Where to shoot a turkey?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sam, just Sam...

Where to shoot a turkey?

Post by Sam, just Sam... »

Last night while in the woods in Virginia, I had 3 gobblers come up behind me. Whether I smelled or was too visible I spooked them. This got me thinking, if they had come into range, where would I shoot one? I had a muzzy blade on my quill, and I carry a few rages and a small game tip for 'yotes and 'coons. If I shot the breast would it rip up the meat? Could I hit one square in the head? Or the neck? If it was <30 yards I feel like I could hit within a feather of where I'm aiming with no wind, but where to aim?
Titus 2:11-14, 2 Cor 5:11-21,
Micro, not much done to it, pretty awesome as is.
Sam
wabi

Re: Where to shoot a turkey?

Post by wabi »

Base of the wing for a broadside shot.
wabi
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

There are three places broadside at the wing butt larger target area . Below the tail feathers facing away . through the front facing you . Keep in mind a turkey has a small target area . I take a soup or soda can and trace the bottom of the can that is about the size of your target .
Turkey slayer

Post by Turkey slayer »

Agree broadside base of the wing or threw the wing my favorite bow shot is them going way dead center in the back an if facing you dead center chest . An out of the broadheads you have in your quiver Id go with the rage imo , there will be some meat damage but plenty to still eat , an a group of gobblers will pick you out everytime if you don't spot them first or sit completely still unlike jennies which rely on the mature hens to spot danger first . A fall gobbler is a trophy to be proud of weather bow or gun love chasing them in the fall as well as spring lol
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

google shot location for turkeys. always helps to have a visual reference. I shoot my birds with a Muzzy.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I keep a Magnus bull head with me in the fall just in case I see a turkey . they are only good for head shots if you hit "dead bird" if you miss not a problem . that's the only head I use in the spring. you will have success with any head you choose . go on the national turkey federation web sight and you can pick up a lot of info there.
W.M.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

They didnt smell ya, turkeys have no sense of smell. I agree where wing meets bird is the best shot placement. Avoid hitting the breastmeat at all costs! Some folks only eat the breast and consider the rest throw away. I am not one of them but it shows ya how valuable the breast meat is. My fav is smoking the whole bird in my traeger
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Sam, just Sam...

Post by Sam, just Sam... »

Thanks everybody. There is a lot of good info here. I was wearing a little blaze orange (wasn't hunting alone), and I think when I turned around to look at them they spotted me. I tried to sit still, but the damage was done. Next time I'll know.
Sam
Titus 2:11-14, 2 Cor 5:11-21,
Micro, not much done to it, pretty awesome as is.
Sam
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

They say if turkeys could smell, we would never be able to shoot one. Like One Shot Scott said, they cannot smell, they can smell you as good as you can smell them lol but they do see in color, and have excellent hearing.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
cdn.redneck

Post by cdn.redneck »

Shoot the head, so it will be 50/50 :mrgreen:
Leupold crossbones
Mathews Monster 7.0
Black Eagle - Carbon Express - Easton