Grizzly/micro/scope advice needed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

snugs

Grizzly/micro/scope advice needed

Post by snugs »

1) I know there is not a recommended torque, but what is a good torque to use on the default rings that come with the grizzly ?

2) I bought the grizzly for what seems to be a very good deal at $450, but now I'm wondering if I should return it for the micro $900. I ran some numbers and it looks like I would be spending about $330 more to get the micro after upgrades and tax differences. Would the micro really be significantly better for shots at around 50 yards and in? I realize it is better but is it really going to be that much better? Would I be better off spending the money on a better scope? Or just saving the money?

3) if I wanted to upgrade the scope on my grizzly, what would be a great scope for hunting in low light conditions? I would want to scope that would be significantly better then the default varizone scope for low light. I would also want the reticle to have aiming points for different yardages such as 20 30 40 50 , of course adjustable based on the FPS . I'm looking for specific brand/model and the rings I would need. What I have seen so far browsing the forums is Zeiss, hawke, Leupold.

I have owned an equinox for a while now. It is a great bow the only negative is that it is wide and heavy, but the vari zone scope, although I really like the scope, does not perform excellent in low light.

I'm thinking the best thing I could do is to upgrade the scope, but any advice would be appreciated. I like the scope enough that I may just leave it, but if I could significantly improve my low light that may really be the best thing since that is when the deer are usually moving .
Last question, should I sell my equinox or keep it as a back up.?
vixenmaster

Re: Grizzly/micro/scope advice needed

Post by vixenmaster »

Well the choice you made vs the one you want to make will eat you alive. Yup you have already messed wid yer thinkin is the Grizz good enuff, no its not fer the yardage you wantin to shoot. 50 yds wid a Grizz thats startin out at under 300 fps yer pushin the envelope past 35-40 yds. Scopes need yer eye ball lookin thru them in the light/darkness you plan to hunt in, done been that route. 50 yds is a long way out there usin a slow fps crossbow model. You gonna shoot at 50 yds buy a faster model, nutten less that 350 fps usin yer arrow weight . 50 yds be a real long poke wid a Micro n 400gr arrow setup. I passed on an 8 pt about 10 days ago at 65 yds wid mine. Jus too fer n tryin to make Captain Morgan sumpin he ain't
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

I have the Grizzly and couldn't be happier with it.

I cannot answer your first or second questions as I don't know the first and the second is a personal choice. I bought the Grizzly due to budget constraints and am happy with my purchase. Would I upgrade in the future? Of course I would, I'd love to have one of each but it's not possible at this time. Do one of two things, either don't question yourself or make the change, it's a personal choice. Again, I will tell you that I couldn't be happier with my Grizzly and new scope combo. If I remember correctly, my Hawke said to tighten to 30lbs of torque.

As for your third question, I upgraded my scope to the Hawke XB30 Pro SR for low light conditions and couldn't be happier. I got it for $225 and a set of Leupold Rifleman 30mm rings for $10. I am hitting dead on at 50 yards with a 413gr arrow and since it's got reticles out to 100 yards, you know I had to play with it just for fun. I was able to put 3 arrows in my 16"x16" Block target at 100 yards.

Good luck with your choice, you done messed up now!! :lol:

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
canoe13

Post by canoe13 »

If you want more speed upgrade to a 355 ,more speed than the Micro with less cocking effort and cheaper. But if money is tight then upgrade the scope first.
Mag Air
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Excalibur Quills
Tooth of the Arrow broadheads
Vixenmaster strings
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

snugs if'en you can return it do so. Getstid yerself a faster model that has the fps speed to reach out n touch someone!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
deertrx

Post by deertrx »

My buddy shot his best bow kill buck this past weekend with the GRIZZLY! 13 pointer dressed 193#'s 25 yd shot quartering away 2 blade 100 grn rage BH. The buck ran through a corn field and dropped in about a 100 yds! Red corn everywhere! :D The Grizz is a solid performer for the money. The deal is confidence in your setup all the way through. You will tweek every model to your own style! :) 50 Yards is along shot for hunting unless you know the bow well and have a solid rest. Stock scopes work ok it's just what you are use to on the best choice! I have used Leupold on Shotguns, muzzeloaders and now crossbows they are worth the higher Bucks$$$! Enjoy! Excalibur rocks............
deertrx
Matrix 380 Xtra " Sweets "
Leupold Crossbones
TT Matrix Hunter 2.5
Boo Strings Danny Millers Bumpers
18" BE Zombies, Slick Trick 150 xbow BH's
" She's a beaut Clark! "
snugs

Post by snugs »

Leaning toward keeping the grizzly.
What is the reticle like on the hawke ? So it's a lot better than the varizone for low light? Did you do a side by side in last light?
Any other scopes better?
The only one I've seen coming up in searching is zeiss, vortex, Nikon, hawke, Leupold.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Take a good look at the Nikon Bolt in the classifieds.... awesome scopes ... as clear as my leupold and the graduations are set for the speed of your grizzly. :shock:

I have one on my Axiom which is rated the same as your Grizzly and it's nearly perfect from 20 thru 40 yards. ( as far as I use it as the 355 takes care of my longer range needs. ) :wink:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
BryanGrizzlyohio

Post by BryanGrizzlyohio »

vixenmaster wrote:Well the choice you made vs the one you want to make will eat you alive. Yup you have already messed wid yer thinkin is the Grizz good enuff, no its not fer the yardage you wantin to shoot. 50 yds wid a Grizz thats startin out at under 300 fps yer pushin the envelope past 35-40 yds. Scopes need yer eye ball lookin thru them in the light/darkness you plan to hunt in, done been that route. 50 yds is a long way out there usin a slow fps crossbow model. You gonna shoot at 50 yds buy a faster model, nutten less that 350 fps usin yer arrow weight . 50 yds be a real long poke wid a Micro n 400gr arrow setup. I passed on an 8 pt about 10 days ago at 65 yds wid mine. Jus too fer n tryin to make Captain Morgan sumpin he ain't

I'm.putting out 1.5 groups at 50 yards am burying the diablos over half way in. Now would I take a 50 yard shot at a deer nope 35-40 has always been my max to many variables to happen at that distance I'd rather let it walk than wound
Matrix grizzly
18" diablos
125gr grim reaper razor tip
Stock string an a purty sling
Twilight dlx optic
snugs

Post by snugs »

L. E. Carroll wrote:Take a good look at the Nikon Bolt in the classifieds.... awesome scopes ... as clear as my leupold and the graduations are set for the speed of your grizzly. :shock:

I have one on my Axiom which is rated the same as your Grizzly and it's nearly perfect from 20 thru 40 yards. ( as far as I use it as the 355 takes care of my longer range needs. ) :wink:

Gene
Have you tried using the Nikon bolt at distances over 40 yards such as 50 yards? How far off is it when you use it at these distances?

How do you adjust for different feet per second if it's not exactly 305 and the scope is at 305? For the grizzly with this even make much difference at all if it was shooting at say 300?
Have you done a side-by-side with this and the vari zone scope in low light?
How does this compare to the hawke?

Thanks for all the replies!

I've decided to keep the grizzly
snugs

Post by snugs »

If my math is correct, we are only talking about a difference of .02 seconds at 50 yards between a 305FPS and 350 FPS.
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I aint sure about the math part since I took up a lot of space in school. :lol:
But the difference between the Grizzly and the 355 is outa this world. At 40 yards my 310 will drop considerably compared to my 330.
I wouldn't shoot at a deer over 40 yards with any crossbow since a half a step could mean a wounded deer that would wander off and die without ever being found. Getting the deer within reasonable range is what good archery is all about. All of the deer I have shot with my vertical bows were within 25 yards and most were within 18 yards. I am hoping to get blood on both my Matrix xbows this year, and all of my stands except one are set up for 15 to 30 yards. The one stand I have overlooking the swamp has no limits on distance with a rifle, but I will limit myself to 40 yards with a my 330 that shoots half dollar groups at 60 yards. We have some very nice bucks in the area and I would not want to wound one being foolish.... way too many variables in the woods at ranges over 40 yards with a crossbow. One blade of grass can cause you to shoot the opposite end you aimed at. :wink:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
wabi

Post by wabi »

With the Grizzly I would keep shots less than 40 yards. Actually with my Phoenix (same advertised velocity) I limit myself to 35 yards maximum, and prefer to keep shots 20 yards or less.

For a crossbow I recommend only Excalibur, and for a scope I recommend only Leupold.
wabi
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I have shot both the Vari-zone and the Bolt on both my 355 and my 305 fps Axiom... the Bolt's graduations are almost perfect for the Axom speeds ... the 355 is off after 30 yards as the next graduation is about 48-49 yards followed by 59-62 yards for the next graduation . ( but this is with a 389gn arrow ).

The Bolt is far superior in clarity and light gathering ability at dawn and dusk... that's why it is on my Axiom and the Vari-zone is in the gun safe as a back up.

BTW, I have a Leupold X-bones on my 355 now and love it. A perfect fit !!!
However, I had the Nikon on Sept. 9 th. ( leupold had not arrived yet ) when I took the Bull in my avatar at about 47 yards, :oops: That was more than I would normally consider ...but in the heat of the moment I took the shot kneeling with my knee as a rest and the bull standing "still and broadside" but slightly facing me. :oops: That slightly facing me position could have been much better as it resulted in a long hard tracking job and recovery..... :roll: No more long shots for me even with a flat shooting bow.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
deertrx

Post by deertrx »

BrotherRon wrote:I aint sure about the math part since I took up a lot of space in school. :lol:
But the difference between the Grizzly and the 355 is outa this world. At 40 yards my 310 will drop considerably compared to my 330.
I wouldn't shoot at a deer over 40 yards with any crossbow since a half a step could mean a wounded deer that would wander off and die without ever being found. Getting the deer within reasonable range is what good archery is all about. All of the deer I have shot with my vertical bows were within 25 yards and most were within 18 yards. I am hoping to get blood on both my Matrix xbows this year, and all of my stands except one are set up for 15 to 30 yards. The one stand I have overlooking the swamp has no limits on distance with a rifle, but I will limit myself to 40 yards with a my 330 that shoots half dollar groups at 60 yards. We have some very nice bucks in the area and I would not want to wound one being foolish.... way too many variables in the woods at ranges over 40 yards with a crossbow. One blade of grass can cause you to shoot the opposite end you aimed at. :wink:
Well said Ron! :D
deertrx
Matrix 380 Xtra " Sweets "
Leupold Crossbones
TT Matrix Hunter 2.5
Boo Strings Danny Millers Bumpers
18" BE Zombies, Slick Trick 150 xbow BH's
" She's a beaut Clark! "