go now just need the deer to cooperate and ill be happy
Equinox
Hawke xb30 pro
Boo Trigger job
Firebolts
Slick Tricks
Vixenmaster string