Exocet 200

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Geoffrey_the_giraffe

Exocet 200

Post by Geoffrey_the_giraffe »

Howdy folks, well after years of pontificating and occasionally window shopping for these fantastic Excalibur bows I finally picked one up today!

I grabbed what looks to be a well used Exocet 200, complete with scope, quiver and a few bolts. The bow still appears to be in good shape, including the string/scope etc..just wondering if there anything I need to check before use? Way back when I remember a salesman mentioning there was a wax that these bows need?

Also is there a range or archery club in the G.T.A. that I can go for some assistance or to practice shoot? I got 3 bolts included all with broadheads, can I use these or do i need to buy practice tips?

oh and one other thing, can i transport and walk around with the bow as is, or am i required to buy a case?

Sorry for all the Q's!
Last edited by Geoffrey_the_giraffe on Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
one shot scott

Re: Exocet 200

Post by one shot scott »

Welcome. I would site in with your broadheads so you know where they are hitting. practise tips and bheads dont always hit the same place. Cant help ya with an archery range in the GTA. Im too far away.

bows are technically required to be cased during non hunting hours if your in the woods. If ya find a pillow case big enough and tie it shut then your legal. Garbage bag works too but there are obviuos noise issues..

exocet is one of my old time favs, but mine is badged as a Y25.

oh ya, lil wax on the serving, every 20 shots or so...whole string every 50ish. none on the rail. Everyone has a different waxing theory, some use none at all
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Congrats on your new Exocet...t's a fine bow. I have it's brother the Vortex and it has given me years of trouble free service.

I would go over the bow and make sure all the fasteners are tight I would also cock the bow, put the safety on and run a cotton ball over the limbs to check for cracks and splinters on the limbs. I'd also check the string's brace height to make sure it is between the markings on the rail or the correct distance off the bumpers if you have them. Once that's done I'd fire a few shots to see that the scope is zeroed proper.

The bow string does require waxing once in a while. Daltons is pretty popular around here. Apply a very small amount to the string and serving and then rub your fingers up and down the string to warm the wax and work it in.

If you are hunting the bow needs to be cased anytime outside of legal shooting hours. A case isn't required to take it elsewhere, shooting range, repair shop, in and out of the house etc but it's not a bad idea to have it in a case if you have one.

Welcome to the forum and have fun with your new Excal. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Geoffrey_the_giraffe

Thanks for the replies, as far as an archery club/range to practice, anything out there?

This is the bow:

seems to have an older style simpler camo pattern.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

nice! she has mag tip limbs as opposed to the carved tip. I cant tell much about the riser but i think it looks like a cast one? the camo was excaliburs own. there are others here who know all the older bows better than I, but that bow should treat you well. Giving the age, im not sure it would be the 200
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Boo

Post by Boo »

That is an Exocet 175 with a cast riser. Great bow!
There is nothing crossbow friendly in the GTA. There is a range near the Science Center. It's owned by the city and run by the Olympic archery team and does not allow crossbows. It is not policed and I've seen kids shooting target butts with a pellet rifle so........
There are places in the outskirts of the GTA. If you can't find anything click the email link below and I'll help you out.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Deer don't know the difference if shot with a fancy new bow or an older bow, go practice and have a great hunt. I whacked a nice doe two weeks ago with my Exocet 200 and now rifle season is around the corner and I'm thinking I will bring my bow with me in case a buck comes close, nothing gets your adrenaline pumping more than hearing an arrow whack a deer compared to using my rifle.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Nice bow !!!! You did not mention, but did a stringing device come with your bow ? You will need one to change strings and maintain proper brace height.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

I have the same bow! Great bow you will love it!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
jparchery

Post by jparchery »

Nice bow, call Caledon archery club I think they allow crossbows for outdoor shooting.
Geoffrey_the_giraffe

Thanks for all the replies. Well I went to a range about 45mins away from me to get the bow sighted in and just to have some fun and use the darn thing! :wink:

It seemed to work well, although there was a fair bit of vibration when firing. It was off by a bit so took the better part of an hour to get it sighted, did roughly 30 shots in total, by the end I was hitting 40 and 50 yard targets near the inner ring. A couple days later I picked up some string wax and a bottle of jigaloo for the deck.

Yesterday I went back to the range, there was less vibration and it seemed to be more accurate as well! That didn't stop me from burying a bolt square in a tree! :roll:

I purchased a few new 20" carbon bolts with practice tips from the pro shop, the nocks they gave me were the half moon ones, is that what this bow requires?

8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Flat Nocks only , Call Jerry at South Shore Archery and He'll build you some great Arrows and save you ALOT of trouble and wasted time .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Geoffrey_the_giraffe

Thanks, I know I need 20" bolts, what weight will work best for both bolt and tip? Looking for best accuracy possible.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

I'm shooting 20" Black Eagle Executioners with 100 grain heads , 92gr brass inserts and aluminum flat nocks , Fletched with Bohning Blazers . Total weight is 413gr . With this setup my Exocet shot 317 fps through the chrono . 1" groups at 40yds .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Geoffrey_the_giraffe

Thanks, I'm wondering if anyone has tried these:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/12-Pcs-Carbon-Ar ... SwzrxUxz35

I'm thinking it might work ok to use as target/3D range arrows?